Thread: Ikon: death by cockroach. New breville advice...

Ikon: death by cockroach. New breville advice...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ok so Im a newbie and totally embarrassed to admit it but cockroaches have performed a coup de tat on my Ikon. (disclaimer: my kitchen/house is clean I promise! *sob*.).

It still works fine, but needless to say I dont want to use it anymore and Im not game to take it apart.

The folk at Breville said they can offer me a deal on a new machine, which I figure is better than nothing as its not their fault. So Im looking at the 800 vs 820. Thoughts?

Or should I spend this $400-$500 elsewhere? I dont suppose anyones designed a cockroach & tiger-proof machine yet? (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1275279156) Are the cockroaches going to wage war on me again?

Any help appreciated.

Re: Ikon: death by cockroach. New breville advice...

Hi, welcome to coffeesnobs Chalky

[s]whats wrong with it?[/s] oh i see nothing is wrong with it ??
    why dont you want to use it?

i have a nearly dead one as well

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1286525317/10#10

maybe I have the parts for yours ? whats your location ?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 7B7079747361180 link=1286773331/0#0 date=1286773331
    Ok so Im a newbie and totally embarrassed to admit it but cockroaches have performed a coup de tat on my Ikon. (disclaimer: my kitchen/house is clean I promise! *sob*.).

It still works fine, but needless to say I dont want to use it anymore and Im not game to take it apart.

The folk at Breville said they can offer me a deal on a new machine, which I figure is better than nothing as its not their fault. So Im looking at the 800 vs 820. Thoughts?

Or should I spend this $400-$500 elsewhere? I dont suppose anyones designed a cockroach & tiger-proof machine yet? (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1275279156) Are the cockroaches going to wage war on me again?

Any help appreciated.
    Who identified cockroaches ?

Seen plenty blamed yet a close inspection often revels otherwise.

As per http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1286525317/10#10

If ya in Brisbane, maybe we can make ONE from TWO ;)

cmon AM, youre lettin the team down: What grinder do you have already ;)

That will determine where your next $4-500 goes, but listen to these guys first (see their post count?!)

In my experience, its the geckos that fry themselves (did 4 in a row in the air-cons this year) but after cleaning them out, and their guts, the electronics works fine again.

Thats part of the tropics - bugs and insects galore.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6B636B6C6660020 link=1286773331/3#3 date=1286775679
    cmon AM, youre lettin the team down:

What grinder do you have already ;)

That will determine where your next $4-500 goes, but listen to these guys first (see their post count?!)

In my experience, its the geckos that fry themselves (did 4 in a row in the air-cons this year) but after cleaning them out, and their guts, the electronics works fine again.

Thats part of the tropics - bugs and insects galore.
    Oh those indo Geckos ... Yep much happier to see them blamed as a cause for problems as they can carry enough current that will allow 240V to drive a big current and can cook other electronics stuff. There is usually plenty of evidence left behind as well.

Cockroach usually get crushed/zaped etc and can over time can help with corroding fine tracks etc in microwave or other controller cct boards. Their poo can cause arcing across 240V terminals but low voltage is not a problem usually...

PS. When have I ever held teh team up ? ;D Thus how can I let it down 8-)

Hi guys, thanks for being so friendly to a newbie, always a bit daunting jumping into a new forum!

Erm so the machine works fine. Its just that its housing cockroaches which grosses me out *squeals and jumps onto nearest chair*

Theyre those tiny little cockroaches, and they end up dead in the water sometimes. *shudders*

I dont have the right tools to take it apart to clean. What do I need? Short of spraying the entire thing with pesticides (I detect a hint of, mm, Mortein), wont they just return?

Im on the Central Coast of Sydney fyi.

Sorry for lack of info:
    Ikon / Krups baskets / Sunbeam480

TIA!

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 606B626F687A030 link=1286773331/5#5 date=1286863037
    Hi guys, thanks for being so friendly to a newbie, always a bit daunting jumping into a new forum!

Erm so the machine works fine. Its just that its housing cockroaches which grosses me out *squeals and jumps onto nearest chair*

Theyre those tiny little cockroaches, and they end up dead in the water sometimes. *shudders*

I dont have the right tools to take it apart to clean. What do I need? Short of spraying the entire thing with pesticides (I detect a hint of, mm, Mortein), wont they just return?

Im on the Central Coast of Sydney fyi.

Sorry for lack of info:
    Ikon / Krups baskets / Sunbeam480

TIA!
    I just had a look http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1286525317/0#15 and unless there is lots of coffee grinds and or a sticky syrup, I do not see any reason for an infestation of these fellows to set up in side ?

