Thread: whats the go here?

whats the go here?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    gday folks, have been lurking for a while and i must say i am a bit confused.
    i started making real coffee a few years back with a cheap Krupps espresso machine, gave it away and began my search for something that would really give me a real drop of coffee. at that time one of the channels on tv ran a programme where a barista reviewed various machines and came up with the Breville 800 espresso series as the best value for money. i bought one. now to be honest, and i know this brand and model has been flamed to no end on this forum, but i must say, there isnt a coffee shop in Perth who makes a better cup than my Breville.
    so whats the go, are coffee shops using bad equipment or have i just got a winner? why should i spend 2 to 3 k on a machine that will probably give me what i am already getting from a $400 machine, or will that expenditure be worth it.
    Btw i make 3 cups a day tops.

regards

steve

TC

Re: whats the go here?

Quote Originally Posted by 726B737B707F6C671E0 link=1282558646/0#0 date=1282558646
    but i must say, there isnt a coffee shop in Perth who makes a better cup than my Breville.
    Hi Steve and welcome,

Sounds to me like youre hanging out at the wrong places :-? ::)

There is brilliant coffee to be had in Perth. So far, I am yet to see a cafe with a 6 group Breville machine :P

Hi Lumenary, not being from Perth, I would not be able to make a recommendation on where you could go to try to make a comparison between an espresso made with adequate love and care in a coffee shop and what you are achieving with your Breville. However from a pragmatic point of view, if you are perfectly happy with what you are able to produce with the Breville, then personally I would say you are on to a winner, and there is probably no reason to change.

Note: Check the "Good Coffee Where" forum for "WA" at the bottom of the Home Page for Coffee Shops in Perth

You did not mention whether you had a grinder, or how fresh you buy your coffee, but those aspects can be two major factors in producing an excellent coffee. Sometimes they alone can just make that difference.

Also not sure how old your Breville is, but that could eventually become a factor, the lower range equipment does tend not to last as long. But then that also depends on how much you look after it.

Whatever the case welcome to CSs, but beware, upgradeitis does tend to catch up on you when you stay involved in this forum. [smiley=smiley.gif]

regards
    Graham

Hi all, and thank you for the welcome, yes i grind my own coffee with a sunbeam, i buy it fresh roasted from Yahava in the swan valley. so far i am doing everything right i reckon, but my breville is about 4 years old now and its leaking so i am beginning to look out for what is out there.
    just noticed lever machines, man they look awesome, gives the coffee a more personal touch...will have to do my homework, dont know of a supplier in Perth....

Quote Originally Posted by 306F77616A616D646467676F636C020 link=1282558646/1#1 date=1282558830
    Quote Originally Posted by 726B737B707F6C671E0 link=1282558646/0#0 date=1282558646
    but i must say, there isnt a coffee shop in Perth who makes a better cup than my Breville.
    Hi Steve and welcome,

Sounds to me like youre hanging out at the wrong places *:-? ::)

There is brilliant coffee to be had in Perth. So far, I am yet to see a cafe with a 6 group Breville machine *:P
    yes, this i understand, they turn over coffee like there is no tomorrow, it has become a fashion accessory! But, every time my partner and i sit down for a coffee in the city, we cant be bothered to finish the cup.
    BTW i have been known to toss out beans that arnt doing it for me, no matter what they cost me, nothing worse than a bad drop i reckon.

Not tried using a lever machine myself, but a mate visited someone, (in Perth actually), who claimed to be a fanatic and had a lever machine. His friend went through the whole ritual, finally producing the coffee of which he was extremely proud, and my mate said the coffee was absolutely lousy every time. [smiley=shocked.gif]

He has a modest Sunbeam himself so was not comparing it against anything high end. (Although he does source his coffee from me, so gets it fresh) [smiley=smiley.gif]

So from what I have read and seen, while they can be cool machines to have, and can make excellent coffee, the failure rate is much higher.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by 70697179727D6E651C0 link=1282558646/4#4 date=1282600875
    yes, this i understand, they turn over coffee like there is no tomorrow, it has become a fashion accessory! But, every time my partner and i sit down for a coffee in the city, we cant be bothered to finish the cup.
    But have you tried one listed in the "good coffee" forum, or are you just talking about a general coffee shop in the city?

