Thread: Newbies Breville Cafe Roma Single Wall Basket Confusion

Newbies Breville Cafe Roma Single Wall Basket Confusion

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi CSnobbers....first post for another lurker(since Xmas)
    Always been a tea drinker and the occasional cappuccino from Adelaides abundant bakeries but last Xmas my son bought his wife one of those Nespresso gadgets and I inherited the Breville Cafe Roma, and that has started the journey.
    I borrowed a BCG450 and within a few days realised it doesnt grind fine enough but the coffees were improving thanks to discovering this site and the local supermarket getting regular deliveries of fresh roasted Rio Espresso beans.
    OK so wife and I are now hooked on 2 coffees a day so have tentatively started to invest some money in this addiction, starting with a new Breville Smartgrinder.
    Its so new that we have only had 2 coffees from it but they are a huge leap over the borrowed BCG450 coarse grind.
    Ive done a fair amount of reading about the different single wall baskets available but i am still unsure exactly what fits the Roma. A call to the local Breville repairer(smartarse) got me nowhere so does anyone know if the SWF100 basket kit fits the Roma?

Valvster

Re: Newbies Breville Cafe Roma Single Wall Basket Confusion

Try this:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1222853973

or this:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1226278400/19

Thanks for the reply TG, looks like you and Hotjava have had an ESP 4/51 working successfully in a Roma...is this basket for a single or double shot?
    (I mostly do doubles)
    I rang the Adelaide number in the thread and they wanted $19.95 for one basket hence the interest in the BSWF100 kit for $24.95.

Valvster

I would definitely go the BSWF100 kit over the ESP4/51 now that it is available.

While youre at it also replace the seal and give the machine a bit of a cleanup. The Roma can have a tendency for leaking around the seal when worn/dirty.

By the way the ESP4/51 is a double basket.

Thanks HJ,
    wandered into Myers the other day with my basket and it fits all the models they had on display except one so figured the kit has to fit.
    I dont understand why Breville only want to supply it for the 800 series, had an email this week from them stating that the kit will not fit a Cafe Roma.
    The Roma I have inherited is about 3 years old and has had straight Adelaide tapwater through it so Im already entering the first stage of this dreaded upgraditis....do I invest in baskets, tampers and stick with Breville(the Roma internals I presume are common across the whole range) or make a leap to a Lelit or Silvia?....something to ponder over a shiraz methinks....(my other addiction)

Valvster

Hi Valvster,

I am able to turn most Breville double-floor baskets into singles. The Pay it Forward thread has details.

If you can drop in sometime with your basket I can check that it can be done.

PM me for details if interested. All done at no charge except for your postage.

Greg