Thread: Anyone familiar with older Saeco Magic Espresso (predecessor of VV?)

Anyone familiar with older Saeco Magic Espresso (predecessor of VV?)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I think the subject pretty much says it all... Ive noticed one of these on evilbay in my general part of the world, and it looks quite similar to the Via Venezia (which I almost purchased as my first coffee machine - went Ikon instead). Buttons are laid out a little differently, but the shape and size and general look of the machine appears very similar.

Im considering if its worth the relatively small outlay, and a shortish drive to have this machine at work?

Anyone familiar with these machines (this one is around 9 years old, with light use)? Are they in fact closely related or a previous incarnation of the Via Venezia, and are there any know issues that would make this not worth the time, $ and effort?

Cheers,
    Damien

Re: Anyone familiar with older Saeco Magic Espresso (predecessor of VV?)

Obviously no-one familiar with the machine, or the thread just wasnt interesting enough to warrant a response* :(

FWIW, the machine went for $29 on ebay, but I didnt take the risk... if it was 5 mins away I wouldve, but didnt want to risk the 2hr return drive in case it was a lemon!

Id still be interest to know of the origins of the machine, if its closely related to the VV etc, if anyone knows.

Cheers,
    Damien

Re: Anyone familiar with older Saeco Magic Espresso (predecessor of VV?)

A lot of those Seaco machines share a very simular set of internals, though much got altered over the years, with brass to SS boilers and different but the same group heads, with updates to some of the lower boiler sections to accept pods at some point.

I had/have like an original version as such, brass before they went SS, early pump etc, the case as such in many is almost a weird re-skin of the same gear to change looks.

Are they any good?, well its a mix of good and bad, they still continue to make a version or two, but I always found the deep small baskets just hard to extract with, almost harder than say a small thermoblock, but upside is I think most steamed well, I know mine did fairly good.

On the big bad side, parts are getting harder to get, a lot harder from my point of view, hence why Im throwing in the towel with mine, expensive as well in that regard, not real easy to work on either, I have dreaded the two times I had to put a new group seal in mine.