Thread: MAP / Saeco Lavazza capsule machines ?

MAP / Saeco Lavazza capsule machines ?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I know the Nespresso machines, and capsule/pod machines in general are subject of ridicule here, and I can certainly appreciate the case against them.

Ive seen the MAP and Saeco Lavazza machines, which both look like they may be an improvement over the Nespresso (in fact I had a Lavazza capsule coffee in a commercial based fully auto machine last week, and I found it surprisingly drinkable). *I havent been able to find a lot of specific discussion on these versions of capsule machine, so just wondering if anyone can confirm differences, and/or whether they may produce a coffee of drinkable quality? *

As a bit of background, a few guys in my work department are considering getting an easy to use/maintain machine to be a communal machine (all milk based coffee drinkers). *If they go ahead with a machine that produces reasonable results I may even join the club *;D

The capsule idea seems on the surface to have some benefits (buy your own capsules, less mess with no grinding at work etc). *Id assume most of these guys arent super discerning about the quality of the coffee, but on the flip side, no point paying 60 odd cents a capsule for something that may not be far ahead of Blend43, provided very generously by work free of charge *;)

I am familiar with the (valid) argument that the ground coffee will be stale almost immediately after grinding, therefore capsules cannot be anything but bad. *That being the case, Im more intresting in hearing any feedback from people who have experience with these machines to see whether anyone thinks either brand manages to minimise the effects of this coffee truism!

Cheers,
    Damien

Re: MAP / Saeco Lavazza capsule machines ?

I think I used a capsule machine about a year ago - it tasted rather like those "cappuccino" satchels you buy where you "just add water". *In other words, it tasted artificial. *I guarantee if you look at the ingredients it will have more than just coffee beans in it.

In fact, correct me if Im wrong, but do these machines even extract anything under pressure or is it just a fancy way of mixing powder with water? *You could tell by looking at the waste - if theres grounds in the waste then its extracting beans, if theres nothing in the waste but an empty capsule then its just a fancy spoon and kettle.

For many people it doesnt matter how their drink is created, so long as it tastes good. *And for many people, a capsule or instant drink tastes good, so thats all they need to spend their money on.

Quote Originally Posted by 6B6E62666A6167380F0 link=1297226211/0#0 date=1297226211
    I know the Nespresso machines, and capsule/pod machines in general are subject of ridicule here, and I can certainly appreciate the case against them.
    Its not a matter or "ridicule", rather theres no way a capsule machine will produce what I call a "good espresso" so I dont use one. Thats my opinion, theres no reason why your colleagues taste and opinion wouldnt suit a capsule machine, or plunger, or percolator, or whatever. Do you get what Im trying to say? Dont get hung up on the need for a traditional espresso, go with whatever pleases the taste buds (and stimulates the central nervous system!).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 52575B5F53585E01360 link=1297226211/0#0 date=1297226211
    As a bit of background, a few guys in my work department are considering getting an easy to use/maintain machine to be a communal machine (all milk based coffee drinkers).
    Hmmm... easy to maintain for coffee, milk will still be feral and burnt on the steam arm from the last workplace-pig though.

Capsules are plastic and foil and way too much landfill per cup, besides due to their size they just dont have enough coffee in them for a good coffee regardless of what George and St Peter think.

Pod machines will typically take a single 7g pod or a up to a 14g "double", at least thats enough coffee to use. If they contained good coffee to start with then expect a good (not great) coffee from them.

I have always thought that a good pod machine would suit most workplace kitchens and has to be a big step forward from instant. As you suggested they should also be a cleaner option and save the mess of grinders, coffee pucks and knock-boxes. ...but as suggested, there is no magic pill for the milk.

Some high-end espresso machines will take a pod adaptor, it might be a good way of getting a Giotto or similar into work (using pod coffee) and then slowly look at the idea of getting a grinder in there and fresh coffee for a big improvement.

Whatever you endup doing I hope the coffee is better than it is now!
    (thats the point right!)

8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 767E76717B7D1F0 link=1297226211/1#1 date=1297228770
    Its not a matter or "ridicule"
    Yeah, sorry, a poor choice of wording on my part. *My point was that they are almost universally considered incapable of producing a decent coffee, judging by what Ive read. *That said, I was just in HN, and the salesgirl assured me that she has a Nespresso at home, and all her friends agree its the best coffee theyve ever had... poor souls!

I guess I was hoping MAP or Saeco had managed to improve the offering of Nespresso through better design, better quality coffee or simply better packaging of the coffee within the capsule to retain some level of "freshness".

Quote Originally Posted by 5E717B661F0 link=1297226211/2#2 date=1297253099
    Some high-end espresso machines will take a pod adaptor
    Unfortunately, work wont be footing any of the bill for this, so Id imagine even getting a few people to chip in enough for low-end will be challenge enough!

