Thread: Sunbeam EM4800 modifications

Sunbeam EM4800 modifications

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey guys! Coffee novice here picking things up as I go. I have the EM4800 which has been sitting in the cupboard for a few months and ive pulled it out, descaled it and used it the past few mornings. Ive noticed reading alot about modifying this machine with parts from the krups machine. I am considering purchasing the basket and group seal from a local electric motor shop which apparently sells replacement krups parts.

Forgive me for being a novice, but could someone suggest to me the best basket and group seal (including part numbers) which work with little or no modification with this machine.

Also I took the plastic piece out of the portafilter and once cleaned tried to screw it back in but it wouldnt seal anymore, even after using plumbers tape on the screw. Now whenever i use it, the coffee comes out both nozzles while water comes out the middle screw area and dilutes the espresso :(

p.s. Im a cappucino man if it helps, and Im gonna be making my first purchase of freshly roasted ground beans from peaberrys (my local roast in Newcastle) when I get this machine modified and sorted.

A_M

Re: Sunbeam EM4800 modifications

Quote Originally Posted by 35252932322F352E34272B2429460 link=1276473920/0#0 date=1276473920
    Also I took the plastic piece out of the portafilter and once cleaned tried to screw it back in but it wouldnt seal anymore, even after using plumbers tape on the screw. Now whenever i use it, the coffee comes out both nozzles while water comes out the middle screw area and dilutes the espresso *
    This does not make sense ??

IT will be coffee or water from all three... *If you can get coffee from two and water from one... * Then that is truly amazing.. The Druids and or the Kelpies would truly be impressed ;)

I ended up dumping the plastic thing and can recomend doing just that..

Get a slightly bigger SS *screw *(short) and use to block the *old screw hole.. (super cheer Autu even have plastic screws... Easer to cut to length.

Warning... Do not scrub the insides with any scourer... You will bugger up the *surface.. *Use the correct cleaner only and lots of hot water every day and you will be fine..

soz what i mean is, coffee with the water comes out of both the proper nozzles, while a stream of clear water leaks from the screw hole, diluting the coffee. I will try using a bigger screw and see how i go, cheers.

Sorry, i realise how silly it sounds considering its all coming fom the same source haha, im not 100% sure whats happening but the description above is how im seeing it.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 12020E151508120913000C030E610 link=1276473920/2#2 date=1276480353
    soz what i mean is, coffee with the water comes out of both the proper nozzles, while a stream of clear water leaks from the screw hole,
    That could only happen if clear water was trapped in teh group... And would only be a ml or two at best ???

Clean teh group properly...

Other than that get a SS or Plastic screw as advised previously..