Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breville single wall filter set available

Breville single wall filter set available

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I was having a look around the Breville site today and noticed in coffee accessories that they now have a single wall filter set (single and double) for the 800 and 820 so therefore will also fit many other Breville and Sunbeam machines.

The product code is BSWF100 price is $24.95

Available through Breville customer service centre

Re: Breville single wall filter set available

Nice. Hopefully it fits better than the krups and has smaller holes like the original dual-walled one.

so... anyone tried it? Does it fit an ikon?

Yes - it will fit the ikon and Cafe Roma

Dont forget to also get a new 800ES/192 grouphead seal while youre at it - also will fit a variety of machines.

Quote Originally Posted by 7F78637D766176170 link=1287896121/3#3 date=1287982671
    Yes - it will fit the ikon and Cafe Roma
    Nope, called Breville up and they refuse to sell it to me. I was caught offguard cuz they asked straight out what machine I have.
    By "refuse to sell it to me" I mean they even refuse to tell me where I can buy it (i.e. stockists, retailers with stock etc).

Edit: HotJava just noticed youre using the ESP4 filter (what Im using on the Ikon).. compared to the ESP4 unpressurised filter, are there any differences in measurements?
    Otherwise Ill just go out and buy it from Myer or something.

Get a friend to ring back and ask where they can buy one.
    If they ask which machine tell them the 800.

EDIT:

I called for you.
    I was told you could only order over the phone and postage is included in that price.
    The guy I spoke to had no problem with selling me one.
    Just tell them you machine is an 800ES.

So did you go through with the purchase TG ?

I personally havent seen the new filters or the measurements - only the picture on the website so a real report from someone would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by 56514A545F485F3E0 link=1287896121/6#6 date=1288144715
    So did you go through with the purchase TG ?
    No; I dont need any.
    My point was to show how easy it was to buy them and get around the [s]Soup[/s] Basket Nazi.

so any news on someone thats tried this yet in a cafe crema?

Just ordered some for my EM5900. Will advise how they work. Told the customer service lady I had an 800ES.

Quote Originally Posted by 7752415855525F49330 link=1287896121/9#9 date=1291846041
    Just ordered some for my EM5900. Will advise how they work. Told the customer service lady I had an 800ES.
    ]

Great. Some pics if you can would also be good so we get a better idea of the quality.

Received today. Nicely packaged with instructions. Look very similar to the double walled one included with my Sunbeam. Double is not tapered at all, straight walled. Holes are very fine, much finer than they look in the photo on the website. Theres a rim on the group head seal. Still at work but I think theyll fit nicely in the group head.

Just went over to Myer in my break. They had my machine in there but they had hidden the PF. Anyway, tried it in a Cafe Crema EM5600 and an unknown Breville machine, and its a perfect fit in both. Identical diamater, heck, could have come from the same factory. Its also almost the same depth as the pressurised ones, so I think you could quite easily get 16-18g of coffee (or more) in there. Very nice.

Strongly recommend this set to anyone looking for an upgrade to their pressurised baskets. Of course I cant actually make a coffee with them until this afternoon. Can now get my old Breville basket back and bring my trusty little steam powered Bar Italia in to work for night shifts.

Good to hear that it fit an em5900. Does this mean it will fit an em5800 also?

Should do. I think all the Sunbeams bar the EM6910 have the same basket size (slightly larger than the Krupps). These were absolutely identical in diamater to the one I compared from the 5600.

Sorry, last photo. Excuse the crappy cameraphone quality.

Quote Originally Posted by 7257445D50575A4C360 link=1287896121/12#12 date=1292195895
    Can now get my old Breville basket back and bring my trusty little steam powered Bar Italia in to work for night shifts.
    Can you also please check if the baskets fit your Bar Italia? - for fellow Ikon and ESP4 CSers :)

Doesnt fit Bar Italia, the group handle doesnt have a wire in it to accommodate different sizes so its just metal on metal and wont make it all the way in.

Ok, so I have mixed opinions of it after running about 500g of coffee grinds through it.

Even though its single walled, I am back to a wet puck which I have to wash out of the basket (I dont have a bang bang - yet). Very disappointed about this, as I had surmised it was the suction-pressure from the dual wall that made the puck not want to come out. I managed to fluke a dry puck once or twice and have it come clean out but I doubt Ill be able to do this regularly.