Maybe some one sprayed elsewhere and they are looking for a safe place to hide ;D

A fried who did espresso machine repair as a professional would take in various used commercial machines and refurb/rehab them for use with the companys customers (they were also a commercial roastery). He would seal the machines in a large plastic bag and let off a roach bomb or spray before bringing them into the shop. Maybe you could spray a rag with roach spray, then toss it into a bag with the machine...?

My brother use to deliver appliances for Sears. They had a commercial refrigerator to deliver to a Chinese restaurant in an upscale neighborhood. They pulled out the old fridge from the wall and his first through was, "Its odd that they would paint the kitchen but leave the wall behind the fridge black.." and it was then that the paint started to run away. It was a mass of roaches.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 73404F45587E660F210 link=1286773331/7#7 date=1286890815
    A fried who did espresso machine repair as a professional would take in various used commercial machines and refurb/rehab them for use with the companys customers (they were also a commercial roastery). He would seal the machines in *a large plastic bag and let off a roach bomb or spray before bringing them into the shop. Maybe you could spray a rag with roach spray, then toss it into a bag with the machine...?

My brother use to deliver appliances for Sears. *They had a commercial refrigerator to deliver to a Chinese restaurant in an upscale neighborhood. They pulled out the old fridge from the wall and his first through was, "Its odd that they would paint the kitchen but leave the wall behind the fridge black.." and it was then that the *paint started to run away. It was a mass of roaches.
    Yep... Those old units often had all teh coils at teh back and thus made a nice warm living arrangement for roaches.. These days fridges have them at teh sides and internally to the outer skin.

HENCE the requirement to have at least a 40mm gap for air flow etc.. The roaches just move inside and externally your system looks great ;D

So many places can look so clean from teh out side... But internally it is a different manner. The other trick is to come back after dark... Piza ovens when off become alive with a moving mass of scavengers :o

Opps.. Should get BOT ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 68474E4C5B644847484E4C444C475D290 link=1286773331/8#8 date=1286894211
    So many places can look so clean from the out side... But internally it is a different manner. *The other trick is to come back after dark... *Piza ovens when off become alive with a moving mass of scavengers *:o
    Off topic but this is why you should never get an oven with a illuminated timer, once you turn the oven back on to deep fry clean it of cockroaches, the buggers get stuck on the timer and die there..
    then youre staring at them all day everyday remembering the images of oven fried cockroaches....

I hate those hairy little buggers, especially when they fly at you! Our house was infested before we bought it!

anyhoo...

chalky, I guess it comes down to the $$. How much could you sell the ikon for on CS, vs how much discount will Breville give you?

Quote Originally Posted by 78575E5C4B745857585E5C545C574D390 link=1286773331/6#6 date=1286889116
    I just had a look http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1286525317/0#15and unless there is lots of coffee grinds and or a sticky syrup, I do not see any reason for an infestation of these fellows to set up in side ?
    Thanks AM. I thought maybe they just liked the warmth generated from that tiny boiler :P

I dont think I could sell Ikon without the disclaimer: comes with free pets. In which event Im not sure anyone would be game...

Maybe Ill try to roach bomb thing and start again. It would certainly save me quite a bit of money.

Surely theres some not-too-hard access screws to remove the outer case? Maybe under the feet? Try an air compressor and blow them to ... cockroach heaven!

I no longer have access to an Ikon, but Id be surprised if the tool required to just take off the outer cover were more than a screwdriver and a spanner.

Vacuum out what you reach, stick the nozzle close to what you cant reach (careful to keep all wires etc. attached (your turn AM).

Put some roach poison on a rag (as above) and seal rag and machine in a plastic bag for a day or so.

Vacuum again, wipe clean, and reassemble.

Be brave, remember that while roaches can get nearly anywhere, the coffee from the machine has used close to boiling water, and its been at that temperature for quite a while.

Greg

Thanks again. Ok I used a bomb as I had a spare in the house, and did it in a huge plastic tub. The body-count wasnt as bad as predicted.

BTW the "screws" look like they require a tiny triangular-shaped allen key (and the other ones are star-shaped) Breville told me that theyre custom-made so only their service-centre has them, to stop people opening and voiding the warranty. That said Id be surprised if you cant find them somewhere....

I did try the screws under the feet... but alas they only took the feet off.

