Thread: My Nemox dramas :(

My Nemox dramas :(

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

Ill warn you all that this post is serving mainly as a means for me to vent about the issues Ive been having with my machine and its distributor lately.

It also might explain to some of you who know/knew me why you havent seen me around much.

So here goes...

As many of you know I own a Nemox Dell Opera (the one with built in grinder) that I purchased last year around early Feb.

For the first few months or so it operated pretty much fine until one day the steam arm started leaking up at its ball joint.

This caused boiling steam/water to spray our randomly and often run down the arm and give you a nasty burn if you would try to steam milk with it -- It was essentially unusable for the purposes of foaming milk.

I took it down to the folks at Lygon imports and explained the situation and that it was under warranty, etc and they agreed to fix it. I still have my receipt and warranty card.

The machine was gone for around two weeks or so.

When my other half went to pick it up for me, they tried to charge for the repairs. I hadnt sent along any of my warranty information, as they hadnt asked for it. They refused to let the machine go without the warranty information or payment.

Needless to say I got on the phone with them and persuaded them otherwise. I promised to fax/email them the warranty information the next day -- and I did.

When I finally got around to getting some beans and trying the machine out again it worked for around three days or so and then the same thing started to happen. The seal wasnt fixed at all.

The machine sat on the bench for a while until I got around to taking it back to the repair place a few weeks ago. I ensured that I took my warranty info and card along with me and explained up front that it was a warranty repair job that had not been fixed properly last time.

I waited almost 3 weeks before hearing my machine was ready to be picked up and when I went to do so, again they tried to charge me for it. I had my warranty information with me and the lady ended up doing it under warranty, but made some comment about seals and such not generally being a warranty item -- only manufacturing defects are.

I did think to myself "If a seal goes FUBAR after less than 9 months of use, you have a manufacturing defect in the seal.".. anyhow.. I got the machine home and initial tests of the steam wand seemed to indicate that it was OK -- though I havent yet given it enough time to see for sure.

I have a fabulous new problem. The seal around the group doesnt hold up under the pressure of a standard shot. I think maybe they put in a seal that is too small, because I can load the PF in empty and spin the handle waaaaay further to the right than I ever could before.

So now, when trying to pull a 25-30 second shot, boiling water and coffee grounds spray out from up around the group head.

*BIG SIGH*

Im going to have to take it back to Lygon Imports *again* and have them fix it *again* -- properly?? Though I have no reason to believe they should be competent enough to fix it this time.

I wonder if they even test the bloody thing when they fixed/serviced it last time.

All the interactions Ive had with them just gives me an overwhelming feeling they are incompetent and cant be trusted.

Ive reached the point now where Im simply fed up and just want a refund on the machine. Im thinking of having a chat to Lygon and explaining that what has gone on with the unit is just completely unacceptable for an espresso machine in that price bracket. I shouldnt have to put up with these endless problems, regardless of whether they are a fault of the manufacture or the incompetent service staff. Whats going to happen when the warranty is out? Ill be footing the bill myself for a repair every 2 months? I dont think so.

I just want out.

I spoke to someone at David Jones where I bought the machine and they suggested that I bring it back there and they would handle it, but I really dont trust the DJs guys not to just roll over and give Lygon another chance to "fix" the machine. I just want a refund; plain and simple. This shouldnt have to be my problem any more -- they can fix it and sell it as a refurb for all I care.

What this all drums home for me is the importance of post purchase support. I thought I was being smart getting my machine for a decent price at David Jones, but in the long run its coming around to bite me in the arse.

If you are thinking about buying a new machine -- go with somewhere that really cares, eg. a site sponsor.

cheers
    Lachlan

TC

Re: My Nemox dramas :(

Hey Lachlan,

Sorry to hear about that...I would think that with an attitude like that, they wont sell too many more. Marketing 101 taught me the 5-11 theory: When youre happy, you may tell 5...but if youre unhappy...its more likely to be 11...

Reputable people take responsibility for what they sell. When I sell one in Melbourne and there is an issue, I supply a replacement machine whilst repairs take place. 3 weeks without a machine is unacceptable...

Is it upgraditis time? ;)

Good luck with the repairs...

Chris

Heya Chris,

If I can get them to refund me for the Nemox, then Ill probably look at something around the 1300 mark.

Any ideas what I might be looking at (either 2nd hand or new) in that price range?

Lachlan

TC

Hey Lachlan- Id suggest an entry level Simonelli or perhaps Expobar....the Expobars are on the wrong side of 1.5k for you though...

Chris

lachlan you need to take this to consumer affairs - this is just not good enough. Also tell these people you intend on reporting them if they do not
    a) fix the problem
    or
    b) give you a refund.