Since Ive had my Breville Ive been dissatisfied with all cafe coffee too (bar one or two interstate) - so yes it is possible to make a good cup with these machines. I also think the average waiter-come-coffee-maker doesnt have a clue about half the things we discuss here (freshness, grind, dose, tamp, extraction, etc).

BTW i have been known to toss out beans that arnt doing it for me, no matter what they cost me, nothing worse than a bad drop i reckon.
    Good, cause not all beans, even if theyre expensive, have been roasted or stored properly. And not all beans suit all espresso machines and all styles of drink.

Bottom line (in my opinion): if youre on a good thing, stick to it. If you want to improve, try some of the Breville mods suggested around here, and also try coffee from a real barista with a reputation.

HTH!

thanks for ur thoughts on the subject, a lever machine is out as there is no dealer in Perth and i wont want to wait 6 weeks for a gasket to arrive from Sydney. Not sure what to look for supposing i have max 1K to spend...

Quote Originally Posted by 1B2E3D343D31175C0 link=1282558646/5#5 date=1282603232
    ever machine. His friend went through the whole ritual, finally producing the coffee of which he was extremely proud, and my mate said the coffee was absolutely lousy every time.
    And I have had garbage from $10k+ commercial machines made by a "Batista" *;D Dont blame ALL lever machines especially based on a secondhand anecdote driven by a possible nuff nuff using possible preground stale beans. *;) Lever machines make great coffee if you take time and care like any espresso machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 4B524A424946555E270 link=1282558646/7#7 date=1282630488
    wait 6 weeks for a gasket to arrive from Sydney.
    Not a problem as far as I have ever heard in the case of a Pavoni machine ex stock coffeeparts so 2 days. Worst case might be 5-7 days from anywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 45424649414B5E4E4940270 link=1282558646/8#8 date=1282633637
    Quote Originally Posted by 1B2E3D343D31175C0 link=1282558646/5#5 date=1282603232
    ever machine. His friend went through the whole ritual, finally producing the coffee of which he was extremely proud, and my mate said the coffee was absolutely lousy every time.
    And I have had garbage from $10k+ commercial machines made by a "Batista" *;D Dont blame ALL lever machines especially based on a secondhand anecdote driven by a possible nuff nuff using possible preground stale beans. *;) Lever machines make great coffee if you take time and care like any espresso machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 4B524A424946555E270 link=1282558646/7#7 date=1282630488
    wait 6 weeks for a gasket to arrive from Sydney.
    Not a problem as far as I have ever heard in the case of a Pavoni machine ex stock coffeeparts so 2 days. Worst case might be 5-7 days from anywhere in the world.
    so who stocks la pavoni in au? preferably perth area?

Blog Entries

send an email to:

Not sure about WA but have a talk to Jack at Sorrentina http://sorrentinacoffee.myshopify.co...emi-commercial he handles the Pavoni range and also the PV Lusso (Adelaide based) and gives great service.

What is still the best if you can is go get a hands on feel at whatever type you are looking at. Very easy if you dont to be led by very happy biased (lever) owner opinions here ;)

I think the only sponsor from WA we have here is Espresso Italia too to save you a search but based on their website they dont handle the Pav.

Sadly more then half the baristas out there dont know $*%# about coffee - all they know is how to push the buttons.
    As for spending more on a machine, let us know when you find a 4 group handle E61 group headed plumbed in Breville machine for $400 that can pump out as many coffees as you can make in a day consecutively. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 627B656B796F7C63393F3F0E0 link=1282558646/12#12 date=1282652606
    Sadly more then half the baristas out there dont know $*%# about coffee *- all they know is how to push the buttons.
    As for spending more on a machine, let us know when you find a 4 group handle E61 group headed plumbed in Breville machine for $400 that can pump out as many coffees as you can make in a day consecutively. ;)
    not sure what u are trying to say here, given i only make 3 cups a day tops. I dont expect a machine with a 4 group handle E61 to cost $400. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by 20392129222D3E354C0 link=1282558646/13#13 date=1282683200
    not sure what u are trying to say here, given i only make 3 cups a day tops. I dont expect a machine with a 4 group handle E61 to cost $400. *
    You asked..

