Thread: Sunbeam EM5900 Machine + EM0450 Grinder - Impressions from a newbie

Sunbeam EM5900 Machine + EM0450 Grinder - Impressions from a newbie

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    gday all.

long time lurker, first time poster. :)

so i was meant to get myself a silvia, or even a lelit or isomac...but seeing as im a bit strapped for cash at the moment i decided to go a cheaper option...sunbeam. *:-?

i thought being my first machine ill get something cheap and play around with and upgrade later on.

so ive done an actual coffee course because i wanted to learn more about coffee and get a hands on approach. even got my accredited barista certificates (although i wouldnt call myself a barista at all - at least not yet *;))

anyway, to the gear. i ended up picking them up brand new for $380 (espresso machine and grinder). RRP is 499 for the machine, and 149 for the grinder - so i thought it was a good deal even though its a sunbeam. I had a laugh.

thought id give you guys an impression about the gear i just bought for those looking for more info on the sunbeams. please note i am not a coffee expert and these opinions are just from a regular joe.

so lets start with the grinder, the EM0450.

this is the alternative conical burr grinder to the EM0480 which is $50 more expensive. im not entirely sure what mechanical differences there are but physically the EM0450 has less stainless steel. and according to the sunbeam website the EM0480s extra features include a dual mode setting (which im not sure what that means).

the grinder comes with attachments to fit both domestic portafilters, and larger commerical ones too. operation of the grinder is by a small button where you grind on demand by pushing the button with the portafilter.

there are 25 grind settings on the grinder, with 1 being the finest, and 25 being the most coarse.

so what is it like to use? i cant give u specific differences since i havent really used any other grinders...but i will explain what a regular joe like me thinks of it.

adjusting the grind settings is a bit annoying - the adjustment isnt the smoothest and doesnt really click into place when u turn it and its not like one of those types u can make fine adjustments with. so when you turn the adjuster its not a smooth movement, but a stepped one and sometimes its a bit hard getting it onto that exact setting. hope that makes sense. I had a laugh

another annoying thing ive found (and im sure other SB owners agree) is the amount of coffee grind that the grinder holds back. after i finish grinding i have to tap and knock the grinder a bit as there is residual grind still inside the grinder. i usually get an extra teaspoon or two of grind after i tap it. the problem with this is of course the possibility of stale coffee grinds when you decide to grind new beans. so i always have to make sure i knock the grinder around and tap it furiously to make sure i get all the coffee out.

in terms of quality of the grind, it seems to look ok and seems to be pretty consistent every time i grind. particle size of the coffee grounds seem to be uniform and consistent.

out of interest... to other SB owners out there, what grind setting do you use and how much tamp pressure do you use to get a 30sec extraction? im currently using a setting of 18 with a heavy tamp, or a setting of 14 with a very light tamp. i find it kind of weird that the setting is at 18 (25 is the most coarse) as its up towards the coarse end of the scale. *:( or is my machine just crap with its pressure to take on a finer grind? (these settings are with a non pressurised filter btw)

ok, so onto the machine. the EM5900.

the machine is a single thermoblock system so you cant steam milk at the same time whilst brewing espresso. comes with a 2 spout portafilter (the spout is welded on) and has that plastic thingy guide inside. i thought about removing this plastic thing but it means i will have the problem of an empty hole in the middle where it screwed in. i think i may leave it as is and just clean it properly to make sure no crud builds up underneath.

it also comes with two PRESSURISED filter baskets...i only just picked up a non-pressurised basket today which i will talk more about later. the machine features a nice long and thick steam wand with a one hole steam tip. and is also used for the hot water function.

operation is straightforward and manual by using the buttons at the top. hit the coffee button for it to start brewing, and hit it again for it for turn off. simple. steam operation involves pressing the steam button and allowing the machine to warm up further, and then using the knob on the side.

