Thread: Tamper Size for EM5900 standard basket

Tamper Size for EM5900 standard basket

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone

looking at buying a tamper for use with my sunbeam em5900 baskets and just wondering if anyone knew the size i should be getting?

from what Ive read it seems most domestic sunbeam baskets are 51mm?

(I would take my basket in to get checked, but they are currently being modified by gregwormald. thx greg! :))

cheers

Re: Tamper Size for EM5900 standard basket

51mm is the nominal size for most of those machines. Their actual diameter will probably be somewhere between 51 and 52mm so if you want the tamper to fit properly then youll need to know its exact size or send it to someone who makes tampers to fit baskets and have them make one to fit. There are a couple of Aussie businesses who make tampers but as far as Im aware were the only ones who offer custom sizing (at no extra cost ;)).

If youre only looking for a cheapie then take your baskets with you when you go to a place that sells tampers and try to find one that fits. Anything off the shelf will be 51mm exactly so you probably wont have much choice in the way of size, but at least you wont get one thats too big!

Greg

thanks for the help greg! didnt expect to be getting advice from the tamper guru himself!

how i would love a custom pullman, but budget wont allow atm unfortunately. Ill get there one day... :)

Ive the EM5900 and just bought a 50mm tamper on Ebay.
    Unfortunately I can only get the tamper in about 2mm then it wont go down any further.
    Im guessing my basket is about 51mm and the edge of the tamper is tapered so it gets wider the deeper in you go.

Thats a case in point as to why we try to encourage people to send us their baskets rather than relying on historical data. While thats often accurate, theres nothing to stop a manufacturer changing a specification. The only safe way is to send it in, or next best to measure it with calipers.

Greg

I bought a 51mm stainless steel jobby from ebay for a shade over $20 and it worked fine with the stock baskets. Now Im using a non-pressurised basket from an old Breville machine and I need a 52mm. Anyone want to buy a 51mm tamper :D ?

I got a PreciseFit 51mm from DiBartoli. It seems a tiny bit too small, but the mm or so "give" could be necessary. I did want to try a 52mm but the vendor wouldnt reply to my emails after I queried them for not honouring the CS 10% first order discount, and had problems getting them to claim a refund for Aus Post breaking the Express Post guranatee.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5B7E6D74797E73651F0 link=1301271247/6#6 date=1303702927
    I got a PreciseFit 51mm from DiBartoli. It seems a tiny bit too small, but the mm or so "give" could be necessary. I did want to try a 52mm but the vendor wouldnt reply to my emails after I queried them for not honouring the CS 10% first order discount, and had problems getting them to claim a refund for Aus Post breaking the Express Post guranatee.
    Wow Dark, must have been a tough transaction for them?* :-?

My reading indicates a 5% discount on your first order. Did they know you were a CSer and did you call or rely on PM or email?

I guess its possible that the post was missed at the end of the day or something else unforeseen happened. No doubt that time taken to follow up Auspost more than negated their margin on a tamper.

Freight and post can often be an irritation. A consignment sent to galumay on 12/4 and due in 5-9 days still has not arrived. I guess sometimes stuff just happens and its always good if a little slack can be cut- at least at the outset ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 0C534B5D565D5158585B5B535F503E0 link=1301271247/7#7 date=1303703672
    Quote Originally Posted by 5B7E6D74797E73651F0 link=1301271247/6#6 date=1303702927
    Wow Dark, must have been a tough transaction for them?* :-?

My reading indicates a 5% discount on your first order. Did they know you were a CSer and did you call or rely on PM or email?

I guess its possible that the post was missed at the end of the day or something else unforeseen happened. No doubt that time taken to follow up Auspost more than negated their margin on a tamper.

Freight and post can often be an irritation. A consignment sent to galumay on 12/4 and due in 5-9 days still has not arrived. I guess sometimes stuff just happens and its always good if a little slack can be cut- at least at the outset ;)

Chris

Perhaps it was 5%. I made quite a big order specifically to get a bigger discount, advised them of my CS ID and that it was my first purchase. They said that because Id already paid, they couldnt give me any discount and sent me a small bag of coffee beans to "compensate". Aus post did not attempt delivery to my house, instead it showed up in tracking as awaiting collection well past closing time on the next day. Aus post told me I could claim a refund but Id need to get the sender to lodge a complaint for me.

I sent them an email regarding this but never got any reply (presumably they either never followed it up, or kept the refund for themselves) and regarding applying the discount I never got on my first order to a second order instead, and received no reply to that either. Which is a shame because I couldnt locate those tampers elsewhere and did want to try the 52mm version.

Quote Originally Posted by 5075667F7275786E140 link=1301271247/8#8 date=1303982749
    I sent them an email regarding this but never got any reply (presumably they either never followed it up, or kept the refund for themselves)
    I think that remark is pretty rude. Did you ever stop to think that your email may not have been received, or that it would be a better idea to pick up the phone rather than vent here, where a solution is harder to find?

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 3325202031333F36363535500 link=1301271247/9#9 date=1303988077
    I think that remark is pretty rude.* Did you ever stop to think that your email may not have been received, or that it would be a better idea to pick up the phone rather than vent here, where a solution is harder to find?
    Thank you Dennis. Tampers compatibility has always been a difficult area to juggle, from reasons beyond any retailers control. And as Pullman mentioned, we do encourage people to send us their basket for a perfect fit, advice which I believe was shared in this case prior to purchase.

Darkfalz, I have sent you a detailed email*relating to your concerns and hoping it will answer your queries.

I would like to take the opportunity to remind members to email us prior to purchase, so we can send them 5% discount voucher with their first purchase to apply online. If you do not identify yourself as member we have no way of knowing. Please identify yourself to our staff while visiting us in store or online. :)

Ofra

Getting back on topic, sort of. The 52mm I ordered for my non-standard breville basket arrived and it was too small. I got out the calipers and it only measured 51mm (depsite coming in a box labelled 52mm). The vendor happily accepted the return and sent me a more expensive 52mm tamper at no extra charge (kudos to them) and it is the right size. Cant help but wonder if Zacs "50mm" tamper doesnt actually measure 50mm, as by rights it should be too small, not too big.

Quote Originally Posted by 3F2F3E2D3C3C354C0 link=1301271247/11#11 date=1304826306
    Getting back on topic, sort of. The 52mm I ordered for my non-standard breville basket arrived and it was too small. I got out the calipers and it only measured 51mm (depsite coming in a box labelled 52mm). The vendor happily accepted the return and sent me a more expensive 52mm tamper at no extra charge (kudos to them) and it is the right size. Cant help but wonder if Zacs "50mm" tamper doesnt actually measure 50mm, as by rights it should be too small, not too big.
    Could be your calipers are a mm out too. Could also be the basket is slightly tapered. Best to send the basket in, luckily I have two so can afford to do so.

Calipers that are out by a mm should go in the bin. Mine have already proven accurate beyond 0.1mm, like any caliper should.

Regardless, I have received two tampers that claim to be the same size but are in fact 1mm different. Zac has a tamper that should be too small but is in fact too big. My point is that "precision" is a word sadly lacking from the world of low-end tamper manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by 3020312233333A430 link=1301271247/13#13 date=1304979618
    Calipers that are out by a mm should go in the bin. Mine have already proven accurate beyond 0.1mm, like any caliper should.

Regardless, I have received two tampers that claim to be the same size but are in fact 1mm different. Zac has a tamper that should be too small but is in fact too big. My point is that "precision" is a word sadly lacking from the world of low-end tamper manufacture.
    Jet Black and Di Bartoli both have PreciseFit ones where you can send your basket in and they arent that expensive (about $64-70). The difference between them as far as I can tell is that the Jet Black ones have some circular lines up the side for gauging tamp depth, but are otherwise the same.

I only have about 0.5mm of give either way, it doesnt affect the tamp, a slight tap before the final tamp and polish dislodges any grinds that have gone up the side.

Is a flat or convex bottomed tamper better for the EM5900? Seems like the shower screen is flat to me rather than convex, so guessing a flat bottomed... Anyone bought one?

as the thread starter about time for me to reply what i actually bought!

I ended up buying a Di Bartoli Home Barista 51mm tamper.* Its nice and solid, feels good in the hand and fits well (took my basket in ).* The base and handles are actually interchangeable so if i upgrade to a commercial sized basket, just need to buy a bigger base. check out my avatar for pic.* (im a big fan of green so love it :))

(this is after i attempted to buy a cheaper 52mm tamper from bodum which didnt fit!* my fault for assuming itd be ok and not testing it)

jb-0101: Have a search on the forums for flat or convex base arguments - in the end, its not the most important thing.* good fit is key.* Mine is flat bottommed