Thread: Best machine under $500?

Best machine under $500?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I recently had a duel Russell Hobbs filter/espresso machine. Never really used the espresso much (couldnt get the hang of the frother), mainly just used the filter coffee. But recently been drinking more and wanted something better. Went to use espresso and nothing come out (well, a drop every 30 seconds or so). Tried descaling, didnt help.

So, Im considering getting a new machine. Any suggestions?

Re: Best machine under $500?

Should probably add:

Im not the biggest coffee snob. I just want something that (preferrably) takes coffee over pods (but willing to cop pods), preferably froths the coffee itself, easy to clean (or at least gives good instructions/tools) and requires little input. Mainly I just wanna get up in the morning, put the water and coffee in and push a button. And preferably something of sturdy, trusted make. For under $500. I had a laugh. Any suggestions? ;)

Ive been looking at the Citiz & Milk

First question is do you have a grinder? If not to make half way decent coffee Drip espresso or otherwise you NEED one.

Welcome to CS :)

Under $500 your 1/2 way decent options are a little limited if you need to include a grinder in the budget. The Sunbeam 450 grinder will leave you around $350-380 for a machine so it puts you in the range of Sunbeam or Breville appliances. Just get one with an Unpressurised basket (do a search for details) added and a decent tamper and you are away.

You may get lucky and score a good secondhand machine but be very wary of them as a lot of them at this price run aluminium boilers and are not that tough for a start. If you can find one however the Nemox or Lelit Combi machines (Brass boiler) are a good tough unit and some have been sold here at mid to high $400s

Thanks for replying.

I have a cheap little electric grinder.

EDIT: Might be willing to go up to $750. And prefer something I can buy in person (not online) and thats got a warranty.

Righteo by cheap I am assumiong it is a blade grinder not a burr grinder?

That will be most likely the reason you blocked the RH espresso with to much powder from the blade one. You need a new grider and use the old one for spices or give it to St Vinnies.

First thing is grab a small bag of "fresh espresso ground beans" from a local cafe and see if the machine sort of works then buy a decent burr grinder and keep going with the RH if that suits using fresh roasted beans. Either the Sunbeam 450 or 480, there is also some decent $300ish ones in the Ascaso, Lux or Ibiteral ranges. A good grinder will never be a bad thing regardless.

Second is have a good look at the Lelit combi, maybe the Sunbeam 6910/480 package (with extra warrantee). Some of the Gaggias and the Sunbeam grinder will be fine too and fit in around your budget.

Where are you in Oz too and we can let you know who to go see :)

Just saw Bing Lee has a DeLonghi Perfecta Plus for $999 (RRP $1599).

mod edit commercial URL removed

Although thats really stretching my budget.

Im in Sydney.

Best thing to do then is try Di Bartoli, Jetblack or Cuppacoffee for a start. Front up and have a play/look at demo and spend your $$ as best you can.

Personally avoid fully auto machines they are a pain to maintain and they break to easilly, worst of all is the "coffee" flavoured muck they produce ;)

Cheers. I might just check out one of those places.

hey, if you are willing to stretch to $999 for a delonghi, take a look at the lelit combi, its only $850 and you get a fantastic machine and a decent grinder all in one. go visit jetblack or one of the other sponsors before you get tempted by machines from good guys etc...

Which is better:

Lelit Combi PLO42E (whats the difference between this and the EM)

or

Rancilio Silvia V3

Both the same price at Jetblack. I guess the Lelit has the grinder, where as Id have to fork out extra if I got the Silvia.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this is the market price I am also interested. I have purchased a used Grinder and need a reasonable machine to go with it.

If it comes back in stock, the Gaggia Classic can be had for $460, would there be a better machine at this price point? Also considering used machines.

Cheers,
    Ben

Going by your original post where you state you just want get up in the morning, push a button and go - I think you will be very frustrated if you buy anything that is not fully auto. Machines like the 6910, silvia etc.. require serious attention to dteail to produce top results and are not for the non commited. Having said that, if you were to buy a mid range machine, you will either bin it or turn into a full on snob - and open a can of worms that cannot be closed ( upgraditis) ;)

Probably the $399 ALDI fully auto one with 2 yr warranty. I would not buy a second hand one as there are too many internals to break down or wear. One can see $820 machines on Google but these are just to suck u in and turn out to be $1099.

The trouble with Aldi is that not all items are always in stock.

Unless your local store has one still in stock from last time, youll have to wait until (if ever) they advertise them again.