Unless someone (other than the above-mentioned HN salesperson) jumps in and confirms a good experience with an affordable capsule machine, I might just go with a moka or get myself an aeropress & kyocera etc and pre-warm some milk in the microwave (I prefer milk based too). *Heck, if I start charging $1 a pop I could slowly pay that investment off too *;D

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 5B5E52565A5157083F0 link=1297226211/3#3 date=1297297379
    I might just go with a moka or get myself an aeropress & kyocera etc and pre-warm some milk in the microwave (I prefer milk based too). *Heck, if I start charging $1 a pop I could slowly pay that investment off too *;D
    I think this would be a better option. I have an Oscar and commercial grinder at work but still sometimes pull out the french press for that lovely smooth taste you get. I tend to drink mine with just a little milk, as you would with an instant coffee.

It may even be worth considering an inexpensive electric grinder such as your 0450. I love hand grinders but if you do end up making multiple coffees per day it can get quite time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by 27262C3F21243E4D0 link=1297226211/4#4 date=1297304416
    It may even be worth considering an inexpensive electric grinder such as your 0450. I love hand grinders but if you do end up making multiple coffees per day it can get quite time consuming. *
    Very good point!

As I duck and wait for the lightning from heaven to strike me down, my lavazza saeco makes a passable coffee for $0.75 per capsule. I cant manage a decent nespresso capsule for the same price, I can buy a refillable capsule which voids the warranty on a nespresso machine but means I can use beans of my own. If you want a coffee machine with very little cleaning and if you dont really want a fantastic froth the saeco machine is a good workplace machine, easy to use & clean, also relatively idiot proof too.

Thanks for your input Sharon... Ive had a coffee from a commercial self-serve fully auto machine using the Lavazza capsules, and found it ok... not as good as I can get at home, but for the benefits of convenience this type of machine provide, Id cop it!

Perhaps its just that neither of us is as "snobby" as others here... but well get there eventually, Im sure!

You know what, I was at Harvey Norman the other day and had a coffee from a Map machine and milk heated and frothed by a $69 thing. Guess what, i reckon that was completely ok. i wouldnt complaint if that was served by a cafe. Milk temp was just right and the coffee was tasty enough. ;D

Blog Entries

Ill buy you that low mess Map and $69 machine if you send me your Diadema and Rocky Franjae.* Ill even shout the freight!
    ;D

So.. what did the guys at work end-up going for Damien?

Quote Originally Posted by 1639332E570 link=1297226211/9#9 date=1303220471
    So.. what did the guys at work end-up going for Damien?
    Well, the purchase wont be required until later in the year (we move to a new office around September, so I was trying to lay some groundword essentially).

Its looking like were all chipping in $25 each for a.... Nespresso...* yay...* *:-[

I might just bite the bullet and get myself an Aeropress that can double as our camping solution.* I also dusted off the old french press and moka...* no surprise that they got thrown in the back of the cupboard after I last gave them a shot with stale pre-ground supermarket beans, but do a pretty good job with fresh beans.

Quote Originally Posted by 755A504D340 link=1297226211/9#9 date=1303220471
    Ill buy you that low mess Map and $69 machine if you send me your Diadema and Rocky Franjae.* Ill even shout the freight!
    I had a laugh! I bet you would. Compared to some of those KMart coffee machines, Id take this Map anyday. Simple to use and beats instant coffee anytime. Id miss roasting and general mucking around, but when I get old and lazy........ :D

Weve got a Lavaaza commercial pod machine at work - free, provided you buy $x of pods a month. It works OK, the coffees not quite as good as the old Saeco auto grinder we had, but it does the job and is easy to use in an office situation

Quote Originally Posted by 181B262A254B0 link=1297226211/12#12 date=1322200726
    free, provided you buy $x
    Ill give you your own personal barista with the same arrangement. ;D

The new aldi expressi pods fit the MAP coffee machines and at $5.99 for 16 they work out cheaper than officeworks MAP $6.50 for 10 BUT the MAP ones taste way better!

True MAP have only 4 flavours + decafe/choc as apposed to the 9 Aldi are offering but the aldi ones dont have the same build/construction of plastic filters inside as the MAP. The Aldi expressi have just the thin plastic lid so the water passes through too quickly giving weak, flavourless (some have described it as burnt) flavour!

Other posts have a review, thats my experience though

82 Abbotsford Road, Bowen Hills, QLD, 4006

Time to check out www.mydibellacoffee.com for our reusable pods that limit landfill by being recyclable, lower the cost to under 50c each and most importantly you can choose your own favorite coffee to extract and even grind it fresh yourself