Am getting about the same pour times as with the other basket, blonding maybe a little later but its hard to tell. Tamping seems to make a bigger difference with this basket.

What seems to be happening for me most of the time is that the grounds near the bottom get well extracted (and end up dry) and the grinds near the top (which stay wet when Im done) are "swimming" a bit in hot water. I think this is where I am losing my 5-10 seconds of good shot. I think its hard to tamp where the bottom grinds dont get more compressed than the top ones (my "making more room" tamp is very light).

Im trying to tamp nearer to the top so the grinds are coming in contact with the shower head after expansion so theres not as much room for the top coffee to "swim" but its hard to get it right (and have had a few stallers).

Anyway, its a perfect fit (and one certain improvement is a lot less grinds ending up in my cup) but Im going to miss that satisfying "clunk" of the puck coming out clean and in one piece.

do you empty after brew or after you steam milk? if you steam milk

I found if i empty after brew it will be wet , but if i wait till after i steam milk it will be dry , on my gaggia, you may need to just wait a bit for it to absorb the water on top.

Well, it seems I can usually knock it out in one shot if I do it quite hard and let it drain for a bit. Might work with a knock box because the force generated would be more than just stopping my arm. But a one piece dry puck it still aint (comes out as slop). I actually think now the size of the holes makes the biggest difference. Theyre bigger on the Bar Italia basket and it just allows for faster draining and a dryer puck.

I usually purge the grouphead before I steam the milk, if I steam the milk first then it takes a long time to bring the temp back down before it purges again, which is why I do it in that order. I drain the group handle on the tray instead.

Still experimenting with shots. Im finding a 25-30mL extraction in 20 seconds from a double gives me pretty good flavour. This is cut off right as its starting to blond and tastes fantastic. There just doesnt seem to be enough to get a 2x 25mL extraction, without the last 1/3 of it being bitter white water. I wonder if this is more to do with the basket diamater and if true doubles from 14g of coffee requires a 58mm head.

One week later and many more coffees and it is indeed a winner. Very few grinds in my cup, consistent 30mL in ~20 second pours with beautiful golden crema, and after draining coffee easily knocks out in my newly purchased Bang Bang. Incidently I tried the double basket again for with my new current grind/tamping and it sprayed everywhere, because Id taken out the plastic insert it was shooting out the single hole onto the metal below. Ooops!

I used one of these briefly about 2 weeks ago. They did the job just fine. As for more in-depth details, I never really used it for long enough to comment. Sorry.

Could someone please post what sort of dose they are able to get with this double?

With the ESP4/51 I find it is around 14g

From the pictures it looks like this one might do around 18g?

The Breville double is 16g according to my scales. Although there is room for a little more and I tamp fairly light, so 18g is probably possible.

I put 18-19g of beans into the grinder. Probably 1-2 grams is "wasted". I grind on 15 which is towards the coarse end of the fine settings. I tamp reasonably hard and its about 3-4 mm from the top every time. Weighing the beans and grinding straight into the basket has given me near perfect consistency, no longer waste 1/4 of the beans like I used to with the brush off levelling and stalled shots.

http://www.breville.com.au/products_detail.asp?prod=581

Two level "scoops" of beans with the included plastic tamp equals about 18-19 grams of beans. So I dont even need to weigh anymore. Youre right about the grounds getting stuck in the grinder - luckily the rotating thing is made of some kind of rubber - tapping it with a heavy tamp in the back dislodges the grinds nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by 4E6B78616C6B66700A0 link=1287896121/20#20 date=1292488666
    One week later and many more coffees and it is indeed a winner. Very few grinds in my cup, consistent 30mL in ~20 second pours with beautiful golden crema, and after draining coffee easily knocks out in my newly purchased Bang Bang. Incidently I tried the double basket again for with my new current grind/tamping and it sprayed everywhere, because Id taken out the plastic insert it was shooting out the single hole onto the metal below. Ooops!

Whats the secret Darkfalz?* how did you get the perfect shot mate? :) I read your other post - grinding on 15 seems quite coarse? im on 6 or so on my em450.

also ive been thinking about taking the plastic insert out of my portafilter too...how did you plug up the hole?* just got a nut for the screw?

Quote Originally Posted by 5B55554B1C455D5C55320 link=1287896121/27#27 date=1304688309
    grinding on 15 seems quite coarse?* im on 6 or so on my em450
    The manual says start at 13 so in fact, 6 is quite low.