the machine features pre-infusion so it wets the puck a second before it starts extraction. not sure what the advantages are to this...any gurus care to explain? :)

anyway, ive been using the 2 cup pressurised filter lately and have been getting some ok coffee. only just got the non pressurised filter today so there is alot of testing and fine tuning to do again. will report on results when i get there. the pressurised filters seem to leave me with some very wet pucks and theres a layer of water on the top when i take out the PF. im assuming all that residual water cant get through the single hole on the filter basket... the non pressurised filter seems to also leave a layer of water on top of the puck but it drains quickly and the puck dries when the PF is taken off and the pressure is relieved. is it possible to get dry pucks straight away on these domestic machines that dont have 3 way valves?

also, what should a straight espreso shot taste like?? in terms of bitterness, sweetness, sourness? what tastes/smells should i be looking for? i usually have milk based coffee drinks and the coffee ive made so far as been ok and close to those ive bought from cafes so im assuming im on the right track...but im a complete newbie when it comes to tasting straight espresso shots.

anyway, onto the milk steaming part and this is where i fail.

ive followed KKs tips and techniques and tried so many things but still cant get perfectly textured milk. steam pressure from the machine seems to be strong enough and the steam is nice and hot and dry....

i start with a cold milk jug that ive put in the freezer beforehand, and follow KKs tips exactly (although i have to tilt the jug a little bit to get a good whirlpool going). i even switched between a 400ml and 600ml jug with not much difference. the smaller jug seems to be a bit better though with folding/whirlpooling the milk.

what i end up with is beautiful microfoam at the top, with hot/steamed milk on the bottom. the foam layer on the top looks very nice and silky smooth (albeit a bit thick). i can stretch the milk fine although it doesnt expand as quick as when i did it on the la san marco machines at the barista courses. i think the problem im having is folding the milk together with the foam....even though i give it plenty of time in that whirlpool stage. i always end up pouring hot milk into my cup and then end up with thick foam at the end which i pour out. appearance wise it looks good but the milk isnt smooth and uniform throughout.

i steamed milked perfectly on the la san marco machines when i did my coffee course and it was uniform and lovely. yet im struggling with this damn sunbeam. any further advice or tips for me? *:(

anyway, im still learning alot and experimenting alot with the machine so ill post more info as i go.

i think ive covered most of what i wanted to say...hope it wasnt too much to read for you lot. I had a laugh. just wanted to post some things about the sunbeam machines for people who are looking for more info on them as i couldnt find much info either on the EM5900.

so thanks for reading. looking forward to your comments and feedback. ive learnt a bunch from you lot just from browsing the forum.

if anyones interested i can maybe get some photos or videos up as well.

but for now, happy brewing. *:D

A_M

Re: Sunbeam EM5900 Machine + EM0450 Grinder - Impressions from a newbie

Long post ;)

With out changing teh settings and playing a bit... The steam can be a slight pain...

Unless you mod it; but that is another story.

1: Coffee shot / Steam milk - Purge steam and then Purge / flush the group.

2: Then another short cooling flush and then ya ready for coffee number two.

3: Ya never mentioned teh beans your using ?

4: KKs steaming tip.. IS great but is not always so ideal with systems that do not have; that true full on steaming capacity.

Keep trying .... Thats what coffee is about.

As to how should it tast...

That is Pallet training and also not putting faith into others hands. It is about YOU, not THEM.

If its what you like, then great... Go and dry a few sponsors.. Try a few little shops and get ready to drink some dammed horrible crap... Then one will hit you and you will want to go back... That is teh one you want to try to copy..

Hi,

I have got the same combo and am quite happy, apart from the delay when you switch between steam and coffee mode. (would love a two boiler machine). I think this combo is a good entry into the world of espresso. I love the solid feel of the steam wand..

I use a unpressurized basket (of course). My grinder sits at setting 12ish...
    I find that the steaming performance of my machine is sometimes a bit inconsistent, meaning the steam pressure seems to be quite a bit higher on some days then on others...

I am using the stainless steel mug that came with it and find its volume a bit on the small size, even when making milk for one person only..

I did remove the plastic insert in the portafilter and plugged the hole with a screw and nut. I recommend doing the same..you will get build up under there...

@quickbrownfox
    I end up with pretty dry pucks, especially when pulling the shot, steaming milk, then knocking out the puck. how long does it take you to extract 60mls (double shot) are you around the 25 sec mark?