Quote Originally Posted by 20392129222D3E354C0 link=1282558646/0#0 date=1282558646
    came up with the Breville 800 espresso series as the best value for money. i bought one. now to be honest, and i know this brand and model has been flamed to no end on this forum, but i must say, there isnt a coffee shop in Perth who makes a better cup than my Breville.
    so whats the go, are coffee shops using bad equipment or have i just got a winner?

ok folks, ur a font of knowledge no doubt and i thank u all for ur pointers, will be looking for a single lever machine, so i have a fair way to go before deciding which model, tons of homework to do, damn its hard not being able to see first hand...seems the ponte vechio is a goer though!

Somehow I missed your second post and didnt realize you were asking for advice on a new machine... I wondered how levers came up ::)

Have you already discarded ones like Gee, Lelit & Silvia?

Im in Perth and have the PV Lusso 2 group ordered and on the way. Given the simplicity of the Levers , they have fewer bits to fail/replace. Once its here I will get the usual wear items like group seals ordered and store away till needed. Things like gaskets are cheap and basically if you plan to own a machine for a few years why not sort yourself out for some of the service consumables before they are needed. You can fix things at the moment of need (who can last a day without coffee anyway).

Its a good lesson to learn, so is having a back up coffee machine ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 2E262E292325470 link=1282558646/16#16 date=1282690910
    Somehow I missed your second post and didnt realize you were asking for advice on a new machine... I wondered how levers came up *::)

Have you already discarded ones like Gee, Lelit & Silvia?
    not at all, still finding my way around...cheers ;)

Looking for a new machine is hard work but enjoyable no doubt. Let us know what you find :)

Quote Originally Posted by 706977796B7D6E712B2D2D1C0 link=1282558646/19#19 date=1282726736
    Looking for a new machine is hard work but enjoyable no doubt. Let us know what you find *:)
    so far, have been offered a pre loved Stradivari SPL Professional (16 cup) in BRASS with matching grinder. $1250. any advice would be great.

Price is right up there but then it is the expensive one ;) I have seen the chrome combo go for a lot less (circa $1k) on the bay of evil.

Chase up this one too if it is still around, brand or near new for $800 and buy a better grinder than the Pavoni one with the change.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1274793735

just snagged this pre loved

thanks for ur help folks. :o

Quote Originally Posted by 687169616A65767D040 link=1282558646/20#20 date=1282729584
    so far, have been offered a pre loved Stradivari SPL Professional (16 cup) *in BRASS with matching grinder. $1250. any advice would be great.
    What about the new kid on the block?

For that price you could just about afford the Gee + grinder offer (cant remember the exact combo price, I think there was a coffeesnobs discount too). I think it was from cuppacoffee.

Quote Originally Posted by 3A233B333837242F560 link=1282558646/22#22 date=1282735565
    ust snagged this pre loved
    In that case welcome to the Lever Lovers Gang 8-)

Do a search of the site for topics containing Pavoni in the last few years (one post/thread option) should get you some reading too. To get started grind fine dose about level with the top of the PF with a light tamp. Purge the steam wand at about 5 or 6 minutes and you should be up to temp at 13-15 minutes.

Have fun

thanks for the encouragement lads, and yes I am sure there are better deals out there, but that model suits my decor as i am keen on BRASS objects as u will find out when it arrives, i will get pics up...ahh forgot , it comes with a tray as well, so it sits a little higher on the bench. So, its the Pav Brass and Gold with matching grinder, spare seals and tray, i am one happy camper, oh yes, and a Bellman stove top for when my partner drags me away for a weekend ;)