Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new coffee machine questions

new coffee machine questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

Hey im thinking of investing in a coffee machine and i was wondering which is better of these:
    Breville Cafe Roma Stainless Espresso/Cappuccino Machine - ESP8C
    Breville BES250 Cafe Venezia Espresso Coffee Machine
    Sunbeam Cafe Crema - EM4800C
    Breville Espresso Machine
    Sunbeam Cafe Espresso Coffee Machine - EM3600

These are all available at big w and are under $200. I only want a resonable cheap machine to start off with.
    Any help, reviews or past experiences with these machines would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

Re: new machine question

welcome BT

are you going to buy a grinder as well? (eg sunbeam EM0480)

Re: new coffee machine questions

As it is going to be said me first. YOU NEED A GRINDER too ;)

To produce reasonable Espresso with any of these you need a minimum of the EM 450 or 480 Sunbeam, the Breville is sub par.

To go with any of these to then work on your skills and improve your brew make sure it has or you can get an unpressurised filter basket and a decent tamper. You will find talk of "Crema enhancing system" or similar waffle this is basically a modified filter basket that makes fake crema with preground beans and is not really a proper espresso shot. Do a search here you will find some info on them.

Sorry if this is a bit off putting to throw some extras in the way but thats just the way it is to make a good coffee.

If your budget is firm at $200 at this time then grab a grinder a bag of good beans and a Plunger might be $$ better spent.

Re: new machine question

yeah, but i want one that is convenient to grind some in the mornings and not have to much hassle of getting it out and setting it up and cleaning and that. but one that is not to dear.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 797E7A757D776272757C1B0 link=1281238211/1#1 date=1281241033
    As it is going to be said me first. YOU NEED A GRINDER too
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by 797E7A757D776272757C1B0 link=1281238211/1#1 date=1281241033
    If your budget is firm at $200 at this time then grab a grinder a bag of good beans and a Plunger might be $$ better spent.
    MAY sound cruel and un-caring to some; but it is teh truth of the matter...

Besides... A quality grinder and fresh coffee beans; can make a mean brew...

yeah im buying a grinder. but which breville are you talking about? and what is sub par? :-?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 1710170C005255630 link=1281238211/3#3 date=1281251846
    yeah im buying a grinder. but *which breville are you talking about? and what is sub par? :-?
    What grinder ????

A decent burr grinder at the bottom end is about $200 and any thing less that is not worth it for coffee.... Fine for spices and pepper but not coffee.

SUB Par as from BF:

Quote Originally Posted by 0106020D050F1A0A0D04630 link=1281238211/1#1 date=1281241033
    he Breville is sub par.
    Means that as BF sees it. The Breville your talking about is below the bottom of what one might see as acceptable.

Without modding ALL of the Breville/Delonghi etc grinders dont really grind well enough for Espresso, for Plunger Moka pots or other manual methods they are fine. The Sunbeam grinders on the other hand are just up to the task generally with no mods.

Inconsistent grind leads to bad espresso extractions and not a happy drinker *;)

Have a read of this thread and see what you think about a Sunbean package http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1199980798

Blog Entries

Also have a read of the posts in this section...
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=BrewEntry

It will give you a better idea of what other users have found.

Quote Originally Posted by 62656279752720160 link=1281238211/7#7 date=1281251415
    yeah, but i want one that is convenient to grind some in the mornings and not have to much hassle of getting it out and setting it up and cleaning and that. but one that is not to dear.
    A good grinder is convenient in that it enables good coffee to be made. Good coffee is to some a convenience, to others its a mental health requirement. ;D

Find a home on your kitchen bench for the grinder, let it live there and it will pay its rent by helping with the awesome coffee. The Sunbeam and a few others are small and easy to stow away though.

