Thread: How do i maximise my EM2300? CS has inspired me... :)

How do i maximise my EM2300? CS has inspired me... :)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

Ive inherited an EM2300 and after surfing the forums for a while, I realise I could really unlock some potential from this little machine!* Ill be the first to admit im a complete newbie, so dont complete understand all the finer points of coffee atm. Im also still quite limited in budget at the moment.* Keeping this in mind, this is where Im at right now...

[olist][*] I need to get a grinder! It seems the EM0450 seems to be a fav amongst CS (cheapest I can find online is $130 - anywhere I could pick it up cheaper?)
    I saw a Breville BCG450 for $89 brand new...worth getting?[*] Do I need to get a single walled filter?* could someone explain this to me more?* dont quite understand why its better
    Also I only have a double shot basket - is there a problem using this for single shots? [*]Tamping How much pressure should I tamp?* Also is the stock plastic tamper sufficient?[*]Beans* What is a good place to source some well priced and quality beans?* Im located in Kensington, Sydney. [*]General Advice? Ive read various things about Temp Surfing (please explain :)) , how to use the steam wand best (no rubber tip?) etc.* Any general tips for EM2300 use is appreciated
    [/olist]

Thankyou in advance guys.* I know it seems like there are a Lot of posts involving the EM2300 but hopefully this will not only help me, but help to consolidate info for may other newbies.* it seems to be the entry level choice!

Cheers!* [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Re: How do i maximise my EM2300? CS has inspired me... :)

Quote Originally Posted by 3F31312F7821393831560 link=1300539373/0#0 date=1300539373
    I saw a Breville BCG450 for $89 brand new...worth getting?
    NO!

Quote Originally Posted by 3F31312F7821393831560 link=1300539373/0#0 date=1300539373
    Do I need to get a single walled filter?*
    Yes. They are what you use for freshly ground coffee. The double walled baskets are for use with stale, pre-ground "coffee".

I only have a double shot basket - is there a problem using this for single shots?
    No; I only use a double basket, as do many others here; many ways to skin a cat.

Tamping How much pressure should I tamp?* Also is the stock plastic tamper sufficient?
    15kg. try get yourself a better tamper (search the forum for details).

Beans* What is a good place to source some well priced and quality beans?* Im located in Kensington, Sydney.
    You can order online from many of the site sponsors. By Kensington is that work, home or both?

P.S. Welcome to CS.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B55554B1C455D5C55320 link=1300539373/0#0 date=1300539373
    Do I need to get a single walled filter?
    Yes, and you will need a decent grinder at the same time or you will get poor results. (See my "modification" thread in Pay it Forward for a cheap alternative to a new one.)

The rest of what Thundergod says is right on.

Greg

Hey Iggs,

Ive been in Kensington for a couple of years and am now in Coogee. It is frowned upon to mention non site-sponsor businesses on these forums but there are a couple of great places to buy beans in the area. Especially up in Randwick and next door to you in Alexandria.mIf you want, shoot me a PM.

I think a flat out NO! to the Breville grinder is a bit harsh TG.

We can advise that a good grinder will do a far better job, but a good grinder is going to be at least quadruple the price of a Breville. When it boils down to it, a Breville grinder is going to do a far better job than coles crap mccrap packeted grounds.

Id say that a grinder in that range will be pretty well matched to the EM2300 which is also an entry level espresso machine. If you are passionate about making coffee you will most likely find yourself wanting to upgrade both your espresso machine and grinder in the future, but if you just want something to tinker around with, and learn some skills with for now, Id say your getting something which is going to satisfy your needs. Whatever equipment you are on, you will need practice before youre making sex in a cup. Id say that entry level equipment is going to allow you to practise without having to stop eating for the next few weeks.

The experienced baristi on these forums are obviously going to turn up there noses at that equipment and would recommend much higher quality (much more $$), but theyre saying that from their context, which is very very different to that of a beginner.

Its all one big compromise between cost and quality and that compromise varies greatly from person to person.

brett230873

Sorry FreshBlood but TG is spot on! The BCG450 is not suitable for espresso and if the OP is going to do as desired he will need to spend at least another $50 go go to the Sunbeam. Do a search on CS and even just in the last 3 months there are plenty of posts indicating the difficulties with the Breville.

I used a bcg450 initially with my gaggia classic. While not as good as some, it was a perfectly adequate grinder for a beginner, once I applied the modification to allow it to grind finer.

Im not sure how much direct experience those bagging it have, but Id still recommend it if your budget is limited to the under $150 range, unless a cheap used grinder turns up.

thanks for all the advice so far guys

I have decided to go with an EM0450 - better investment in the long run I think and roughly only about $40 more.* Im planning to check out the sunbeam factory outlet to see if I can pick up a good deal!

@ThunderGod - live and work in kensington area

@Greg - I may well take up that offer! will pm you if needed.* thanks for your service to everyone here :)

@Freshblood - PMd re beans! thx

Now the Grinder problem is resolved, any more advice on the other points?

(also i had some crazy blowout tonight - coffee grounds everywhere and lots of steam spraying out when I took the Portafilter off.* is that due to too much pressure in the tamp?)

Hey Iggs!
    You finally signed up! Welcome to CS.
    Re: Tamper - get one that fits as best as possible - i.e. no gaps around the side. You can read all about curved vs flat based tampers if you wish, but whatever will do for now. I think fit is more important than type of base.
    Re: Temp surf - I dont think you need to worry about that on your machine. Its something that mainly Silvia owners have to worry about. But if you do want to keep the temperature variable constant, its always a good thing to hit the brew switch at the same temp band each time. For instance, always brew when the boiler light goes off (this would be at or near the top of the temp band). Also make sure there is sufficient warm up time... Im guessing for a small machine like the EM2300, 15-20min should suffice.

Hope you get your grinder and beans soon! And get rid of that pressurised basket!

Cheers,
    Ben

haha hey ben.* look like i got you posting again - nice!

yeah the more i read, the more i realise I need a good tamper. I might pay a visit to di bartoli @ bondi?* pick up some beans and have a look at some of their gear* (any tips on where to get a good, well priced tamper?)

but first things first - grinder and basket! :)

The same rules apply to this machine as to others. Plenty of good info out there. Make sure you do a bit of a flush before you brew your coffee until the steam stops coming out of the group.

The blow out is because of the mechanics of the machine. Mine did it all the time. More expensive machines have valves which release the pressure. If you steam your milk after making the coffee the pressure will be gone by the time you are done.

Start with the basics and dont over think it. Make sure you are getting good beans and a good grind and then just play from there. You will find that if you are making average coffees they will still taste fantastic and your taste buds should develop with your skill. Just enjoy it and continue to improve.

thanks for all the helpful hints guys - ironically just as I was getting excited about it all, my EM2300 went on the blink (if you can shed some light about fixing it pls have a look at http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1300698283)

Anyway still doesnt change the fact i need to learn more!

People seem to favour double shot baskets - so if i want a single shot does this mean i just fill up a double shot basket, and just let one side pour into the cup? (and the other side is just wasted) sorry if this sounds very noob, but just wanting some clarification. thx!