Thread: Shower screen holes

Shower screen holes

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey
    On my EM5900 the holes on the shower screen dont go right to the edge of the metal plate but has a 1cm solid ring round the edge (see photo). I didnt think this should be, esp cause I can see that the water seems to hit the coffee differently at the edges where the shower screen is solid after viewing the puck, and cause other screens Ive seen the holes go to the edge.
    Looked at an EM5900 display model in a store for curiosity, and its screen did have holes that went right to the edge! (see photo)
    Emailed the photos to Sunbeam to ask, they said it might be a specific design feature as mine is the most current series, but theyd check and let me know.
    Does anyone here have thoughts? Should the holes go all the way to the edge or does the solid 1cm ring have an purpose/advantage?

Re: Shower screen holes

Interesting. Mine is the first design, as is every EM5900 Ive owned (so far, 4).

There was a redesign after the first generation where the group handles were changed (spouts slightly further apart, spring moved highre) and the single basket was changed to a single + pod compatible basket.

Im very happy with the coffee I produce but itd be interesting to see if youd get a more consistent/longer pour from having holes over the entire puck. The water around the edge certainly gets wet, but doesnt have the indents obviously.

Cheers,
    Still waiting to hear back from Sunbeam, will let you know when (if) I do.
    Why have you had 4 5900s?

Now that I look at it again, it appears the design has been changed to accomodate ESE pods. If the holes were to the edge, a lot of water would flow around the pod.

First one worked fine for a few weeks, then the pump seemed to get loose or something and I couldnt get decent shots out of it anymore, or steam. I took it back and exchanged it. I got a new grinder too. The new grinder was heaps better as it ground at a higher setting giving me more control. The pump just died after about 2 days though and the machine made a horrible dying sound. I took it back and exchanged it. This one had a design defect in that the group handle was too tight for the basket, and the grinder would automatically engage if the clip was attached. I swapped it for my current machine (I think I kept the grinder from swap 2) and it has been going strong for the last few months.

Yeah that would make sense about the changing the design due to the pods. Now seen as I dont and never will use pods, if thats the reason I want the other shower screen!

Quote Originally Posted by 2A212D253330222521332C2539400 link=1308101061/5#5 date=1308173590
    Yeah that would make sense about the changing the design due to the pods. Now seen as I dont and never will use pods, if thats the reason I want the other shower screen!
    I wouldnt mind trying it, if you have any luck from Sunbeam let me know.

Sunbeam didnt get back to me, so I called them (who have pretty arrogant customer service by the way) and they said theyre sending me out the other shower screen that goes all the way.
    When I get it Ill post any differences I find!

So Sunbeam did send me the shower screen. It was used, but at least they sent it to me which I was happy about.
    Ill give an update of how/what, if anything, it changes in the cup.
    Should I expect it to make much/any difference?

any improvements jb?

Hey iggs,
    I think so, but its hard to tell. I am currently getting 19g of coffee into my basket, and still only really managing 40-45ml of espresso before the bean run out of coffee juice. I was hoping the new shower screen would improve this, but I hasnt appeared to.
    The water comes out of the group head more rapidly with the new screen, and more evenly from 2 streams at the sides of the screen rather than one scream at the back. My assumption is that this should be improving my shots slightly, but its hard to tell. The puck does get a more complete imprint on it as well.
    I reckon call Sunbeam and get them to send you one anyway, have a go and Id love to hear your impressions!