Giving it a thorough clean today.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 3239303D3A28510 link=1286773331/14#14 date=1287371022
    BTW the "screws" look like they require a tiny triangular-shaped allen key (and the other ones are star-shaped) Breville told me that theyre custom-made so only their service-centre has them, to stop people opening and voiding the warranty. That said Id be surprised if you cant find them somewhere....
    Standard anti tamper screws... Have a pin in teh head as well.

J-car - Bunnings all have a selection of anti tamper bits.

That being said. They are there as a rish management approch to keep sticky fingers away from 240V. Once you open you have breached all user safety.

AM

Quote Originally Posted by 6D424B495E614D424D4B49414942582C0 link=1286773331/15#15 date=1287372197
    Quote Originally Posted by 3239303D3A28510 link=1286773331/14#14 date=1287371022

Standard anti tamper screws... *Have a pin in teh head as well.

J-car - Bunnings all have a selection of anti tamper bits.

That being said. They are there as a rish management approch to keep sticky fingers away from 240V. *Once you open you have breached all user safety.

AM
    yeah $26 @ the big green shed gets you the right set + other ones

they are security torx (not just torx......) on the ikon

Quote Originally Posted by 6B6069646371080 link=1286773331/14#14 date=1287371022
    I did try the screws under the feet... but alas they only took the feet off.
    I had a laugh ;D ;D

sorry, but that gave me such a good laugh someone stared at me strangely in the office.

I can just see it now: For Sale on Coffeesnobs: Breville ikon sans rubber feet. But the cockroaches keep it off the bench :D

Sorry about the suggestion - the feet on the GR actually hold the screws for the base too.

So now you have a bunch of dead cockroaches in your machine... make sure you do lots of cleaning flushes or youll be making mortein lattes! ;)

Interesting thread. I never realised roaches loved coffee so much. I dump my used grinds in the garden outside the kitchen window. Little did I know coffee was a roach delicacy. Ive been reading that a common roach trap involves a tall bottle with moist coffee grinds at the bottom.

Coffee grinds will be going in the bin from now on. No more feeding roaches their favourite food & attracting them to the house.

Good idea, attract them to your bin instead ;)

Actually I hear coffee grinds are full of Nitrogen and hence a good fertiliser...

Glad I gave you a good chuckle Iain! You should have seen me do it, most amusing.

Ive decided against opening it - dont want to risk it. I think its pretty much as good as new. I am wondering if theres any natural repellent that I can put near/around the machine! Tea tree or something. There was actually only one large "culprit" and quite a few offspring.

Every part that can - has gone through the dishwasher super wash. Its most likely cleaner than it was when sitting in a warehouse waiting for shipment ;) Well Im trying to convince myself.. because spending a few hundred to avoid my aversion to cockroaches seems somewhat extravagant.

Please convince me! ;D

Ive spent part of the save $ on a new tamper. Bought via CS of course :)

Quote Originally Posted by 575C55585F4D340 link=1286773331/20#20 date=1287547545
    Well Im trying to convince myself.. because spending a few hundred to avoid my aversion to cockroaches seems somewhat extravagant.

Please convince me! *
    Its not that cockroaches themselves are a problem, its only where their feet have been!

As long as they prefer your lovely coffee, and dont walk through garbage to get at it, then all should be OK. 8-) ;D

Greg

to the OP, how come you didnt take it to Breville to ask them to open it up for a complete clean? Surely its cheaper than buying a new one..

A couple of summers or so ago it was particularly dry here and we werent allowed to water. Even the ants were desperate for water so they would periodically raid our kitchen. Over one weekend an ant colony made its home in my dripolatator. When I opened it up to clean them out - it was like an ant farm in there. They had turned one of the tubes into a laying chamber. Wasnt too hard to clean out at all luckily.

Greg *;D that actually makes me feel a *bit* better. Maybe Ill build them a house and keep the surfaces clean and voila, no problem! :)

lilmeh - Breville wont open it due to Health & Safety issues due to the cockroaches. Hence the dilemma.

Hot Java - eww! That makes me feel better too. Although Id prefer ants to cockroaches. Although the "laying chamber" sounds rather unpleasant!

Im feeling pretty happy about its shiny new cleanliness. Or maybe thats the Mortein talking. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by 2229202D2A38410 link=1286773331/24#24 date=1288053651
    lilmeh - Breville wont open it due to Health & Safety issues due to the cockroaches. Hence the dilemma.
    youre joking?

well, now the roaches are gone, take it back (or get the $otherhalf to so youre not recognised) and tell them you just want it serviced & cleaned (or traded in)... that is if you want to.