Thread: Breville 800ES naked/better portafilter options?

Breville 800ES naked/better portafilter options?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey there.. Im a newbie to the board..!

Ive got a bit of a question regarding about portafilters.

Ive got the Breville 800ES machine, and the Sunbeam EM0480 grinder. Ive done the mod to the grinder with the shims, and Im using the single floor filter basket. But whenever I take the filter out, I look at the plastic thing inside the and I cant help thinking that this cant be ideal..

Has anyone had any experience with modding these? Like, pulling the plastic bit out, or going the whole hog and converting them to naked? Or is there a better quality option out there?

Or does anyone know anyone selling pre modded naked units?

Thanks!

Re: Breville 800ES naked/better portafilter options?

the black plastic (if its the same as mine) just directs the coffee to the spouts - no big deal since it doesnt add pressure to the extraction, it just stops the pressurised pinhole from drilling a hole in your cup!

It does trap a bit of old coffee oils, not much though if you rinse it regularly.

I have a bottemless pf from a cheaper Breville but it doesnt fit as well.

If you drill out yours (not too hard) you wont be able to go back to the pressurised basket if you ever want to (resale, other users?)

You could post a "wanted" in the for sale section and see what turns up.

HTH!

Oh my God, I just removed the black plastic for the first time ever and found four or five years of old coffee muck sitting underneath it. Grossss. Thats just not right.

Im not particularly worried about resale value.. Ive had it for so long, its well and truly made its worth back..!

Think I might see if I can find a Breville spare parts dealer and get another handle to drill out first.. Ive got the limited edition red 800ES.. And itd be a shame to wreck the matching handle first go.. (ha..!).

So.. Anyone know any alternatives to the plain standard Breville group handles?

Try taking off the shower screen next and see whats stuck under there ;)

I dont think any other manufacturers group handles will fit - but there are plenty of Breville models that have the same size (I just dont know which ones!)

You could see if this gear has gone: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1312351487

looks like theres a handle in there waiting to be drilled!

cya

Oooh. Ill hit him up.

Man, popped into the breville warehouse.. That machine with the programable shot thing and in built grinder sure looks nice......

the 860? yeah it does look nice - on par with the Sunbeam I hear.

Make sure you send a PM, not just post on that page :)

oh snap.. Yeah i should try that.

Yeah I think thats what it was? There was a cool one with an inbuilt grinder as well.. Hmmm...

The model number question comes up a lot, so for the benefit of everyone...

800ES steam wand only, thermoblock
    BES820 steam and hot water wand, programmable timing, thermoblock
    BES860 "Fresca" includes built in grinder, thermoblock
    BES900 "Dual Boiler" no grinder, dual boiler, programmable everything

Hmmm, I have the identical setup to the OP! Tonight I removed the black plastic cover and trimmed it leaving only the portion that the screw goes into so I could plug up the screw hole.* I did the same with the old Sunbeam EM2300 PF.

The 2 PFs are quite different with respect to the base, the EM2300 has a curved base and directs the pour to the spouts, the 800ES is dead flat with a few ridges.

I wasnt keen on the gunk and grime under the cover when I first removed it...

its there for users of the blind filter - I guess its cheaper to build a plastic insert rather than press the pf into the right shape.

Quote Originally Posted by 424A42454F492B0 link=1314614080/9#9 date=1316656998
    its there for users of the blind filter - I guess its cheaper to build a plastic insert rather than press the pf into the right shape.
    I believe it is there for for people how dont warm there
    PF properly so it insulates the coffee from going cold on the way to the Cup.

They have even put it in the the New BES900 with its solid cast Stainless PF, and it is generally excepted by CSs that they should be pulled out as we should not be making coffee with a cold PF one of coffees 7 deadly sins.

(time for a new thread)

I agree with Espresso Doc.

I have removed the plastic "toolazytopreheatmyportafilter"-thingy from my Brev. Dual Boiler as have many other CS owners.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by 4F59054A0541055B4248404E5942454C2B0 link=1314614080/10#10 date=1316657499
    I believe it is there for for people how dont warm there PF properly so it insulates the coffee from going cold
    I would have thought that the metal basket contacting with the metal pf top and sides would cool down the water as it extracts the coffee, not the bottom of the pf which doesnt even touch the basket...

