Thread: Breville ES800 Coffee machine and Breville BCG 450 Grinder for $379, Target.

Ari

Breville ES800 Coffee machine and Breville BCG 450 Grinder for $379, Target.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Long time drinker, first time poster.

Im new to coffee and am considering a new offer from Target for the Breville ES800 Coffee machine and Breville BCG 450 Grinder for $379, June 16 to June 22.

Is the 800 any good? And how long is the warranty on pumps? Still only 12 months.

Ive seen that there is a thread on adjusting the 450 grinder, this is a reasonable idea to make an entry level grinder workable?

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1204007644

I guess my question is whether this is a reasonable package for my first coffee machine? And with the warranty, is it 12 months on all items and do Breville pay postage for any warranty items or sending the machine back if pump fails etc.

Thanks muchly! :)

http://target.dynamiccatalogue.com.au/portal/offerdetails/breville-coffee-machine-and-grinder-offer/13074874847875?Ntk=Primary&Ntt=Coffee&source=searc h

Re: Breville ES800 Coffee machine and Breville BCG 450 Grinder for $379, Target.

Cant answer all your questions, but with the mod, the bcg450 can grind fine enough for espresso ( I started with one). Grind quality will not be as good as a more expensive model, but it is an acceptable start and can be resold when you upgrade.

If there is a similar package deal on a sunbeam 6910 with a grinder, that might be a better bet as they are considered a good combo and probably worth a bit extra, but if this is your budget you will likely be happy with this combo.

Hope that helps

Re: Breville ES800 Coffee machine and Breville BCG 450 Grinder for $379, Target.

Im in a similar position - looking to get a machine in that price range and interested in opinions on the various offers around at the moment.

1 - the above mentioned Breville ES800 + BCG450 for $379
    2 - the Breville BES860 (seen it for $650, apparently available for $600)
    3 - the Sunbeam EM5900 + EM450 grinder for $450-ish
    4 - The Sunbeam 6910 for $500. (would have to get a grinder - probably the EM450)

From lurking in the forums it seems the 6910 is pretty widely recommended, but as I dont drink any milk-based coffees do I really get any benefit from twin thermoblocks?

The BES860 appeals from a bench-space / convenience point of view, but Id be interested in opinions as to whether the grinder is up to the same quality as the separates from Breville and Sunbeam. Also - are the single-wall filters (unpressurised) that come with the BES860 available for the ES800? Any opinions as to the relative merits of the 860, 800 or 5900?

I am using a Breville BES860 with great results. The grinder was getting too coarse so I worked out how to modify it to get a good 25 sec pour, at no cost.

See my mod method at:

Reply 33 at: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1281927196

I still enjoy the quality of the coffee I am getting. However I am planning on upgrading to the new Breville Dual Boiler when it hits the deck.

Barry

Hey mate.
    Ive got a bes820 which is basically the same setup as the 800es with the 450 grinder and the breville unpressurised baskets. I think that for the money it is a good setup. I bought the machine refurbished for 290, the grinder for 65 and the single wall baskets for 30 (all in nz $$).

I have done 3 grinder mods on the 450 and it has gone from completely useless to ok. The 820 is a good machine for the price I paid for it and the single wall baskets from breville are definitely good value. The breville single wall baskets are definitely better than the krups/esp/4 ones or dual wall baskets that have had the bottom cut off.

I can make a cup of coffee that definitely exceeds most/all of the local cafes in terms of quality. The grinder is definitely the weak point however and I plan on replacing it with the new smart grinder asap. If you could con them into giving you the sunbeam grinder for not much more then it would be a win imo.