@angermanagement: what sort of modding regarding the steam wand have you got in mind?
    I have got access to a work shop and thought about making up a steam nozzle with more than 1 hole....

i got myself a breville ESP4/51 unpressurised filter for my machine. picked it up for $16. the grinder setting sits at 17 for me to extract 60mls in about 25secs.

i am getting dry pucks now with the unpressurised filter...the pressurised ones seem to not drain properly and its pretty obvious why. I had a laugh.

ive yet to pull the plastic insert out. probably need to find a nut first to plug that hole as i usually make two cups of coffee - so i need an even drip from both spouts.

not sure about steam pressure but ive found it to work better on smaller jugs. how much milk do you use if you think the 600ml jug isnt enough? thats about 300ml of milk if youre filling it half way. I had a laugh.

I am using the jug that came with the machine, which is a 300ml one.

Quote Originally Posted by 727E637F777D707A7462110 link=1282830060/0#0 date=1282830060
    this is the alternative conical burr grinder to the EM0480 which is $50 more expensive. im not entirely sure what mechanical differences there are but physically the EM0450 has less stainless steel. and according to the sunbeam website the EM0480s extra features include a dual mode setting (which im not sure what that means).
    Supposedly all the internals are the same but that doesnt explain why they give a longer motor warranty on the 0480.
    The dual mode setting consists of another switch on the side which changes it from grind on demand to grind until I turn the switch to off.

Quote Originally Posted by 727E637F777D707A7462110 link=1282830060/0#0 date=1282830060
    another annoying thing ive found (and im sure other SB owners agree) is the amount of coffee grind that the grinder holds back. after i finish grinding i have to tap and knock the grinder a bit as there is residual grind still inside the grinder. i usually get an extra teaspoon or two of grind after i tap it. the problem with this is of course the possibility of stale coffee grinds when you decide to grind new beans. so i always have to make sure i knock the grinder around and tap it furiously to make sure i get all the coffee out.
    Typical.

out of interest... to other SB owners out there, what grind setting do you use and how much tamp pressure do you use to get a 30sec extraction? im currently using a setting of 18 with a heavy tamp, or a setting of 14 with a very light tamp. i find it kind of weird that the setting is at 18 (25 is the most coarse) as its up towards the coarse end of the scale.Sad or is my machine just crap with its pressure to take on a finer grind? (these settings are with a non pressurised filter btw)
    You cant compare settings from one grinder to the next. The Instruction book suggests starting at 13 and working it out from their.
    I havent used a 5900 only a 6910. It looks like youve worked out whats best for your machine and basket.

the machine features pre-infusion so it wets the puck a second before it starts extraction. not sure what the advantages are to this...any gurus care to explain?
    Im not a guru but the theory is that by pre-infusing the puck gently expands before being hit with the full water pressure in the belief that this will prevent channelling because of sudden full force pressure.

i start with a cold milk jug that ive put in the freezer beforehand
    May not be necessary once you get the hang of it all. :-/

Whereabouts in Sydney are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 35392438303A373D3325560 link=1282830060/0#0 date=1282830060
    i ended up picking them up brand new for $380 (espresso machine and grinder)
    Hi quickbrownfox,

Thanks for your post! I am looking to get the exact same machine and grinder. Just wondering where you picked up that deal for $380?? Im also in Sydney.

Thanks heaps :)

I have an EM0480 grinder and yesterday picked up a EM5900, I sold a EM5600 as I was looking for faster milk processing. Thanks for the post as there is a dirth of information re the EM5900.
    The 5900 is a lot noisier than the 5600 - is that normal?
    I get wet pucks.
    Separated milk.
    Espresso is good though with Coffee Snobs "Gold" beans in use.
    Any ideas about tweaking the steam temperature and wetness - the 5900 has this facility - I was wondering what hotter or dryer steam does to the process of microfoaming - any ideas?

Great thread and good info @quickbrown!

I have decided to give this machine/grinder combo a go as im on a limited budget. Does anyone know where to pick one of these up in mebourne for around the $400~ mark?

