Thread: Sunbeam EM5900 and EM0450 from Target - $279!

Sunbeam EM5900 and EM0450 from Target - $279!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all, new to the forum and relatively new to cafe coffee. I bought a bunch of 2nd hand furniture a while back and they threw in a old Sunbeam EM4800 machine. I had gotten fairly proficient with it recently but it did have some issues (water leaked if reservoir left full, sometimes wouldnt steam). Then I made the mistake of opening it up and found it was mostly rust on the inside with the chassis almost totally disintegrated in places.
    Anyway, I wanted to make the switch to grinding my own and was about to go out and buy a 2nd hand Breville unit with grinder that id seen advertised locally (wife doesnt drink coffee, so my budget is very restricted) but decided to have a look for any deals in local shops first. Walked into Target and found they had the Sunbeam Cafe Espresso Essentials combo (EM5900 machine and EM0450 conical burr grinder) on special at $279 (RRP $499). Managed to get approval from the missus at that price.
    Have only brewed 2 cups so far, and with the new variable of grinding I think ill need a while yet before I can say how happy I am with it but all looks good so far. Except for an annoying problem where the supplied 2cup basket appears to be too wide at its base and jams in the handle a couple of mm before it seats. I have managed to force it in by banging it but then it is very much jammed in and takes some getting out with screwdrivers etc - not ideal. Will be taking it up with Sunbeam but was looking to upgrade to unpressurised basket anyway so not too bothered.
    I was also pretty pleased to discover that I was entitled to a complimentary Sunbeam Coffee School course with my purchase - usually $110. Have just booked it online for next week in Perth CBD. Anyone have any experience of these courses, any good?
    Anyway, have found the site very useful so far and no doubt will be drawing on more of all your expertise in future.

Re: Sunbeam EM5900 and EM0450 from Target - $279!

Im a n00b too and recently bought this combo, about a month ago. Looks like you paid a good price... when I bought it was closer to $379.

I ordered the unpressurised filters from Breville, roast coffee in a popper and now enjoying fairly decent coffee. I find the filter spring to be tight as well and need a teaspoon or knife to pop it out of the handle for cleaning. Hoping it loosens up after more use.

Im also booked in for next weeks session with Sunbeam, having realised the free lessons. Maybe well run into each other there :)

Wow $279 is a damn good price, I bet you could sell them separately for more.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D6664587466070 link=1299935993/2#2 date=1299974104
    Wow $279 is a damn good price, I bet you could sell them separately for more.
    :-?

Hey Bonsai, you mind telling me where you ordered the unpressurised Breville basket from and how much it cost? Ive seen a lot of part numbers mentioned in other posts and names different places to buy them but obviously better to go with recommendation from someone with exact same machine and in the same part of the country....

Tiger, I called up the Breville hotline. Just go to their website and the part is under products/coffee and kettles/coffee accessories. Part number is BSWF100. Should be called their single wall filter set.

It is made for the Breville 800es and bes820 but the filter size is exactly the same. They dont sell unless you own one of the machines... but they dont check either. I just told them I owned one. Costs about $25 and you get a single and double filter. Takes about a week to be sent out.

I bought the Breville Single Wall filter dual kit (Non Pressurised, single shot and double shot) from the Breville outlet in Redfern (gee I hope Im not violating any sponsors here ...) for $22 yesterday ... Im using it on my Sunbeam EM3600 - didnt quite get the crema etc right this morning, but already its made a huge difference compared to the standard pressurised (crap!) basket ...

... Im looking forward to controlling the grind (I do have a decent Breville BCG450 Bar Aroma grinder, which *JUST* grinds fine enough for espresso) and also tampering it a little less hard.

Im expecting the same improvements in my home setup - a basic 15bar Breville Cafe Roma machine and Krupps grinder, which grinds very fine, except the hopper feeder is terribly annoying as it often stops feeding (Choice tests confirmed this problem).

I hope to finally now be able to fine tune the art of grinding and tampering, before graduating to a better machine (if needed), as Ive already been trained in this process before - its great I can finally have the tools to practise it!

Overall, these unpressurised baskets are brilliant ... easily the best $22 Ive spent in a while ....* ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 4053404F42484055400C4E5B210 link=1299935993/6#6 date=1305248220
    .. Im looking forward to controlling the grind (I do have a decent Breville BCG450 Bar Aroma grinder, which *JUST* grinds fine enough for espresso) and also tampering it a little less hard.

Hi arianciata!

youre well on your way to better coffee - unpressurised baskets are a vital investment!

hows the breville outlet?* i always drive by but havent visited yet.

ive heard theres mods you can make to the bcg450 to allow it to grind finer.* do a search on the forum

(also just a small note -* its tamping not tampering* :P)