Also, cooling the coffee post extraction wont change the flavour as much (if any?) as a cold extraction.

If you try extracting with the pressurised basked without the insert, youll get a single spurt of coffee out the centre, so this is definitely one use for it, there may be others...

OH MY WORD. I sourced another handle (thanks for the tipoff!!) and just had the middle cut out with a holesaw by a lovely bloke who happened to be round the corner, and has an oldschool metalwork/blacksmith shop..

I CANNOT BELIEVE how much better it tastes. It was already fairly passable with the single floor basket, but now it just tastes so much better.. Im not really versed with the proper terminology, but the words that come to mind are that the crema is creamier, the taste of the espresso is much more open (?).. I feel that the flavour just seems to bloom a bit more in my mouth.

So stoked.

So far, the coffee seems to be pouring correctly, as in as much that its pouring in one single stream, from the middle of the filter, but it seems to be having the odd spurts and is a little messy.. Is this normal? My second attempt, I coarsened the grind and tamped a bit harder, and this seemed to help with the messiness.. But just not sure if a bit of mess is normal after the removal of the spouts?

Feeling like this is about as far as I can take this little machine, and to be honest, Im pretty bloody pleased with it!!

Thank you oh illuminati of coffee wisdom!

-kris

Quote Originally Posted by 656D6562686E0C0 link=1314614080/12#12 date=1316663729
    Quote Originally Posted by 4F59054A0541055B4248404E5942454C2B0 link=1314614080/10#10 date=1316657499
    I believe it is there for for people how dont warm there PF properly so it insulates the coffee from going cold
    I would have thought that the metal basket contacting with the metal pf top and sides would cool down the water as it extracts the coffee, not the bottom of the pf which doesnt even touch the basket...

Also, cooling the coffee post extraction wont change the flavour as much (if any?) as a cold extraction.

If you try extracting with the pressurised basked without the insert, youll get a single spurt of coffee out the centre, so this is definitely one use for it, there may be others...
    The cooling effect is indeed post extraction and Guru Phil himself told me that is why they are there and how to pull it out.

And to be honest if you are using a pressurised basket you dont care about espresso as you are not getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by 283322362F30262D430 link=1314614080/2#2 date=1314633023
    I just removed the black plastic for the first time ever and found four or five years of old coffee muck sitting underneath it. Grossss. Thats just not right.
    Hi all,
    just wondering is there any tips for getting the black plastic off the PF? Ive unscrewed it, but it still seems very stuck.

Thanks heaps in advance

Probably stuck with muck. Maybe push it out from underneath with a pen or screwdriver?

Thanks iaindb for the tip. I tried from the top with no luck but it was easy from the bottom. Cheers.

Was hoping to be able to not use the plastic bit, but looks like I need too :(

Oh well, will just have to take it out often to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by 3F2435213827313A540 link=1314614080/13#13 date=1316668825
    OH MY WORD. I sourced another handle (thanks for the tipoff!!) and just had the middle cut out with a holesaw by a lovely bloke who happened to be round the corner, and has an oldschool metalwork/blacksmith shop..

I CANNOT BELIEVE* how much better it tastes. It was already fairly passable with the single floor basket, but now it just tastes so much better.. Im not really versed with the proper terminology, but the words that come to mind are that the crema is creamier, the taste of the espresso is much more open (?).. I feel that the flavour just seems to bloom a bit more in my mouth.

So stoked.

So far, the coffee seems to be pouring correctly, as in as much that its pouring in one single stream, from the middle of the filter, but it seems to be having the odd spurts and is a little messy.. Is this normal? My second attempt, I coarsened the grind and tamped a bit harder, and this seemed to help with the messiness.. But just not sure if a bit of mess is normal after the removal of the spouts?

Feeling like this is about as far as I can take this little machine, and to be honest, Im pretty bloody pleased with it!!

Thank you oh illuminati of coffee wisdom!

