Thread: How to get best out of Via Venezia? + Which grinder?

How to get best out of Via Venezia? + Which grinder?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all ... First post here ... I wish I had discovered this forum before I went out and bought a Via Venezia ... From what I can pick up, maybe I should have saved a few more hundred dollars and gone for something a little more up market for my first espresso maker. Anyway, Im stuck with it now, and want to set it up to produce the best coffee that it is capable of. What sort of unpressurised basket mods do I need to make? (specific brands/models?) What mods need to be made to the steam delivery circuit? (specific brands/models?). What grinder would people reccommend assuming a budget of about $400?. Can I find this sort of stuff and get some good face to face advice in Adelaide?
    Cheers
    Greg

Re: How to get best out of Via Venezia? + Which grinder?

Welcome to CS Greg.

The Via Venezia is an excellent realiable starter machine at base price so I wouldnt be concerned about it *:)

If you want to go down the path of getting an unpressurised group handle all you need do is buy one from a Saeco dealer. You only need the group handle, as you just pull the filter out of your pressurised group handle and swap it over....its the same filter.

You dont modify anything wrt the steam circuit. If you dont want the standard steam arm entraining air *into the milk, just slip the outer sheath off it and leave the internal pipe alone. It works very well.

After that.....enjoy your machine.

I have a thing for the Iberital Challenge as the best starter grinder on the market. You buy it, you adjust it, and it runs reliably for years without any form of modification. * There are cheaper grinders, but I cant see the point of paying less then having to do mods for it to be fit for purpose. The Iberital is fit for purpose when you buy it, and is in your price bracket.

If you want better, you have to pay more.

If you want to talk to someone in Adelaide, go see Marc at The Coffee Barun...find him at left in the list of sponsors.

If you have a hankering to buy a grinder by mail order instead of face to face from Marc, by all means give me a yell off form.

Regardz,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

TC

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1276986114/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

Spend all that you can on the grinder so it will see you into perhaps a better machine in a few years. There is some good deals in the secondhand section here at present or as Attilio mentioned the Ibiteral is a good one (had one as my first grinder) or an Ascaso (same burrs) or for a touch more the Rocky.

We also have Coffee Craft as a sponsor in Adelaide, best bet is to go and pick them up turn them over and if possible see them in use is a great way to buy.

Thanks for replying Attilio and beanflying ... I couldnt resist the price of the Sunbeam 480 at the DJs sale today so thats what Ive ended up with. After only using it twice so far I can see I will have lots of questions about it for the forum.
    Also bought some accessories from one of the forum sponsors. They (and the local Saeco supplier) told me that there is not an unpressurized group handle available for the Via Venezia. So now Im confused ...

Hello Greg.

Its always possible it has been discontinued as in, Saeco Australia nolonger bringing it in. Its also possible those you have been speaking to dont know anything about it. It isnt necessarily common knowledge, 99% of VV clients dont necessarily read these forums & will use the supplied group handle as is...

It was never an "optional extra" made for the VV. What it is, is the standard group handle for older model Saecos, virtually eliminated from their modern range, with very limited demand from people reading these forums...so possibly just stopped bringing them due to miniscule sales...who knows.

Regardz,
    A.

Start reading here for a how to http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1215413460 the site search takes a little getting to know ;)

and this one was the one I was looking for http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1091413063/0

Spoke to Saeco Rep today and confirmed, he doesnt know anything about the old type non pressurised group handle.

Regardz,
    A.

Attilio ... I spoke to George from Saeco in Melbourne today (1800072326).
    They are available but they will not supply directly to consumers ... George gave me contact details for the Adelaide supplier ... Im picking one up tomorrow.
    Cheers and thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
    Greg

Great, but confirms you have to speak to the right people in Saeco or you may not get the right answer.... :D

Im puzzled. You said you bought a Sunbeam, so I expected the discussion about the saeco non pressurised group handle after that was academic because there is every possibility it will not fit the sunbeam.

Are you thinking to use the saeco gr handle with the sunbeam??????

Regardz,
    Attilio.

The Sunbeam is the grinder.

... EMO480 ...

Quote Originally Posted by 6C584F59427569454C4C4F4F2A0 link=1276940047/9#9 date=1277239552
    Great, but confirms you have to speak to the right people
    Good news :) Just had a similar problem with getting a knob for the front of an oven, local agent rang large appliance company X to get a part for model Y and was told they no longer made them. Rang direct got onto very helpful spares person directly at company X and yes no problem we have plenty in stock and we can supply you for $23 including postage.

Greg when you get the part or if you already have it would pay to add the current part number to the main thread above to save the roundabout for the next person. :)

Cheers beanflying ... There was a slight misunderstanding concerning pickup of the item from the local suppliers yesterday. I did however receive a phone call from Saeco and they have assured me that the g/h will be in Adelaide by Friday (tomorrow). I will keep the forum posted re the current part number.
    Greg *

Just a quick update ... Ive had the new portafilter for a week now, product code: 226550250 ... supplied without a basket so using the one that came with the VV ... The original basket sits slightly loosely in the new PF ... Still experimenting with mixed results ... Will re-post when I can consistently make a nice cuppa.
    Cheers
    Greg

Hey Greg,

How did you go with your mods ?

Cheers,
    Shane

I have the same set-up

I have had a Seaco V V for a number of years and have been very happy with it, while it is not in the league of the Lelit or the Silvia it does give a good double shot . I have a unpressurised porta filter, you can get them at Cafe Bianchi in Sydney and have backed the screw in the shower screen of a quarter of a turn, combined with a Breville smart grinder and a good 53mm Pullman tamper and you will be surprised at how good a coffee you can make. the Steam arm is a bit of an issue though as if you take the plastic thingo off the steel tube is not long enough to reach the milk in a 300mm jug. I dont know if there is an alternative steam tube you can get to replace the original

I have had my VV for about 4 years. Started with a blade grinder and now have an EM0480. Ive removed the pressurizing components from the portafilter. Ive always had trouble producing a consistent pour but I guess that could potentially come back to the fact my tramped is cheap and too small. Any other suggestions? I use Zarraffas beans and keep them in the fridge.