You should report them anyway. Just for being difficult B******s

Sounds to me like theres a lot of lacking in their communications.
    Also looks like they dont check after theyve serviced.
    Both totally unacceptable.
    I think youll have a real good chance of convincing DJs they owe you a refund.

If you need to bring up Consumer Affairs, mention that one of their main points of interest is "fit for purpose" and a big part of that is that the more expensive the item, the longer it is expected to last.
    You already understand that by your comment "If a seal goes FUBAR after less than 9 months of use, you have a manufacturing defect in the seal."

The law says its your choice of either, replacement, repair or refund.

So be polite but firm and insist on the refund.

Hi Lachlan

Yes, the Simonelli is a good machine, for the same price I will recommend the *PONY"
    I hop you will get the refund, unfortunately your problem is to commune, but DJs sould be the :-? good guys!

SERGE

Sorry to hear youre having all that trouble Lachlan,

All the advice above is pretty good so I wont add any more except to say good luck with which ever direction you decide to go.

If you strike this sort of problem in Queensland though, you are absolutely screwed..... The Consumer Protection Bureau no longer exists up here, it was revamped, retitled to The Office of Fair Trading and a new set of rules created for them to work with. Basically they have absolutely no power in Law to act on a consumers behalf and can only act as a mediator between the consumer and the vendor.... And guess who comes out on top in 99% of cases, and its not the hapless consumer, always the Dodgy Brothers Inc. vendor >:( I know this as I have just come out of the wrong end of a dodgy deal and the OFT were of absolutely no use at all despite my having reams of supporting documentation.

Consumers in QLD beware, you are on your own if it all goes pear shaped and the vendor wont accept any responsibility:o

Cheers,
    Mal.

If the machine is ok apart from a few seals, if it were me, Id stick with what I have and replace the seals myself- its an easy job. My daughters have a nemox dellO and greg Pullmans old quaha- same machine but with diff steam arm attachments.
    On Gregs site theres a section on replacing group seals:
    http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/imat/
    and you can get those from:
    http://www.coffeeco.com.au
    I think recent nemoxes may have weak seals- our nemox is a bit fussier about filling etc
    Hope this helps,
    Brett

I too have had issues with getting responses out of Lygon with promises of "well get back to you today" and they never do.

Hi again Lachlan and other Nemox/Mokita/Quaha owners.....

Lygon Imports are no longer importing or supporting these machines and as far as I know, no-one else has taken up the option as yet. Alan Frew though is trying to setup an interim arrangement to supply service and spares, so that might be a direction to place enquiries,

All the best,
    Mal.

Just serviced daughters nemox dellO and it looks like an issue of good quality parts sloppily put together- eg boiler and group head surround not bolted securely becasue too many washers on one bolt so nut wouldnt grab- simple fix for a leak around bottom of boiler, then I put a group gasket spacer in behind the gasket and now the handle locks in at about oclock not 3:30
    Good machine easy to work on and worth keeping, but sloppy assembly
    Brett

Gday Brett and other interested members :),

One thing that really surprised me with the Mokita/Nemox/Quaha machine, is that the main bolts that secure the Group/Boiler to the frame and the Boiler base to the Boiler Tank are just plain old nickel-plated steel, and WILL rust through..... Mine did.

Id advise anyone who owns such a machine to replace these bolts with suitable s/steel ones as soon as possible because once the corrosion starts, youll find it very difficult to remove the bolts from the Boiler and like me, you may have to drill the bolts out and clean up the thread in the Boiler Base ready to accept the new s/s bolts. In reality, this is the one and only beef I had with the machine but if allowed to go unnoticed, can turn into something pretty nasty.

All the best,
    Mal.

... update..

After Christmas and New years passed by and Lygon Imports promised they would call me back when their service department was back in, they did not.

Ive been busy with silly season things and finally got around to doing something about it (my warranty date is 11th Feb, so I need to move swiftly).

Thank you to those who helped inform me of my consumer rights.

I had a look at the Consumer Affairs Victoria website and I see that Im well within my rights to *insist* on a refund, which is what I am currently doing via David Jones.

They are in the process of pushing the issue up their management chain and have already talked to Lygon Imports a few times today for me.

Lygon offered to fully replace the steam section of the machine, extend the warranty and give me some "free coffee" for my troubles.

I told them, No, I would like a refund. (Who wants their stale "hush beans" anyways!!)

I am feeling pretty good at this point that David Jones will do the right thing by me regardless of what happens with Lygon, but I will reserve final celebrations until such time as I have cash in my pocket.

Ill keep yall posted on my progress.

If things go well I might be in the market for another machine soon, and all the better having the experience/knowledge I have now versus when I first bought it!

cheers
    Lachlan

Wow.. DJs have been disturbingly swift...

They are giving me a full refund.

Lachlan,

Well so they should - but I must admit it is refreshingly different to see a retailer doing the right thing these days without lots of pressure from media, consumer affairs etc.

