Thread: Help...

Help...

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    Im new at this, but if anyone can offer any advice I would be grateful.
    I have recently bought a reconditioned Gaggia Color (same as a Gaggia Pure). I cant get any creama when trying to pour an espresso.
    I bought fresh beans (Harris Espresso "strong") and ground them on the finest setting I could (Breville cg12 grinder). I have tried two new bags of coffee but still there is no crema, just black and pretty watery coffee.
    Also the boiler bubbles quite a bit, which I am not used to.
    Any tips or suggestions?
    Peter

Re: Help...

Quote Originally Posted by 74555E6B52555C745557423B0 link=1300704797/0#0 date=1300704797
    I bought fresh beans (Harris Espresso "strong")
    Where did you buy them from, and how do you know when they were roasted? Ive usually seen this at Coles/Woolworths with no "Roasted on" date. Could be up to 6 months from roast date or more if thats the case.

Quote Originally Posted by 74555E6B52555C745557423B0 link=1300704797/0#0 date=1300704797
    just black and pretty watery coffee.
    What sort of time is a 60mL double shot taking to pour?

Quote Originally Posted by 77565D6851565F77565441380 link=1300704797/0#0 date=1300704797
    Any tips or suggestions?
    Peter
    Hi Peter
    sadly those beans will not be fresh...
    best bet is to go to a good roaster in the local area and buy fresh or one of the sponsors on this site including Andy here @ CS via his "buy roasted coffee" button up there on the left

whats your location ?

Thank you for your replies.
    Yes the beans are just form the supermarket. Is no crema expected?
    Im in Brisbane.
    60ml double shot takes 25 to 30 seconds to pour.
    Peter

plenty of great roasters now in Brisbane

Di Bella in Bowen hills
    Veneziano in west end

heaps in the valley area

if you happen to be local to Hawthorne area i can even give you some as i am roasting some tomorrow

also i hate to say it but that grinder is not "great" but fresh beans will help you as much as possible.
    Most here also assume you have a tamper of some sort?

keep at it, it takes time to get it sorted.
    but the rewards are great :)

Thank you very much for all the helpful advice. Ill get some fresh roasted beans soon and keep trying. Love to upgrade the grinder but Ill have to get sign-off on that first ;)
    Thanks again
    Peter :)

Hi,

I have the same grinder, and I find by default its not fine enough. If youre getting 25 - 30s on a 60mL double then maybe youre ok, but you will probably find another breakthrough if/when you can upgrade the grinder.

In the mean time, theres a small mod on this site which lets you go a bit finer with the BCG12 - Ive done it and while its still not the best grinder, its a lot better than it was!

HTH!

Do you have a tamper? Also dose tap down and then top up, level the grounds then tamp. The top of the tamped surface needs to be just a whisker under the screen so dont be afraid to top it right up and use a god firm tamp.

Apart from that almost certainly the grinder and you need some fresh beans. Harris of most shelves will almost certainly not be fresh 3-4 weeks post roast maximum for ideal consumption.

Good luck :)

Thank you for your replies. I havent gotten the fresh beans yet.
    Its very frustrating because I had a sunbeam cafe roma em4800 and it was fine. I only ever used supermarket coffee, and it poured with a crema most of the time. Also people used to say how great it tasted, which encouraged me to get better brand of machine when it finally died.
    Now the espresso tastes weak and when I make a cappuccino my wife agrees it just tastes very milky - very little coffee flavour.
    I was expecting it would taste better through a Gaggia!

Were you using the crema enhancing baskets on the EM4800 ?

Single floor non pressurised baskets rely on Grind/dose and tamp to get a good shot while pressurised baskets will make passable coffee with rubbish.

I think I was just using the standard baskets that came with the machine, maybe someone else can tell me if they are pressurised.

Thats how the 4800 comes as standard with the pressurised baskets. Basically they produce FAKE crema ;-)

For a plan of attack fresh beans from a known source (not supermarket). Mod the grinder so it grinds as fine as possible. Get a tamper if you havnt already. Then settle in for some fun and learning to make proper espresso :)

OK thanks guys. Gee that explains why it was OK with the 4800. I have the plastic tamper that came with the Gaggia. Unfortunately I am interstate for a few days but will get back on the case when I return. Looking forward to a decent espresso! Thanks again.

Struggling to find the CG12 grinder mod. Is it the spacer mod same as the BCG450? There seems to be some people saying this would not work on the cg12...

This vid might help. ASAP grab a better grinder, if your on a budget then a Ceramic Hand grinder will run rings around most electric ones to the $500ish mark :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny75x2k0uF4[/media]

sorry I led up up the path with that last comment - I have the 450 modded... I got confused with the numbers for a sec :)