Thread: Aldi Automatic Twin Boiler Espresso Machine $399 (16/6/11)

Aldi Automatic Twin Boiler Espresso Machine $399 (16/6/11)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_18132.htm

The bargain of last year is back for the same rock bottom incredible price!

Ive owned this unit for about 9 months now. Not a bad thing to say about it, the only competitor pricewise is still more than double the price in shops (Kmart/BigW), at around $850. There are cheap units on ebay but no idea about their quality.

This aldi machine has 2 years in home service warranty. Thats right they come to you if you ever have a problem.

My quality Aldi twin boiler automatic hadnt skipped a beat until just 3 days ago. It was pouring the delicious coffee I"ve come to expect when there was a loud pressure decompression and steam came billowing out from the back, and a triangle with WARNING in the center displayed on LCD screen.
    As you can imagine I was a bit worried, but I had realised I hadnt cleaned the removable brewer youre supposed to clean every couple of days for about 2 months. I opened the door removed that part , poured it under hot water and wiped it down, inserted and once again working like perfect.

This is a great machine at a great price. I will say however quality control is not great. I bought 2 of these. When I have the quality burr grinder on 1 2 or 3 with mine, the pucks are all very nicely compacted and not wet after they are expelled into the puck bin, but on the unit I bought for a relative even on 1 setting (finest) the pucks in the puck bin are wet and some fall apart when expelled. To me this says the puck isnt being compacted enough. The grind looks fine.

Anyway I use and recommend this machine, and still use it. When I buy the semi auto machines I give up pretty quickly because its so time consuming manually grinding beans, tamping and operating it manually. I end up using instant coffee. With the aldi auto at a press of a button I have a quality steaming espresso with a beautiful dark oily crema.

PS last year this came out at $399 but a couple of months later was selling for $225(I think) so I ended up buying 2, but really at $399 and 2 years warranty you cant go wrong.

TC

Re: Aldi Automatic Twin Boiler Espresso Machine $399 (16/7/11)

Its great that you have had a satisfactory run atropine.

Dunno if its just me, but I feel like I am reading an advertorial*though... :-/

Nevertheless, Id personally grab a teabag in preference to a superauto brew. Horses for courses I guess... ;)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 2D726A7C777C7079797A7A727E711F0 link=1307582584/1#1 date=1307583464
    Dunno if its just me, but I feel like I am reading an advertorial*
    I was thinking the same... far too many uses of the word "quality" in there!

But, I dont have anything against Aldi, and I might have a look out of interests sake... Thanks for the heads up atropine.

Andy did test one and stated it made a good coffee, after changing a few settings , would be great for office or work, where time is limited.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1283270347/all

Re: Aldi Automatic Twin Boiler Espresso Machine $399 (16/6/11)

Quote Originally Posted by 5B5E52565A5157083F0 link=1307582584/2#2 date=1307583954
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D726A7C777C7079797A7A727E711F0 link=1307582584/1#1 date=1307583464
    Dunno if its just me, but I feel like I am reading an advertorial*
    I was thinking the same... far too many uses of the word "quality" in there!

But, I dont have anything against Aldi, and I might have a look out of interests sake...* Thanks for the heads up atropine.
    I was having a bit of a joke because I was accused of being an Aldi salesman last time I spoke about this machine.

In all seriousnes though there are quality control issues. If you were interested Id buy one on Thursday, the day they are released so that if you have a dud you can return it quickly and hope you get a good one as a replacement. But if it sells like last time (badly) Aldi will have stock for many weeks & eventually slash the price to get rid of them, so in all probability you wont need to rush out, but you never know.

If you buy one, you should put grinder to 1 (fine) and put some brews through. If pucks are wet and crumble when expelled Id return it. Also check for leaks around pourer, as I recall someone had that problem.

If the quality is anything like this http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1230621062 Id be giving this machine a gigantic swerve. For that sort of money you could invest in equipment that make a decent coffee reliably, not fully automatic but thats probably a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 5F4F5E4D5C5C552C0 link=1307582584/5#5 date=1307598225
    If the quality is anything like this http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1230621062 Id be giving this machine a gigantic swerve. For that sort of money you could invest in equipment that make a decent coffee reliably, not fully automatic but thats probably a good thing.
    I tried one of those and did not like it , but i learnt about coffee snobs and what good coffee is, so something good did come out of purchasing it and then return. The 2 month return policy of ALDI allows you to try and see if it does the job for you or not. often I but things just to see if it will be useful, often return when i have no use or dont like.

For the price of the ALDI I think its good value, good if time is an issue and you want a quick coffee or have family member / work mate who just happy to press a button and drink good coffee ( I saying Good , not Great coffee)

My point isnt about the quality of the coffee, but the quality of the machine. If something performs for a year and then dies, wheres the value? Buying something cheap that gives you hassles and needs replacing isnt value, its just cheap.

Scrappy - I dont see anything wrong with cheap (one definition in my dictionary is worth more than its cost). This seems to be a different unit to the one you referred to and has a 2 year warranty, which gives some peace of mind.

I wouldnt buy one, but I am definitely not in their target market.