Good on em...... and congratulations with your success.

(I presume you will be knocking on Chris door real soon). ;)

Lachlan,

doesnt it make you feel soooo good when you know you are right...and win?

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Take what youve learned (and the cash) and proceed with confidence onwards and upwards!

Good on you Lachlan [smiley=thumbsup.gif],

Great to hear of your success ;D. Keep us "in the loop" with your prospective purchase, with lots of pictures of course ;)

Mal.

at least Lygon are consistent... at not returning calls

Quote Originally Posted by lyds link=1167290533/15#18 date=1170830783
    at least Lygon are consistent... at not returning calls
    Has anyone heard if Alan Frew has taken over quaha/nemox? It would be great if he did. Ive been using the quaha I bought from Greg Pullman (for my daughter) at work- its a really good little machine.

I think the issue is Lygon not the machines- sure theres been a few corners cut but they are solid little machines at a great price.

Brett

Id second that Brett. Though a cheaper machine than other brass-gutted units, corners havent been overly cut on the bits that count and I was very happy with it to the day I sold it. Ive also tried to contact Lygon (to update spares before I sold it to Brett) and was met by a similar deafening silence.

Ive not heard anything more from Alan on the machines; I expect itll appear in his monthly newsletter when anythings forthcoming. At least hed be able to back it up with good service.

Greg

Hmmm,

Its a real shame alright when an importer drops the ball like that with such a high performing little machine as the Imat Mokita range. I know Alan has a very high opinion of these little beauties and Im sure something will be sorted out in the not too distant future. Luckily they are so well built that problems rarely occur ;).... A bugger at the moment though if all you want is a couple of Group Gaskets :-?,

Mal.

Yeah.. Im getting out while I can -- thank god!

Im exploring my options now, but the only way Ill go is up!

Interestingly enough nobody at Lygon ever noticed my steam wand mod, probably because it was so well machined ;)

Im guessing Lygon will get the machine back from DJs and then sell it as a refurb. Ill be interested to know where it eventually ends up.. Im sure someone will buy it from their store eventually and theyll have my old machine sitting in their home, completely oblivious to the work that has been done on the steam tip to make it really fire 8-)

Ill keep you all posted on what I do finally -- with happy snaps just for you Mal :)

cheers
    Lachlan

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan link=1167290533/15#22 date=1170897256
    Ill keep you all posted on what I do finally -- with happy snaps just for you Mal :)
    Cheers mate ;D,

Gotta have plenty of piccies of all new machines, all that lovely chrome and polished stainless..... nearly as good as a refurbished steam engine ;) thats been all polished up and puffing away happily[smiley=laugh.gif],

Mal.

Gday All,

Im realy sorry to hear about the problems that you have had with LYGON IMPORTS. This is very different to the very good service that I have had from them.

When I got my Quaha from Dickwyn I rang them and ordered new filter baskets, seals and portafilter head from them. They arrived in Wagga on the Monday after I ordered them on the Friday. So when I had to replace the Portafilter Holder ( The part where the portafilter locks into) because one of the lugs split I ordered it at about 1pm Thursday and it was here Friday morning. When I equired about a pout for the grinder to experiment with Daniella said she didnt have any in stock but if she could find a second hand one she would throw it in and when I opened the box there it was. So I would have to say Excelent service and no complaints.

I will put up some photos when I work out how to get the ginder to drop into the middle of the basket.

Thomas

Have a look at this thread for some ideas:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1169720281/30

Quote Originally Posted by tominoz link=1167290533/15#24 date=1172147476
    Gday All,

Im realy sorry to hear about the problems that you have had with LYGON IMPORTS. This is very different to the very good service that I have had from them.

When I got my Quaha from Dickwyn I rang them and ordered new filter baskets, seals and portafilter head from them. They arrived in Wagga on the Monday after I ordered them on the Friday. So when I had to replace the Portafilter Holder ( The part where the portafilter locks into) because one of the lugs split I ordered it at about 1pm Thursday and it was here Friday morning. When I equired about a pout for the grinder to experiment with Daniella said she didnt have any in stock but if she could find a second hand one she would throw it in and when I opened the box there it was. So I would have to say Excelent service and no complaints.

I will put up some photos when I work out how to get the ginder to drop into the middle of the basket.

Thomas
    Hi Thomas
    I manage the centre thing by angling the pf (I lean it forward- ie front down) and I guess I wriggle it around a bit. Works quite well on the Quaha. Glad you like the machine. I did find Lygon ok but their nominated service place in Sydney didnt have a clue about the questions I was asking- Its a worry when a technician is unsure about the difference between a 3 way valve and an over pressure valve.
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by tominoz link=1167290533/15#24 date=1172147476
    Gday All,

Thomas
    Hi Thomas,

How long ago was this? I was having my issues with them between Sept-Nov last year.