Quote Originally Posted by 595757491E475F5E57300 link=1287896121/27#27 date=1304688309
    Whats the secret Darkfalz?* how did you get the perfect shot mate? :)* I read your other post - grinding on 15 seems quite coarse?* im on 6 or so on my em450.

also ive been thinking about taking the plastic insert out of my portafilter too...how did you plug up the hole?* just got a nut for the screw?
    I had a little plastic cap from an unknown source which fit perfectly in the hole, but you could also use a screw (tricky, as the top part would need to be small enough to go in the larger hole while the threaded party needs to plug the hole and itd want to be the type that didnt rust). A little dab of food grade silicone would probably work fine too. Taking out the insert is important as you just cant judge the flow properly without it, and it tends to make it bubble and not flow out evenly.

Grind settings will depend on your grinder. Ive had 3 of them all with different grind settings. If youre grinding on 6 then you probably need to contact Sunbeam and get some of those "washers". I find a too fine grind will be either prone to stalling or channelling. I had plenty of stallers or overextracted shots (often with this grinder, there is only 1 notch between these!) previously, I found to get consistency, you weigh the BEANS (dont store them in the hopper, just grind as you need). For me, 17-19 grams (depending on how fresh the coffee is) is perfect, with a medium tamp (make sure it is level). I dont adjust the grind much these days, its basically on 15 all the time - but I am always using beans roasted no more than a few weeks ago. Supermarket/older beans would probably use 13 or something.

I had a closer look at the markings and i estimate im on about 8 actually. only with the current beans im using have i had to grind this fine. previously i was up about 10?

anyway I have been thinking about taking out the plastic insert for ages - just need to find a good plug! thanks for the tips darkfalz...no ideas where your perfectly fitting bit of plastic came from? :)

(im always using fresh beans - latest batch from di bella!)

Quote Originally Posted by 646A6A74237A62636A0D0 link=1287896121/30#30 date=1304747768
    I had a closer look at the markings and i estimate im on about 8 actually.* only with the current beans im using have i had to grind this fine.* previously i was up about 10?*

anyway I have been thinking about taking out the plastic insert for ages - just need to find a good plug!* thanks for the tips darkfalz...no ideas where your perfectly fitting bit of plastic came from? :)

(im always using fresh beans - latest batch from di bella!)
    I dunno, it was just a piece of plastic, probably a screw hole cover. A little bit of cut rubber would work fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by 6E4B58414C4B46502A0 link=1287896121/20#20 date=1292488666
    Incidently I tried the double basket again for with my new current grind/tamping and it sprayed everywhere, because Id taken out the plastic insert it was shooting out the single hole onto the metal below. Ooops!
    I thought the coffee wouldnt be coming out like a jet like from the pressurised baskets so it shouldnt spray? Im thinking of removing the pastic insert too cuz I have a single wall filter basket, but thats got me worried now cuz I dont know what to seal it with :-/

Quote Originally Posted by 4E434D441918210 link=1287896121/32#32 date=1304753296
    Quote Originally Posted by 6E4B58414C4B46502A0 link=1287896121/20#20 date=1292488666
    Incidently I tried the double basket again for with my new current grind/tamping and it sprayed everywhere, because Id taken out the plastic insert it was shooting out the single hole onto the metal below. Ooops!
    I thought the coffee wouldnt be coming out like a jet like from the pressurised baskets so it shouldnt spray? Im thinking of removing the pastic insert too cuz I have a single wall filter basket, but thats got me worried now cuz I dont know what to seal it with :-/
    The pressurised basket forces all coffee out through a tiny hole in the middle, where the screw hole is.

Leaving the hole unplugged with an unpressurised basket would result in some coming out the screwhole but not with high pressure - wouldnt even really be a problem if you are extracting to one glass, but I havent tried it. I originally fit it with a screw before finding the little plastic cap.

Ah, you meant the pressurised basket. Yeah I tried it without the plastic insert before as well--disastrous splashing ;D
    I think Ill try food grade silicone sealant. I think it should be able to withstand the water/coffee temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by 0C010F065B5A630 link=1287896121/34#34 date=1304758670
    Ah, you meant the pressurised basket. Yeah I tried it without the plastic insert before as well--disastrous splashing* ;D
    I think Ill try food grade silicone sealant. I think it should be able to withstand the water/coffee temperature?
    oble, im thinking about trying that too! let me know how you go with it

FYI, these BSWF100 is OUT OF STOCK from Breville, and not sure when they are due in (supposed to have already been in warehouse)

tried to order some today

What is the purpose of the little ridge in the Breville unpressurized single shot basket? Does it have a positive, negative or neutral impact on the resulting shot?
    It seems to me that it would not allow the water to pass uniformly through the coffee and result in a poor espresso... am I wrong?
    Other single shot baskets for more expensive machines seem to not have this (as per picture below)... is it just a case of cheap machine = poorly thought out baskets?