If you want good coffee start with a grinder and a way of obtaining fresh roasted beans. With whatever money is left buy the coffee making appliance.

yeah, i am asking my parents to buy me a machine for my birthday, but i dont want them to spend to much. so i will buy the grinder myself. i am thinking of buying the sunbeam EM0480 grinder, but i dont know what machine (from my first post) to suggest to my parents. can anyone help?
    thanks

ask the parents to go halves and buy the decent grinder. Eureka mignon is still small enough to stow. Sub $500.

get a plunger for $10 and save for a machine later. With fresh roasted coffee and a grinder you will have great coffee.

The Sunbeam 480 is an adequate start, as is the Sunbeam 450. The 450 has a different switch, different guarantee, and less stainless on the outside.

Im afraid I dont know the machines.

Greg

yeah but i dont lie plunger coffee. so i guess thats out. I have plenty of experience with machines. As we have a coffee shop at school for the teachers and im the only one who operates it. So now i just wanna get a machine for home. But im not sure which machine to buy. Im leaning towards the sunbeams, after reading a few reviews, but which one from my first post?????

Hi,

Have a look at the sunbeam website, They are doing a promo where you can get an EM0480 with any Cafe series Coffee Machine. You also get a free training session thrown in. The EM 6910 can be had for $600 if you shop around.

Give your folks $200 (or whatever) and they will not be in for too much, and you will have great value.

I hate drip filter coffee, but I love the coffee from my Aeropress, so that may be an option with a decent grinder too.

<edited for correct model number>

Quote Originally Posted by 4146415A560403350 link=1281238211/13#13 date=1281517996
    yeah but i dont lie plunger coffee.
    I would say never having one made "properly" from fresh ground beans is most likely the reason for that.

I dont like coffee out of any plunger OR machine when the coffee is made from stale beans and the technique is poor. On the otherhand I love both when everything is done right with fresh ground fresh roasted beans. ;)

A moka pot is cheap too if you arent partial to plunger.

No grinder = being limited to crap coffee no matter how expensive or bling the coffee machine.

thanks Nico. I will have to have a look at the website.
    To rev210, I probly getting the sunbeam EM0480 grinder, an maybe one of the sunbeam machines under or around $200 but dont know which one?

No worries.

I do not know the range, but it may pay to find out what the cheapest coffee machine is that will qualify for the grinder. It would be pretty sweet if there was a $400 machine out there that could be had including the grinder.

Hi barista t.

Everyone seems to be dancing around your question so Im going to get to it. (In a major way.. *with punctuation and everything *:D )

Clearly you dont want plunger coffee - you seem young especially since your parents are buying the machine + youre still at school.
    From my psychological analysis ( *;) *) *- to you - obviously the making of the coffee is just as important and fun to you - if not MORE so - then the actual drink itself. (Same for me a few years back). This also leads me to assume you are a milk-based coffee drinker so an Aeropress or other manual style convenience gadget is something you dont want to even hear about let alone use. Youve been researching a few semi-automatic espresso machines so thats obviously what you want - not a plunger.

Given this information let me make a few comments that you might actually appreciate reading a little..

Ive used a Cafe Roma and thought it was great. My mates have one at their little apartment they just moved in to. Heated up fast enough and had a small footprint. The water tank is big enough *and the steaming on it is well adequate if you use a smaller 300-500ml pitcher.
    Owned a EM5800 (one above the 4800 you suggested) but I found I liked the steam arm on the Breville much better as its on the perfect angle to get the milk spinning. The *only things I think let it down are the pressurised baskets and the drip tray that could barely drown an ant.

As for my opinion on the lower end sunbeam cafe series - theyre great. Theyre solid and do the job -but not much else.

On the grinder side of things - you NEED one.
    An EM0480 will do the job fine for now. You clearly dont have a massive budget so why would people suggest a $400 + grinder? Its unnecessary right now in the first step of your coffee making journey. *ahead. Maybe later.

Once you choose a machine *(let us hypothetically say you bought a Cafe Roma because theyre pretty awesome IMO) *youll need a couple of inexpensive (mostly) things..

1. A pitcher (comes with the machine Im pretty sure)
    2. A tamper. This you can either go for a proper one that fits your baskets or you can use the back end of the plastic scooper that comes with it which doesnt quite fit properly
    3. UNPRESSURISED BASKETS - thisll be inexpensive and so so very effective.

I have one more thing to point out.
    With these sorts of machines youre considering they are generally sold at stores like Big W, Myer, DJs, Bing Lee etc. Because it is an appliance made in bulk, youll be able to get it a little cheaper then what you see on the ticket.
    Make sure you go to a store that has sales staff who actually talk to you about the machines and try to upsell you - ie. NOT BIG W.
    The benefit of a sales person is that you can negotiate.
    Go to Bing Lee or Myer and tell them you have *MAX *$150 and youd like a Cafe Roma (which has a ticket price of 199). If they say they cant do that tell them youre headed back to *such-and-such place to get it there because they were willing to negotiate.
    Chances are theyll stop you and give it to you for 150. Or let you go. In which case you lose nothing because you can go somewhere else and get it for ticket price 199 there anyway (no harm in having tried).
    I know this for two reasons. Im a sales person at JB hi fi so I know how these games work. And I went with my mate to Myer to get his Cafe Roma and we worked the pricing exactly as I have mentioned here.

Good Luck with your buying experience. Feel free to ask any more questions and well all be happy to help. *:)

PS> sorry about the MASSIVE rant.

Quote Originally Posted by 332A343A283E2D32686E6E5F0 link=1281238211/18#18 date=1281787779
    An EM0480 will do the job fine for now. You clearly dont have a massive budget so why would people suggest a $400 + grinder? Its unnecessary right now in the first step of your coffee making journey.ahead. Maybe later.
    Ok, since I am the only one who mentioned $400, let me clarify:

The OP mentioned his $200 budget. He later mentioned that he will buy the $200 grinder himself, ie the combined budget is now $400. Sunbeam are chucking in a free 4800 grinder with cafe series machines, so if they have a $400 cafe series machine, then he has a $400 machine and a $200 grinder all for $400 (if he gives his 200 bucks to his folks, that is)

:)

Quote Originally Posted by 352C323C2E382B346E6868590 link=1281238211/18#18 date=1281787779
    Everyone seems to be dancing around your question
    Not so, lots of helpful advice and suggestions in the thread, its always difficult to advise people on a limited budget, the same question must have been asked a thousand times on this forum and the answers of course are always similar.
    (psychological analysis and assumptions) ::)

Thanks lukewarm711. Some great info there. Youre physological assumptions were all correct, i dont like plunger coffee, i like milk based espresso drinks and i believe making coffee is a grest experience, and also tasty I had a laugh. So youre suggesting the cafe Roma is the way to go? i read some reviews on it and a few people have said something about the pipes busting as they are plastic? is there any truth to this rumour?

To nico, the sunbeam cafe series machine is $800.

Thanks everyone ;)

to the op
    the cafe roma is a fine little unit ive had one since they came out 6 odd years ago, it was mothballed for a year or two , i just cleaned it and it fired up with out issue its a great entry unit , with the unpresserised baskets and regular cleaning and descaling it will do you untill the upgrade bug hits :)
    also the Sunbeam EM0430 Burr Grinderi a good match with the roma 60-70 dollars you just need to calabrate it first, search google for the links to do that.
    cheers
    nathan

Quote Originally Posted by 515A5659060E0005370 link=1281238211/22#22 date=1281837700
    theSunbeam EM0430 Burr Grinder is a good match with the roma 60-70 dollars you just need to calabrate it first
    I disagree.
    I dont recall any recommendations for the 0430, calibrated or not.

Minimum quality grinder (unmodified) is the Sunbeam EM0450.

fair enough
    mine works fine with my current em5600 and the office 6910
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 4641465D510304320 link=1281238211/21#21 date=1281835622
    So youre suggesting the cafe Roma is the way to go? i read some reviews on it and a few people have said something about the pipes busting as they are plastic? is there any truth to this rumour?
    What Im saying is out of the ones you mentioned I preferred the Cafe Roma to the Sunbeams. I dont know about this busting pipe issue but as far as appliances go (rather then 700+ Italian made machines go) theres going to be a couple of bumps in the road - even with the more expensive appliances like the 6910. Besides, once you have been using your first machine for a few years youll surely start getting symptoms of upgraditis.. ;D

Thanks. i like the picture lukewarm711 by the way. SO im back to square 1 now whether to get the sunbeam or the cafe roma now. I read on the "product review" website about some of these machines and both had issues but the bursting of the pipes and blow outs seemed pretty common in the cafe roma. But im confused now as to which machine to buy, the breville cafe roma, the sunbeam cafe crema or the Sunbeam Cafe Espresso Coffee Machine - EM3600 :-/ :-/

They are all very similar. Buy the one you like the look of. If you like milk based drinks I suggest one that has some sort of angled steam wand and not a straigh down direct one. Dont forget youll be taking off the froth enhancing attatchment

yeah of coarse I will be taking off the froth enhancer. i have no idea what the use of the company installing that on the machine is. No one wants crappy dishwasher bubbles, they want nice creamy textured milk like they see in the cafes. Thanks for the advice though it was much appreciated. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 7B707C732C242A2F1D0 link=1281238211/24#24 date=1281839519
    fair enough
    mine works fine with my current em5600 and the office 6910 *
    cheers
    Youre using the un-pressurised basket?

on the em5600 and roma im using the original basket modded by cutting the bottom sieve off , also got a double breville basket i think *the one with the sloping sides unpresurised *also use a nakedised porta(sort of regret that I had a laugh *can get messy ) 6910 i think is oringinal

Quote Originally Posted by 6F64686738303E3B090 link=1281238211/30#30 date=1281920946
    6910 i think is oringinal
    That sill doesnt answer my question because the 6910 comes with 4 baskets: 2 pressurised and 2 un-pressurised.
    If by chance you were using a pressurised basket with the 6910 it wouldnt really matter what kind of grind you got out of the 0430.

looks like the unpressuried dbl to me you can sort of see thru it the others must be in strorage somewhere .

i had a play with a mates liet combi today quite impressed with that and the price point i might get that for the office and take the 6910 home .
    cheers

Ok i have been shown package for $499 that includes a sunbeam artista machine and conical burr grinder. Here is the link: http://www.sunbeam.com.au/Pages/Browse/ProductDetail.aspx?pcid=8079&pid=1696...
    Has anyone had any experiences with this machine or should i stick with the original plan and get a sunbeam or breville under $200...

Quote Originally Posted by 2027203B376562540 link=1281238211/33#33 date=1281955138
    Ok i have been shown package for $499 that includes a sunbeam artista machine and conical burr grinder. Here is the link: http://www.sunbeam.com.au/Pages/Browse/ProductDetail.aspx?pcid=8079&pid=1696...
    Has anyone had any experiences with this machine or should i stick with the original plan and get a sunbeam or breville under $200...
    Look, if you are in sydney head over to the sunbeam seconds outlet and buy the em6910 which is currently priced at $399 and i believe you can get a free grinder out of it as well. Factory seconds are fine as i have recently purchased a breville ikon second and it works fine since it comes with 1 yr returns warranty.

I was in your situation about a week ago and came to decide on a breville ikon and a em0480 grinder. They both work perfectly however i cant wait for my unpressurised baskets to arrive.

Likewise i would prefer the brevilles to the sunbeams especially the roma i have heard makes great coffees for a cheap price ($107 factory second).

Ultimately up to you...... but heres my opinions =]

it looks nice how ever at 500 odd bucks illd still go the roma and a EM0450./80 and a bag of fresh beans :)

That sounds like a sweet deal.
    Do that.
    Much better off - that way you get a decent machine and a decent grinder for <500. Wins.
    Search that machine on CS.

I see Big W has the EM5900 for $348. I also noticed that the price on the sunbeam site for the standalone as well as the bundled machine are both RRPd at $499. Dont really see anyone stocking the "PU" combo though.

Quote Originally Posted by 6D606D623B3538340C0 link=1281238211/34#34 date=1281956566
    Look, if you are in sydney head over to the sunbeam seconds outlet
    Yeah that wont be possible I had a laugh I live in Central Queensland. The resaon i was looking at that machine was because it was $500 and it included a machine that is worth $499 and a grinder that is worth about $200. But i read on the Product Review website and it had some bad reviews on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6A616D623D353B3E0C0 link=1281238211/35#35 date=1281959685
    it looks nicehow ever at 500 odd bucks illd still go the roma and a EM0450./80 and a bag of fresh beans
    Why would you still go the cheap machine? :o

sorry should have added if you where still aiming for the 200 limit :)

No ones going to be able to make the decision for you. Go to a store. Play with them. Choose which one you like most.
    Forget numbers and specs. Just go with the one you would like sitting on your bench.

really very simular thermoblock units as above get what your eyes like , i found the group seal ,group and baskets swap between my sunbeam em5600 and the old roma wich would tend to sugest simular mechanics.

This thread seems to keep on going (nowhere) just like the Duracell bunny. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 4F737A6277160 link=1281238211/43#43 date=1282093886
    This thread seems to keep on going (nowhere) just like the Duracell bunny. ;)
    ::) ;D ;D

Hey sorry about the first line in my last post. I had left my laptop logged into CS and my little brother wrote that i hate coffee and it sucks. I didnt even notice he had written this before i posted my question. Just to clear it up i DONT hate coffee i love it. I am on the verge of being obsessed I had a laugh. ;)

thanks everyone for all the helpful comments and advice. :)

In your price bracket its a given that youre going to be buying an aluminium thermoblock machine. Sunbeam claim their Cafe Crema (EM4800) is "Constructed entirely of metal components"; probably lies but if you can, have a look at one instore and check whether the grouphead is metal - this was the area I had trouble with when I used an unpressurised basket in my old cheap Sunbeam. RRP $230 and one of the best looking of the cheap machines IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 7C7B7C676B393E080 link=1281238211/44#44 date=1282131333
    Hey sorry about the first line in my last post. I had left my laptop logged into CS and my little brother wrote that i hate coffee and it sucks. I didnt even notice he had written this before i posted my question. *Just to clear it up i DONT hate coffee i love it. *I am on the verge of being obsessed I had a laugh. ;)
    Offending miscreant post has been removed.... ;)

Mal.

I just picked up a Breville Ikon... theyre discontunued, but Breville/Kambrook seconds shop sells refurbed units on ebay for $219+post ($16 to my door in regional Vic, making it $235 all up). *Comes will full 12 month warranty, and I have a repair agent locally.

Theyre about the only thing in this price range that users a boiler rather than thermoblock. *Great looking machine too. *I had previously used a Breville Cafe Roma which did the job, and I wouldnt steer you away from it if this is where youre leaning. *I am just arranging an unpressurised basket, and the Sunbeam 0450 grinder ($139 from HN and probably most other electrical stores will do it around same price), making for a reasonable home set-up (suits my requirements, anyway!) all for under $400! *

Wish I hadve been enlightened earlier - Im sure the Cafe Roma wouldve done a far better job with fresh beans, passable grinder (Sunbeam 0450 or 0480), and unpressurised baskets for the past few years that weve been using it essentially as is, out of the box!

Not sure which unpressurised basket you are organising but there is one from the Bar Italia which clicks in to the handle unlike the krups which may slip out, best to take your handle and try it.

Whats the differenec between a boiler and a thermoblock anyway?? im guessing the boiler is better???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast