Thread: Removing Filter out of Group Handle

Removing Filter out of Group Handle

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi

I am the lucky owner of a new PU5900 pack (EM5900 and EM0450). First coffee not too bad for ground coffee and first attempt. After cleaning up everything, I am unable to get the filter out of the group handle. I know there is a spring in the group handle to lock it in tight, but is it necessary to have the spring in there? I have tried prising the filter off with knives etc, to no avail, it will not budge at all. Is there any secret to getting them off? Should they be that tight/necessary to be that tight?

Cheers

Re: Removing Filter out of Group Handle

when i first got mine it was the same. extremely tight fit!!

I used a combo of fingers/knife/teaspoon to get it out I think haha. I had to to this for quite a while, but over time it will loosen

(dont worry - i had the same thought "did i get a dud filter basket?!") :)

You can try using a pair of pliers needle-nose pliers.. I always do that with my basket cuz it is just insanely tight too.
    I dont think its recommended to remove the spring cuz your basket will slide out easily when you knock the puck out, which can be a nuisance.

Use the lip of another basket like a can opener (Church Key) to pop out a basket locked in a portafilter handle.

I had one of these too on one of my exchanges. Something went wrong in manufacturing and some are too tight for some baskets. In this case the double basket was extremely tight and the single basket wouldnt go in at all. Either swap your group handle at the store, or contact Sunbeam who will most likely send you a new one.

Also had a similar experience. I bent the spring into a more circular shape to lessen resistance. I also took a half-round file and filed a much deeper groove into the side of the group handle to allow better access under the lip of the filter (the groove from the factory is a joke, gives you far less than a mm of lip to lever off). Its still a firm fit and I now use a teaspoon to stop breaking finger nails, but it still beats fishing the filter our of your bin because of too loose a fit.

They certainly are frustrating filters. I did eventually get the filter out by doing the following. I put the group handle @ a 45% angle, exposing the groove in the group handle where the filter sits in. I gave the filter a sharp jab with a screwdriver via the groove and it come out OK. Before that I tried, pliers, knives, u name it I tried, all I succeeded in was barking my knuckles!
    I put the single filter in and it doesnt even fit tight, it moves from side to side and falls (spring doesnt even hold it in place), whereas the double filter is way too tight. Quality control.......

Quote Originally Posted by 4B5E545651564B5A5E4C463F0 link=1304915782/6#6 date=1304984763
    They certainly are frustrating filters.* I did eventually get the filter out by doing the following.* I put the group handle @ a 45% angle, exposing the groove in the group handle where the filter sits in.* I gave the filter a sharp jab with a screwdriver via the groove and it come out OK.* Before that I tried, pliers, knives, u name it I tried, all I succeeded in was barking my knuckles!
    I put the single filter in and it doesnt even fit tight, it moves from side to side and falls (spring doesnt even hold it in place), whereas the double filter is way too tight.* Quality control.......
    Take it back and exchange just the filter handle. I contacted Sunbeam because one I had was a bit jagged on the spout, and they sent me out a second one, gratis. They both fit the baskets perfectly (although the new one they sent was pre-pod modification with the spring a bit lower, so doesnt take the single pod basket). So I have two of them, so if I ever needed to make lots of coffees I can grind into one while extracting the other.