Quote Originally Posted by 414A464E585B494E4A58474E522B0 link=1287896121/37#37 date=1305188082
    What is the purpose of the little ridge in the Breville unpressurized single shot basket? Does it have a positive, negative or neutral impact on the resulting shot?
    I believe this is for the clips you see on the insides of the Breville group handles... correct me if Im wrong.

According to Breville rep, the clips provides for a tighter fit and hence, a "better" shot - whatever that means?

On another note, people on these forums have noted in the past that the basket doesnt fall out of the group handle in the bang bang..

Quote Originally Posted by 272227262E234B0 link=1287896121/38#38 date=1305514747

I believe this is for the clips you see on the insides of the Breville group handles... correct me if Im wrong.

According to Breville rep, the clips provides for a tighter fit and hence, a "better" shot - whatever that means?

On another note, people on these forums have noted in the past that the basket doesnt fall out of the group handle in the bang bang..
    Theyre the same size as the bundled Sunbeam ones, exactly.

Not sure about the stepping in the single basket, itd likely mean the edges would get tamped harder and limit tamping in the middle (where the coffees actually going). Although to be honest, grounds do redistribute themselves under pressure to the point of least resistance in my observation. Its a moot point, as Id never bother with a single basket - I always take a double shot. You need to adjust your grind and tamp for the single shot and its just not worth the fuss IMO, and youll get better flavour from the double basket.

Doesnt look like theyre selling them anymore... or at least theyre not on the Breville website.
    Shame, they make a massive difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 60677C62697E69080 link=1287896121/0#0 date=1287896121
    I was having a look around the Breville site today and noticed in coffee accessories that they now have a single wall filter set (single and double) for the 800 and 820 so therefore will also fit many other Breville and Sunbeam machines.

These look to be the same as the ones for my BES860. PF size 54.
    I would "think" they should fit all the Breville PFs for the 800 series. With the BES860 we recieve 2xDual Wall Baskets(1 single & 1 double shot) and 2xSingle Wall Baskets(1 single & 1 double shot).

Quote Originally Posted by 4E51544D4E51524D4E515C4D3D0 link=1287896121/41#41 date=1305667405
    Quote Originally Posted by 60677C62697E69080 link=1287896121/0#0 date=1287896121

These look to be the same as the ones for my BES860. PF size 54.
    I would "think" they should fit all the Breville PFs for the 800 series.
    They dont. BES860 is 53/54mm, all Breville except for the BES860 and all Sunbeams except for the EM6910 are 51/52mm.

Was going to get these breville single wall filters and as they seem to be outta stock, anyone else know where they can buy them? If anyone knows of a store, warehouse, or whatever they can be purchased I would love to know. Im sure with the non pressurised filters my cofee will improve,.... :)

Go to Greg Pullmans site, or PM him. I know he has Krups baskets (or at least the site that sells his tampers do), and he may be able to help you out.

Click on this link: Pullman

Breville have updated their website and now have this page for espresso accessories http://www.breville.com.au/parts-accessories/beverages/espresso.html

The single wall 800es filters are still currently absent but given Brevilles recent commitment to things coffee may well return here.

Lets hope so.

Oh wow.. Now I know what I did wrong.* I bought then fitted with a lot of modding the BES860 filler to a Breville Cafe Roma handle and not the 800 filler.

I got a 2nd Ikon lately to brew espresso in my office.
    I also try to ring some local Breville dealer in Townsville to get this single wall basket.
    Unfortunately not luck so far.
    Really keen to get one!!

I recently got the Breville single wall filter from a Breville spare parts dealer and so far I have not had much success. I did the finest grind on my BCG800 (as I normally do without issue on my double wall filter) and the coffee just kind of dribbles out, then stops, then the hot water spills over the side of the group handle. I dont get why. I wouldnt have thought the grind was too fine because the double filter does it okay. I will try with a coarser grind but Im worried this will affect flavour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast