Thread: Breville 800ES/BCG450..what has gone wrong???

Breville 800ES/BCG450..what has gone wrong???

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    A bit over 2 months ago I purchased a Breville 800ES with a BCG450 Grinder that came free with it.
    After a day or two I managed to learn how to get the micro-foam. Bought a pretty good tamper and tamper mat. And as suggested in a few other threads I purchased a non pressurised basket.
    Everything seemed to be going fine until about two weeks ago, then we started to find sediment in the bottom of the cups.
    I have tried the grinder on several different settings but still the same result.
    I brought a brush and regularly turn the dial to coffee and give the grouphead (hope that is the right terminology) a good scrub.
    Is there something else that I should be doing or am I doing something totally wrong?
    :(

Re: Breville 800ES/BCG450..what has gone wrong???

Interesting...

What does the grind look like before you use it? Rub some between your fingers and see if there is powder in it.

Also what happens when you run some water through the group without any coffee? Any sediment in your cup then?

It would be hard to believe that the burrs are going blunt unless youve modified it (have you?) and made them screech.

Could also be your beans - are you using the same beans you bought 2 months ago or are they fresh (ie roasted within a week of using?) As beans age they grind differently.

HTH,

JJJ

Quote Originally Posted by 776C657E7E65040 link=1283843105/0#0 date=1283843105
    Is there something else that I should be doing or am I doing something totally wrong? *
    This might sound silly, but does your tamp mat have coffee grounds on it?

Reason i ask is that sometimes the cause of grounds in the cup (especially when grind settings arent the issue) is them sticking to the spout when the coffee is being tamped.

Its a longshot, but worth mentioning.

Other than that, all i can suggest is perhaps an uneven grind, which is often an issue with average grinders like the BCG450.
    If that is the issue, short of upgrading theres not a whole lot that can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by 777F77707A7C1E0 link=1283843105/1#1 date=1283844009
    It would be hard to believe that the burrs are going blunt unless youve modified it (have you?) and made them screech.
    When I was reading through the threads that remarked that this model grinder doesnt grind fine enough there was a mod that others were doing that involved pulling the unit apart and I found this post and thought it may be a better option:
    "My fix didnt have it disassembled like most of you have, no dealing with opening the casing up.

After much inspection, remove/replace basket, remove/replace top floating burr set, play with how the screw base adjust up/down, etc.

Realising that the floating burr just clips into the top, second look and youll see that the screw rails are exactly the same below.

So simple really, all I did was apply a bit more pressure when fitting the floating burr back in, (think I clipped one side in first then bit of pressure until the other side clipped down)

Total time to fix (once I figured out what to do) about 5 minutes and now alls good with my cheapy Breville, can grind for 5 second pours (yuck) all the way up to 60second pours, although this is too much, poor little sunbeam doesnt like it and neither do I, I feel like hiding under bench in fear of it exploding Shocked

Better still Ive just checked the grinds Ive been using and particle size to my eyes are all the grinds are all the same, no course grounds or dust, just nice fluffy grinds.

This mod I suppose is not for the faint hearted, but defiantly easier that pulling the case apart."

Quote Originally Posted by 0901090E0402600 link=1283843105/1#1 date=1283844009
    What does the grind look like before you use it?Rub some between your fingers and see if there is powder in it.
    Ditto.

yeah, having one of these grinders, Im not so sure about that description... either way if youve pushed the burrs too close together and heard some screeching you may have blunted them.

burrs aside you didnt answer my other 3 questions ;)