Thread: Breville Ikon DOWN! Help!

Breville Ikon DOWN! Help!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This morning my faithful Ikon fell terribly ill and didnt produce any steam. All other functions are fine, just nothing happens when the steam button is pressed, it just flashes but the boiler doesnt seem to go into steam mode!
    Any fixes known??

Re: Breville Ikon DOWN! Help!

Is there no steam coming out or is there no steaming sounds at all from the machine (usually you would hear the boiler moving or similar)?

It was letting water out but no steam. I know what you mean about the steam noise as the boiler heats up, I noticed it wasnt making any noises, just the steam button would flash and nothing happened.

However, the next day it was working fine again like nothing ever went wrong.

Its a bit concerning.

My friend has given me his Ikon now to try fix because it seems his boiler has stopped working. It pumps, but the water never heats.

Any ideas on fixing?

Have you tried priming it?

Its the first thing any Ikon owner should think of if the boiler is not moving because its simple and a 2 sec process - please let me know if you have no idea what Im talking about. :)

If you have, try also to clean the steamer using the tools provided by Breville too and see if it helps.

Yeah I always prime my machine after steaming to re-fill the boiler.
    When my steaming failed before, it was right after pouring a shot that I hit the steam button and nothing would happen. Like I said, the boiler was heating the water for the shot just fine.

This friends machine, I do not know if they possibly forgot to re-prime it after using the steam, and that possibly damaged the boiler next time they went to use it without priming it.

Can I just pull it apart and check something with my multi-meter to see whats broken/not working?

Quote Originally Posted by 6A60686969740D0 link=1302136284/4#4 date=1302757106
    Can I just pull it apart and check something with my multi-meter to see whats broken/not working?
    Hmm depends how old the machine is and how experienced you are incase you void the warranty..

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 535653525A573F0 link=1302136284/5#5 date=1302759520
    Quote Originally Posted by 6A60686969740D0 link=1302136284/4#4 date=1302757106
    Hmm depends how old the machine is and how experienced you are incase you void the warranty..
    ..or void yourself.... :-?

its about 2 years older than its 12 month warranty.
    yeah... of course i will leave it plugged in and powered up when i pull it apart and start sticking a knife into it.
    thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 32383031312C550 link=1302136284/7#7 date=1302761837
    yeah... of course i will leave it plugged in and powered up when i pull it apart and start sticking a knife into it.
    thanks for the advice.
    And will you be doing it barefoot standing on a wet floor?

Quote Originally Posted by 4C444A42405A5A464A42290 link=1302136284/8#8 date=1302832945
    Quote Originally Posted by 32383031312C550 link=1302136284/7#7 date=1302761837
    thanks for the advice.
    Of course.
    I assume the experience for both my Ikon and myself will be quite bonding.

I guess I will just go ahead and open her up and get back to this thread if I have any useful info to pass on to the next ikon owner who is in need.

And will you be doing it barefoot standing on a wet floor?

Hi gmeddy and lilmeh
    I think I got the same issue with my Breville Ikon. The main button keeps on flashing and the machine never heats up even after some time (20 min).
    Any thoughts on how to get it working again? Including taking the panel of and change inline fuses, that kind of stuff.
    Thank you for any help.
    Romano

Quote Originally Posted by 34292B27282924353233222334460 link=1302136284/10#10 date=1303386022
    Hi gmeddy and lilmeh
    I think I got the same issue with my Breville Ikon. The main button keeps on flashing and the machine never heats up even after some time (20 min).
    I can give an non-technical answer (the idiots answer :P).
    First, have you tried filling it up with more water?
    I am not kidding because this happened to me when the water tray was not in place, the water was not filled up (I didnt look), etc etc and for the life of me couldnt figure out whats wrong until I took everything out and put everything back in - my excuse is that theres a reason for having morning coffees heh.
    Secondly, when it is flashing, try pressing the other buttons - does it react?
    Check the manual - theres a troubleshooting section about certain buttons flashing etc.
    Finally, all else fails, take it to your nearest Breville dealer and see how much it costs to fix. The locations are on their website.

the problem with mine is not the boiler...
    it heats up just fine... the problem is something with the circuitry.
    after heating up, it now seems to stop monitoring the temp - maintaining the temp.
    so when i turn it off and back on it re-heats up to operating temp, but will cool down until i turn it off and on again.
    the steam function is even more of an elusive gremlin now, to get that to work i have to perform some sort of trick.
    often i have to wait til it has cooled a bit, then turn it off and on again, and wait for it to stop heating, as soon as i hear the click of the boiler cutting out and all three lights come on, i hit the steam button, and if i hear the click of it cutting in, i know I GOT IT!

I recently pulled it all apart, even removed the boiler completely and cleaned all the calcium out of it.
    much easier job than i thought it would be.
    there were no fuses that i could see anywhere.
    but there is an enclosed computer board with who knows what in there, probably fuses and switches/relays that could be faulty.
    I was hoping that cleaning the temp sender inside the boiler may fix my problem but alas, upon reassembly it behaves exactly the same way.

and no, i did not get electrocuted thank you very much.
    ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 6C696C6D6568000 link=1302136284/11#11 date=1303949405
    First, have you tried filling it up with more water?
    yeah, no problems with water, i always purge it as soon as turning it on in the morning.

Im about to order a second hand EM6910, cant handle this anymore...

Argh, the exact same thing happend to mine today. Had it for three years and always primed it before use. Did anyone find the resolution for this or paid for servicing. Guessing repair will cost as much as the machine...

my 2nd hand one crash as well.
    I will contact with the seller about this problem.
    It has not even been used, I just plug in and turn it on, it die.
    And idea how to open it?
    I unscrew the 3 star shape behind the machine and 3 under it, the cover is still stay strong.

Hi there,

I had the same issue about the steam not going. The light flashes and nothing happens. The shots seem to be working ok.

I pulled the whole machine apart today and found some very neat cabling and electronics. I understand a little about these things, having done an electronics engineering degree... However, that doesnt guarantee anything since youd normally still need the service manual or schematic.

Anyways, I had a look at the logic board and found that the most suspicious element is the RELAY. I did a quick search on the net and found a replacement part SRUDH-SS-124D1 which is not exactly the same one but I reckon it could work as fine. Im just about to order the part from x-on although it really annoys me that the part costs $3 and they charge $16 for postage...

Ill let you know how goes once I sold the relay in place of the original one. Not sure this will fix it. It could be many things. It could be diodes or even the processor... Wish me luck.

Cheers

Miguel

Breville IKON Not makeing Coffee but will steam

Hi all,

Its happened before, and after frantically pressing buttons, I got it working but today, nope still not working.
    I think it is time to buy a Silvia!

Anyone know how to fix this tho? I need coffee now, and the Silvia wont happen till someone in Adel has one to sell ;-)

Basially the loud noise it makes when the water goes throught the group, goes away, but when I open the steam wand, the noise is opperating like normal.

Please I need a coffee!!! :)

Ive had exactly the same issue over the last week!

With me, if I turn it off - 3 or 4 times sometimes, then it comes good!
    (After running the primer, or running water through normally sometimes!)

It seems to be an electrical issue to me, as when it does work, it is perfect....
    Its like something is not switching on.

Did anyone here send the machine in for service and find out a definitive problem ?

TIA, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 6D656864687D68090 link=1302136284/16#16 date=1324389299
    I had the same issue about the steam not going. The light flashes and nothing happens. The shots seem to be working ok.
    Guys, sorry if I sound like one of those IT support guys that only knows how to tell customers to turn things on and off but have you guys cleaned out the insides of your steam wand with the provided pin?

Its just that (touch wood) I never had any problems with my Ikon but I follow the cleaning instructions to the boot.
    i.e. clean machine (flush and wipe down shower head and steam wand) after every use, dismantle shower head and clean weekly, clean insides of steam wand and flush out with clean water weekly, etc.

<quote>Guys, sorry if I sound like one of those IT support guys that only knows how to tell customers to turn things on and off but have you guys cleaned out the insides of your steam wand with the provided pin?</quote>

Nah, if you were in front of my machine you would immediately see that this is not the issue - one minute it is working perfectly the next it is like the steam wand is simply not opened up !

Cheers, Dave

brettmax

Hi,
    If you cannot fix it would you be interested in selling the steam dial to me, mine threaded the other day and I cannot tighten it enough to stop the steam escaping.
    Thanks
    Brett

Hi everyone,

Miguel, did you get your Ikon going again with the part you bought? Ive had the exact same problem. The light keeps flashing but nothing happens. Ive looked after it from day one (about 2 years ago) always priming after steaming,cleaning the wand etc.

Also has anyone found out how much to fix by Breville?