Thanks!
    ohh and great site too *;)

Quote Originally Posted by 262A372B2329242E2036450 link=1282830060/0#0 date=1282830060
    what i end up with is beautiful microfoam at the top, with hot/steamed milk on the bottom. the foam layer on the top looks very nice and silky smooth (albeit a bit thick). i can stretch the milk fine although it doesnt expand as quick as when i did it on the la san marco machines at the barista courses. i think the problem im having is folding the milk together with the foam....even though i give it plenty of time in that whirlpool stage. i always end up pouring hot milk into my cup and then end up with thick foam at the end which i pour out. appearance wise it looks good but the milk isnt smooth and uniform throughout.

i steamed milked perfectly on the la san marco machines when i did my coffee course and it was uniform and lovely. yet im struggling with this damn sunbeam. any further advice or tips for me? *:(
    Hmm, putting in my two cents.. I find that with KKs method, if you get separated milk, then try to move the wand from the outer whirlpool to the epicentre after moving it to 3/4, this evens out the air/foam to the bottom of the jug..

otherwise, you could always try what a barista told me once - if you find separated milk/foam after steaming, swirl the jug around by hand before pouring to combine them.. :P
    I find this method a bit hit and miss tho..

The static in the 0450 is nuts, when I bought mine back when they were new I seriously thought it was faulty in some way, method I used to keep it clear was to like pick it up and lightly bang it on the bench, but if you forget a few times it gets a hell of a stuck build up, be prepared to clean it between bags of fresh coffee.

Steaming milk with a thermoblock is hard, epicly hard in my opinion, or at least when you want good texture anyway, trial and error is the key, give it some months and you find something that works, in the end I got good with my Krups, but damed if I could ever do it again since having moved to a boiler.

I just purchased this combo from Target ($383 after 20% off). Am mostly happy with it so far.

With the included pressurised basket I could only get a 5-8 second pour no matter the grind or tamp. It came out fast and runny looking almost like milk. And a soggy wet puck. This thing is complete junk! Especially if youre going to grind fresh. It tasted mostly okay despite, but I dont need "fake crema" with fresh ground beans.

I too had a Bar Italia that had an unpressurised basket that fits perfectly. Got a nice long pour which "hangs", and a dryer puck that comes out in one piece. Only problem is the holes are a tad big and quite a few grounds get through. I might experiment with a coarser grind and tighter tamp. Im trying to find one the Krups one recommended in the thread, hopefully itll have finer holes - that would be perfect I think. Dont know why Sunbeam would hobble their own product with a crappy basket. If its normal to end up with a few grounds in there, I might not bother getting the Krups.

Okay, a few things I have concluded. If you end up with a layer of water above the puck (with the pressurised basket), you havent filled the basket enough or packet it tightly enough. The puck once expanded should come in contact with the shower screen to create the necessary pressure. With a finer grind and tighter tamp to within 2mm of the top, its perfect. Even with the pressurised one I got a pretty solid puck (though it still doesnt come out cleanly) and a longer pour (too much white foam though). With the unpressurised basket, it is perfect. The tigther tamp, even though the grind is finer, means there is less grounds getting out the bottom as there just isnt as much give in there for things to move around.

Hi Darkfalz, im on my 3rd day with the Breville BES860 and am having some issues with the umpressurised basket. (not the machine, but due to my inexperiance) I think your advice is making a lot of sense and im going to try your sugestions! thanks for posting.

I think I can even get $30 cash back for this. So that takes it down to a total cost of $353.

Ive now exchanged my PU5900 pack three times. Each one has had a different quirk which leads me to believe that production quality is not consistent. First one was great for a few weeks, then started getting really lopsided pucks and the milk ending up with more bubbles in it. Took it back and exchanged it for a near perfect machine... until it flat out broke about 10 coffees in with a horrible high pitched sound when I went to pull the shot. The grinder in this pack was much better, giving me ideal grinding around 14 (instead of 9). Went back and exchanged it again, and get this - the supplied baskets did not fit in the PF handle! It was 1-2mm smaller than the previous two. Also the grinder button stuck when the PF handle holder was clipped on. So took back the grinder and PF and swapped it for the one Id just returned. This one does good shots but the steam is a bit dodgy, makes sporadic "tic" sounds while on steam (like its dripping internally onto a hot area) and end up with small bubbles in it no matter how good my technique is. I hate to pack it all up again and go swap it yet again because the previous two (at least initially) did better milk but its got a 12 months replacement and judging by the last two, Im sure itll get exchanged in that time. Sunbeam has well and truly lost any profit on my purchase (considering I got it for $353). Ah, maybe Im getting too fussy - forgetting that this machine is still making nicer coffee than 90% of the places Ive been to.

