Thread: Anyone heard of Merol or Mezzoli or Cebo? SuperAuto Any good?

Anyone heard of Merol or Mezzoli or Cebo? SuperAuto Any good?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Was reading around trying to find a new coffee machine.

Getting tired of manually frothing milk and pouring my own shot etc. So to make it obvious I am compromising and want the convenience.

Was checking on productreview and this name came up.

The model seems to be a ME-710 and is IF im not mistaken sold under 2 brand names MEROL and MEZZOLI. Cebo has its own model. Merol/Mezzoli looks like the same unit whereas Cebo looks like its a different product.

Anyone have any experiences with them?

For $500 the features look impressive and the reviews on productreview appear positive....

Alternative is the citiz and milk or the latissma (yes yes I know pods evil I had a laugh).

Re: Anyone heard of Merol or Mezzoli or Cebo? SuperAuto Any good?

looks like you can get one for $337 if you look around

or about $250 if you follow a few "watching" and wait to pounce

if they are willing to sell them for $250 then "you get what you pay for".....

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 20323E23323E530 link=1308744635/0#0 date=1308744635
    Getting tired of manually frothing milk and pouring my own shot etc.
    Are you serious? This is a coffee snobs forum, we do whatever it takes to ge a great cup and love the ritual involved, thats what makes us snobs.

At the end of the day if convenience matters more than results then a superauto may very well be the right choice for you. We cant all be snobs!

I have not used the machine but from what I know its only available online through ebay a some other sites. I would ask the retailer clear guidelines on their return policy i.e. do they have a national repair network (unlikely) and does it need to get shipped back if there are issues under warranty? Who pays the shipping (usually the buyer)? Once under warranty is there anyone likely to be willing to work on it?

Perhaps you could consider less intensive brewing techniques? If you already own a grinder perhaps you could consider a pour over for an outlay of around $15?

Quote Originally Posted by 27262C3F21243E4D0 link=1308744635/2#2 date=1308746341

At the end of the day if convenience matters more

Well I was pedantic and a snob when it comes to my coffee too but I have just moved to another city, new job etc and I dont have the time honestly.

So right now Id like the best tasting compromise I can get. So its either nespresso pods or lavazza pods or an auto.

Id rather have drip coffee over instant crap I had a laugh

Please oh wise snobs or some that may have gone to the dark side do advise I had a laugh

I had a laugh sorry about the late night caters blend humor

with those autos you speak of i am really concerned it would be money down the drain (with the coffee) as i reckon the failure rate of them would be high based on the cost

what about french press, does not take long to boil the kettle grind the beans while it boils, brew it while you pour the cereal and bad-a-bing you got fresh coffee :)

good luck with the new job / city / life and finding a good coffee ;D

humour is good :) np

What do you guys think of drip coffee?
    ie would you say drip coffee tastes better than a long black?

Personally I find for a straight black, dripped coffee to taste nicer. Less bitterness id say.....

I understand your point Maheel. But quick search around shows that Merol is a mass chinese coffee machine producer and hence tons of it on ebay and some going pretty cheap.....Cant be worse than a pod unit considering its dual 19bar pump I had a laugh right? and for $250 or so not much to lose.

However Cebo seems like a "professional" korean coffee machine maker.

Both makers have models that are not available in oz most likely due to licensing and registration needs etc.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 263438253438550 link=1308744635/6#6 date=1308747808
    What do you guys think of drip coffee?
    ie would you say drip coffee tastes better than a long black?
    I guess its a little subjective...they are different but I enjoy both very much assuming quality beans, correct grind, etc.

guess everyone else is a sleep so hopefully more opinions later today I had a laugh

you may find that the cleaning of an auto milk frother is more trouble than just frothing your milk manually. You could always get a superauto for making your shot, and just heat the milk in the microwave. Not ideal but its easy and no hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by 6A6B61726C6973000 link=1308744635/2#2 date=1308746341
    Are you serious? This is a coffee snobs forum, we do whatever it takes to ge a great cup and love the ritual involved, thats what makes us snobs.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by 73616D70616D000 link=1308744635/4#4 date=1308747143
    Well I was pedantic and a snob when it comes to my coffee too but I have just moved to another city, new job etc and I dont have the time honestly.
    Yep, can relate to that. As you were/are a coffee snob to best answer is set your alarm clock earlier ;)

What part of the process is delaying you?

Quote Originally Posted by 636A743130000 link=1308744635/10#10 date=1308787413
    Yep, can relate to that. As you were/are a coffee snob to best answer is set your alarm clock earlier Wink

I can grind, pour and steam faster than it takes to boil the jug for the other halfs cup of tea.

How much time do you think you will be saving?

Quote Originally Posted by 1513040F15120A08610 link=1308744635/11#11 date=1308788657
    Quote Originally Posted by 636A743130000 link=1308744635/10#10 date=1308787413
    Yep, can relate to that. As you were/are a coffee snob to best answer is set your alarm clock earlier* Wink

I can grind, pour and steam faster than it takes to boil the jug for the other halfs cup of tea.

