Thread: Breville 800ES unpressurised basket results

Breville 800ES unpressurised basket results

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I recently purchased an unpressurised basket through the Breville parts people to trial with my breville 800es.

I tested the basket using the breville smart grinder and also the older breville 450(?) grinder - both on their finest grind setting and with hard tamp pressure. I found that the shot poured through too fast and with poor/no creme. Same result with single and double baskets. Also used freshly roasted beans.

I think its because the grinder cant go fine enough or is it just the machine?

Can I try something else?

Re: Breville 800ES unpressurised basket results

Tamp harder? Dose higher?

The Breville 450 is renown for not grinding fine enough so better off using the Smart for your experiment me thinks (not heard this complaint leveled at the Smart, any owners want to chime in here?). Can you quantify the finest of the grinds from the Smart, compare it to something, post a photo, or get out a micrometer and measure the grinds ;) ?

If youre pretty sure the tamp pressure is truly hard that just leaves the dose (try filling the 2 shot basket right to the top, banging it a bit to settle the grinds and then topping it up a bit more, then tamp really hard). If that doesnt work its a bit of a mystery, blame the beans maybe?

Look for the mods you can make to these grinder to make them grind finer. A higher dose and harder tamp will have some impact, but I doubt it would fix the problem. A finer grind will though!

I saw that grinder mod in the past. I may give this a go. However my first step will be to confirm results on the smart grinder (this is actually my brothers).

Thanks for the tips.

I originally had a 450 grinder and modified it to once i bought an unpressurised basket. It produced a reasonable coffee with the 820es. I recently bought a smart grinder which produces a significantly finer grind. Capable of clogging.

There is also plenty of info about the initial smart grinders not grinding fine enough and shims can be obtained from breville. Even a youtube vid.

definitely try the smart! The unmodded 450 cant do much for an unpressurised basket. Even with the mod the output is a little inconsistent, IMHO.

We tried an unpressurised shot int he 800es with the finest grind from the smart grinder. It poored through too fast, no creme and tasted very bitter.

Sounds like this smart grinder may not be up to standard?

sounds like it need shim kit, easy fix, i have a smart grinder and its a later one no kit needed and grinds more than fine enough set about half way on espresso scale. will choke if i go to 3/4 espresso scale.

Shim kit request gone off to Breville Australia. The smart grinder was bought only a few months ago but could have easily been old stock.

Heres a good video of shim installation for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83Yq...feature=relmfu

I also saw a review of my 450 grinder from the same person. Looks like my grinder is suitable for pressurised baskets on entry level machines and not much else. Bummer!

So the shim kit has arrived from breville and have been installed into the smart grinder. We are getting better results with the shots. Thanks for the advice. Now I just need to upgrade my 450.