-kris

I can relate to that feeling :)

I think what you are referring to (i.e. the spurting) is due to channelling. I found I got it a fair bit early on (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1321165468/0), especially towards the end of the pour as it speeds up. They are much better now Ive improved my tamping and dosing, and am using a finer grind.

Perhaps try a firmer tamp, and dosing up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by 42435F49280 link=1314614080/17#17 date=1325406923
    Was hoping to be able to not use the plastic bit, but looks like I need too Sad
    because of the screw hole left behind when taking it out? Well, you now have a triple-spout pf :D MrBill above cut down the plastic insert just leaving the bit around the screw hole to plug it up - you could try that.

Yep, I removed the insert, trimmed it severely leaving just the bit that the screw goes into. I did the same with my previous Sunbeam EM2300 PF.

Thanks MrBill. Is there any chance you could show me a photo please? And has it helped with the pour?

Ill take a photo this evening and post it back here.* In terms of helping the pour, it hasnt, in fact, its probably not as smooth.* The base of the 800ES PF without the cover is flat and ridged which is not conducive to the flow of fluid.*

The previous Sunbeam alluminium PF from the base model EM2300 had a concave base which allowed the espresso to flow more smoothly to the spouts.

The plastic base is in place for those people who dont warm up their machines and extract to a cold/barely warm PF, the black plastic is there (well, this is what I understand its for) to reduce too much temperture loss to the espresso.

The main reason I removed the plastic base was because I wasnt too keen on the accumulated grime beneath the base (as iandb has said, you could just leave it and clean regularly).* I also always warm up my machine for 20-30 mins before use with the PF in place, flush then dry the PF before grinding directly into.

Heres a YouTube link to an 800ESXL (US model) with a naked PF;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOHPx_xB9o

Here is my modified 800ES PF sans black plastic base apart from the small central section to plug up screw hole. Note how flat the base of the PF is, not ideal for the flow of fluid.

Much neater than mine. Ive got voids in the bottom surface due to casting defects.

Quote Originally Posted by 584740584A2F0 link=1314614080/23#23 date=1325889165
    Here is my modified 800ES PF sans black plastic base apart from the small central section to plug up screw hole. Note how flat the base of the PF is, not ideal for the flow of fluid.
    I took the plastic bit out of my 800ES basket pretty early on, just because I didnt like the idea of plastic. I only ever pour single shots (from the unpressurised larger basket) so I dont need the two spouts.

Most of my pour now comes out the centre hole, with some over flow to the other holes.

I felt the difference for me was mainly pschological, but Its awesome it seems to have made a big difference to your pour Mr Bill.

Naked is best though :)

Here is a video of mine when I first did it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQs10glDFks[/media]

Getting some really good pours now Ive got a proper fitting tamper.

Quote Originally Posted by 457A42696B63080 link=1314614080/26#26 date=1325918336
    Naked is best though Smiley

Here is a video of mine when I first did it.

Oooh, nice.

What is the forum policy on nudity!?

Maybe I could ask the father in law to do a number on my portafilter...

Thank MrBill for the photo.

But now Im getting tempted to use a naked pf instead.

Just need to source another pf, as I still need a pf that will split so I can make 2 shots at once.

Any tips of where I can source a pf cheaply??

Mine was about $40 from memory, from a Breville repair outlet. Its from an ESP8 machine I think. Its made from cast aluminium, so whilst not as pretty as the stock one (Ive got a BES820) its easy to cut out with a 50mm holesaw and a cordless drill... Not super neat though. Need to hit mine with some emery paper.

Hmmm... I just realised I could probably hit it with some Autosol...

Thanks for the tips MrJack. Managed to source a pf and looking forward to converting it. ;D

Good luck. :)

I find I need to updose with the coffee and tamp quite firmly to slow the pour. Occasionally I overdo it and break the seal between the portafilter and the machine, but most of the shots come out really quite nice. Getting the hang of it now.

Just converted a ikon pf and it worked really well. Thanks for your advice MrJack, it definitely helped for my first shot today. Im looking forward to practicing more and enjoying the new flavours.