How much time do you think you will be saving?

Ditto to that... about a minute start to finish once the machine is warm :)

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1308840447/0#0][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

Hey sampam, the snobs must be out of browns, cause theyre a bit feisty lately ;)

I would like to offer two serious comments: firstly I havent seen a super-auto that is faster than a manual, excluding warm-up time, and once you factor in cleaning.* All super autos Ive used (ok, I shouldnt put it like that... all TWO super autos Ive used being the Jura and Delonghi) require fiddly cleaning of tiny bits and hard to reach nooks and crannies.* Especially the milk systems.

Secondly, if youre after speed, how about a plunger?* I feel like the room always goes silent when I mention plungers, but I find them easier (faster to make and easier to clean) than a stovetop, and with a good grinder and beans (the usual proviso) Ive made some tasty coffee.* No froth though.

Let me know what you think!

(edit - just realised where youve gone on the other post... ohwellz!)

I am sooo hesitant to admit this in this forum, but... I have one of these machines!!! Arrrggghhh!!!

Seriously though, Ive had a few coffee machines over the years and honestly, the coffee this thing produces is as good as the best Ive owned (a Saeco).

Theyre sold under a few different brand names; Merol, Corrado, Kogan and more.*

The machiine is manufactured in China (what isnt these days?), by a Chinese company - NON Site Sponsor commercial link removed - if you want to have a look.

Im more than happy with it - it cost $335 delivered to my door.

The only reservation I have is the build quality. Its pretty plasticky and the quality of the plastic doesnt feel that fabulous.

But hey, if it lasts a couple of years then Im happy, given the price.

Quote Originally Posted by 20323E23323E530 link=1308744636/4#4 date=1308747143

So right now Id like the best tasting compromise I can get.
    Actually its not. The best tasting (convenient) compromise you can get is a good cafe in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by 777F77707A7C1E0 link=1308744636/14#14 date=1309357858
    * All super autos Ive used (ok, I shouldnt put it like that... all TWO super autos Ive used being the Jura and Delonghi) require fiddly cleaning of tiny bits and hard to reach nooks and crannies.* Especially the milk systems.
    ohwellz!)
    I agree that the Jura and Delonghi require some fiddly cleaning. But in defense of the Delonghi, the one weve got in our office produces coffees consistently better than 80-90% of the coffee shops Ive been to.
    Ive tried out at least 80 in and near Melb CBD, and apart from the few exceptional places (Switchboard, Cup of Truth, and a few others), the Delonghi beats them all. Its just a matter of getting the right beans and the right grind.
    Of course, the Delonghi is a $3,000 machine, not a $300 machine like the Merol.
    Ill be able to answer the original question soon, as Ive just ordered a Merol machine for home. I guess that doesnt qualify me as a snob then, in spite of what my friends think.

Quote Originally Posted by 39373F22606568500 link=1308744636/17#17 date=1314760763
    the one weve got in our office produces coffees consistently better than 80-90% of the coffee shops Ive been to
    so your $3000 Delonghi or my $3000 Jura make great coffee, no arguements there.

The OP with his $500 budget though woulndt come close to my $500 manual, however that dosnt mean he wont be happy with it.

Id be interested to see how your Merol compares to the other supers youve used.

Ok, feedback time.
    The Merol machine arrived in about 4 days. Cost $349 brand new in box off ebay, including delivery and 1kg of Monte beans. Ive made about 20 coffees with it so far.
    I havent used the Monte beans yet, as I am a great fan of Di Bella (esp Modena blend).
    It is very plasticky, as Shenanigans has noted, but shouldnt get knocked around in my kitchen. It is simple to set up and operate.
    I noticed when researching that the brew unit is almost identical to the brew unit in the Saeco Royal that it is replacing at home. Several other features about it suggest it used the Saeco for inspiration.
    The coffee is at least as good as the old Saeco (possibly a bit better), but not as good as the Delonghi PrimaDonna at work.
    Produces ok crema, not brilliant. Temp, strength and quantity are very easy to set, and is able to produce a hotter coffee than any other superauto Ive used.
    Milk frother operates by a hose into the milk bottle, which makes it easy to switch between different types of milk to suit different people.
    Milk is waaaay too frothy, though. It gives about half a glass of froth, and I cant seem to reduce the frothiness. It is nice enough froth, although nowhere near as silky smooth as a good barista could produce. But it is impossible to do a flat white, or even latte because it is just too frothy. Hopefully Merol will be able to advise here.
    From what Ive seen online, Merol are very helpful with enquiries and warranty claims. They have several Youtube videos to help set up the machine, as well as replace some of the parts if necessary.
    To sum up, it produces better coffee than about 50% of the cafes around (not the 80+% of our work Delonghi). It is very well priced and easy to use. Whilst Id love to have a real machine on my bench, the reality is that I would only use it on weekends, so its hard to justify the expense.
    At the end of the day, there is no getting away from the fact that it is a cheap machine. But I think you get more than you pay for in this case.
    Id be happy to recommend the Merol ME-710 to anyone who wants to make a decent coffee (not perfect) on the way to work or when friends come around. Just be aware that snobs will look down their noses at you for it.