Ive just gotten one of these. Today was the first day I tried the 5900 - for the past few days Ive been using the 450 to grind for my aeropress (how I discovered coffeesnobs!).

Out of the box:
    - I took the plastic insert out before even turning the machine on. With the pressurised basket it shoots straight out the screwhole and made dishwasher crema. Didnt taste awful but it would do super quick extractions.

Half an hour with my drillpress later and Ive cut out a 45mm disc in the bottom of the basket. There are small indents where the drill tip was pushing through but no new holes.

With the 450 on about 3 and a gorilla tamp I could make a 60ml in 25s extraction. Not bad as affogato but the stale beans meant no crema.

I took the 450 apart to clean it and tightened all the screws at the same time. Now it grinds about as fine at 10 as it did on 3, and clogs at 1. Havent drunk any yet since there is work tomorrow.

Ill try sourcing a breville basket at some point for comparison. I have an old starbucks machine basket but its about 1mm too small to fit )-: (its a saeco something or other rebadged.)

Hildy - exactly what did you tighten to turn the 3 into a 10?

All the screws on the burr carriers, as well as making sure they were seated properly. *I think it came out of the box maladjusted.

My Hario Mini-Mill Slim came today. *I can compare numbers.

I dont have a bangbang (yet). I have an old biscuit tin - I eat a lot of chinese sesame cookies. These are similar to the tins that chinese egg rolls come in.

The 5900s portafilter and handle are heavy and solid enough that I get complete pucks coming out by tapping the phenolic of the portafilter handle on the edge of the biscuit tin. The tin is bent but I will throw it out with the coffee.

Hi all,

I am also a newbie who decided to take the plunge by buying the above combo - on special at the moment.

Hope I can get some kind feedback from fellow owners on the following:

a) I get OK coffee but my expectations were higher. I thought my temperature was not high enough so I checked the temperature of the water coming out of the group head with my thermometer in a warmed-up cup and it seems to be only reading around 68 deg C to 70 deg C although the manual says it "has been calibrated to the precise temperature of 92 deg C at the group head". I know I may not be measuring precisely at the group head but should there be such a big difference. There is a setup feature on the EM5900 to increase the temperature and I have tried +2 setting but it does not seemed to make any difference. What are your temperatures?

b) The pump seems unusually loud under operation (yes I am still using the supplied pressurised filter basket at the moment). Is this normal. My friends EM3600 seems only half as loud. What are your experiences?

Look forward to your feedback on my above newbie concerns and many thanks in advance.

Cheers Vincello.

Ok, i too have one of these. I am booked to do the course in a couple of weeks so hopfully that will help a bit.
    A quick question to all those that are using unpressurised baskets. Where did u get them? If u could PM a link, that would be great.
    Also when making a coffee who uses the single filter? i have used it but find the coffee to weak, the double is good.. anyone else find this?

Thanks in advance..

Got mine from Breville - should be easy to find on their website.