Just in case anyone is still interested, I thought I'd do a follow up feedback now we've had the Merol for around 18 months.
    It doesn't get a great deal of use, mostly a couple of coffees on a Sat morning, or several coffees when friends come around about once a fortnight.

It has performed well and given no problems. Coffee is consistently quite good, and friends regularly comment on how nice the coffee is. I still prefer Di Bella Modena, but have recently used some Late for the Train brand coffee that I brought back from Arizona. That was also very nice, but not available in Australia.

The grinder needs some fine tuning to get the best from the beans. There is only a small amount of adjustment available. The pump is not very powerful, so I can't set the grind quite as fine as I'd like to extract best flavour from the beans, but it is pretty close. If you set it too fine, it spits the dummy, and water tends to overflow inside the cabinet. Only a minor issue, and common to all of the machines of this type that I have used over the years, including some that cost over $3,000.

There tends to be a bit of spillage of ground coffee inside the machine that gets caught in a tray at the bottom, so this needs to be cleaned out regularly.
    The internal bin for the pucks is quite small, and needs to be emptied frequently if you are using it a lot. Again, both are only a minor issues.

There is a good range of adjustments to settings available, including strength, temperature, amount of pour, time of milk pour, water hardness, etc.
    Unfortunately, even at the highest temperature, the milk is only lukewarm. I find I need to warm the milk a little in the microwave to get it warm enough when it come out of the frother. This is my major criticism of the machine.

The issue of excessive frothiness that I referred to in the previous post turned out to be a bit of air leakage in the frother spout. When I pushed the spout back onto the steamer wand a bit more firmly, the problem was solved. Frothiness can be controlled quite easily, from flat white through to full cappuccino, with the small knob attached to the spout. The milk hose needs to be flushed out with clean water after use to prevent 'cheese' build up.

Our De Longhi machine at work recently went in for a service and some repairs, so I took the Merol into the office to replace it. The general consensus among the staff is that the Merol makes better coffee than the De Longhi (at 1/10th of the price!), smoother and better flavour. I've attached a couple of photos to show the finished coffee product the machine produces.

Bottom line: after 18 months, I'm still happy to recommend it to anyone who wants an inexpensive machine that produces quite good coffee. And it still makes better coffee than most of the cafes in my general area can make.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by igor058; 28th March 2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: photos didn't attach

Cebo is a much better deal than Merol

Hi I had a Merol 710 and now have a Cebo 50B. The Cebo is by far the better machine.

The MeroI
    The Merol lasted about 8 months until it finally broke. For the first 3 months I Ioved it and it does make a lovely brew (better than the no hoper barristas around Darling harbour where I live anyway). The problem is reliability, after about 3 months the electrics started to play up occasionally - this usually only required a reboot at first but gradually got worse.
    I brought the Merol online and sent it back to the outfit that sold it to me (in Melbourne) under warranty ... not too bad price wise but inconvenient because all it needed was a new circuit board but you can not buy them. The Melbourne outfit just cleaned the board and posted the same junk back to me, so I guess they can't buy spare parts either.
    The Merol broke again inside 2 weeks so I threw it out after 8 months. You can not buy spare parts for these machines and they do not last long in my experience. If you just want some nice coffee for a wedding or a 21st birthday then $300 for this machine might be the bomb...it's almost certain to last a couple of days and make great coffee before something goes wrong.

Cebo
    It's Korean, not Chinese, and built in a similar manner to Samsung and LG appliances. A bit like a Hyundai Excel car ... not too flashy but well designed and solidly made, does it's job, comes with a great warranty and has a great dealer .
    It's smaller in size than the Merol which suited my kitchen bench. The coffee making is similar quality to the Merol but this unit has now made 1700 cups over 30 months without a single drama! The Cebo cleans itself every time it is turned on and again every time it is turned off and has a wonderful water filter built into the unit ( the filter is similar to what you would find on a Brita water filter system). The unit is easy to dismantle and clean completly, it comes with a "key" which allows the high quality brewing unit to be moved easily when being cleaned. The circuit board is well placed and unlikely to be damaged by spilt coffee or hot water.
    ALL Spare parts are easily available online from cebocoffeemachine....I have brought water filters on two separate occassions with the units posted to my home within 4 days both times! Espresso and Cappuccino are both great....I prefer to spend my time chatting at the coffee table rather than being a hero "barrista" when my friends visit so a one button function suits me fine. I think it suits my mates fine too as four of them have now brought Cebos without a problem! $687 delivered is not a super cheap machine like the Merol but it is by far the best value in my opinion. Good luck with your purchase

Can anyone steer me into the correct direction to get spare parts for the Merol ME-710 please, thanks.

Contact Merol Australia, they should be able to help. I don't think they have any dedicated third party spares dealers.

If you need an internal electrical spare part that may be a problem, not sure if they would supply that to the consumer.