Bought this combo recently on super special. Heres my tips (aimed at newbs like me) after a few weeks experimentation:
    The grinder for me seems best set on around 11 or 12. This will vary between individual grinders but seems a good place to start. Much finer and the machine simply wont pump water through. This grinder design is basically flawed in that it hold a lot of grinds in the mechanism when you finish, a lot of tapping and shaking will see a lot of grounds coming out the spout which would otherwise have sat there going stale and spoiling your next cup, so tap and shake like a mad man both after grinding and before the next grind.
    The supplied double wall filters are crap, like everyone here will atest. I was lucky enough to have an old Breville Bar Italia I could steal the single wall filters from. The 4 shot filter is too tall but the 1-2 shot filter is abouth the same size as the original Sunbeam 2 shot and fits tightly (I had to take out the spring from the filter handle and modify, i.e. bend it so it didnt hold so tight). To use this filter I found a 52mm tamper was best and good ones can be found on ebay for a shade over $20. Tamping firmly but not gorilla strength is best, I pressed the tamp on the bathroom scales to about 10 - 12 kilos and try to replicate that force on the coffee. Knocking out the used coffee puck afterwards is a dream. Getting the filter out of the handle is an absolute pain as the groove to get your finger/thumbnail in is stupidly shallow - get out a curved file and go nuts and make that groove as deep as you can or you will break your fingernails repeatedly like I did :(
    Using Jaspers Ethiopian Yirgacheffe or Oomph Java Jo beans gets me a delicious cuppa and Im now more than happy with the set up. The snobs around here wouldnt be impressed but its still up to the standard of the local cafes around here and way cheaper and more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by 5141504352525B220 link=1282830060/22#22 date=1303437666
    Getting the filter out of the handle is an absolute pain as the groove to get your finger/thumbnail in is stupidly shallow - get out a curved file and go nuts and make that groove as deep as you can or you will break your fingernails repeatedly like I did
    I use a teaspoon on tight baskets.

Same here. I use a teaspoon to pry out tight baskets.

Another first post.
    I like to think I can make a drinkable cup of espresso.

I purchased a Sunbeam 5900 about a month ago after my old unit died. I have an existing EM480 grinder that I had purchased earlier to improve my coffee.

I also had the no flow or watery coffee problem with the EM5900 from fresh beans with the supplied filter baskets. Using a double basket to make about 50ml of coffee gave the best results but still bitter & thin. Took me about a 250g bag of freshly roasted beans to get to this with my grinder set on 9 or 10.

Sunbeam Customer Service were pleasant to deal with but ultimately I could not fix this short of returning the unit & getting a refund.

I joined Choice to get a review of a decent coffee machine to decide what to replace it with & their recommendation based on best taste from a panel of coffee industry experts was the Sunbeam 5600, a model below the one I already had. To all you Rancilio owners out there, you have wasted your money according to Choice. This threw up a red flag that this outcome was probably not correct. Oh yeah - they used supermarket sourced pre-ground coffee [un-named] as the reference. Probably this is in keeping with the intended audience. More research was definitely required.

I did read & research posts on this issue of crappy coffee on the EM5900 on a few coffee sites on the net. As stated a number of times here & elsewhere, the pressurised basket appears to be an optimal solution for generating crema from pre-ground coffee from supermarkets, and not from freshly ground beans. Does not however do anything for taste or body.

I still cannot fathom the reason why Sunbeam & others would provide 2 filter baskets for oxidised coffee & not 1 of each for stale & freshly ground coffee. I know their competitors do the same thing, but they do not offer a solution at all for some one who wants to use freshly ground coffee. You can purchase from Breville, Krups & a few others, non-pressurised filter baskets.

Fortunately a reference on this forum to an eBay seller in NSW who had unpressurised filter baskets specifically for Sunbeam machines resulted in 2 eagerly awaited baskets dispatched to home. Compared to the originals, looked identical to the original Sunbeam 2 shot filter basket without the pressurised chamber but the 1 shot was quite different with no reference to pod coffee.

I assume Sunbeam made but could be wrong. Fit perfectly. If anybody wants an image of these baskets, let me know & I will post up.

Good news is problem solved & now decent coffee. Bad news is my coffee intake has jumped big time.

Current beans are Panama Emporium & taste is the best yet. Too damn nice actually. Im in love

Anyway have joined this forum as so much great info.

Thanks to all who have posted & have helped me get to where I am.

The Rancilio Silvia is on the wish list along with a string of other things. Always hoping the bills will be lower than income sooner than later so that $799 can be put aside but I fear the usual house/car/clothes/... will try to syphon the $$$.

I found the same... massive difference for the better!
    Could you post up some photos? Id be keen to see what they look like.
    Also, Maybe if all us Sunbeam owners who actually like decent tasting coffee complain about not having the option of non-pressurized baskets, maybe they would look at producing them? Its worth a try I reckon.