Thread: EM 4800 Sunbeam starting to play up. help please :)

EM 4800 Sunbeam starting to play up. help please :)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi fellow CS’ers

Looks like my Sunbeam 4800 has served us well for the last 1-2 years, I’ve looked after it and replaced the seals regularly, but now it’s leaking like a spluttering sieve.

The machine builds up pressure and the portafilter lets it go out the seal, between the seal face and PF I think. I can visually see the PF handle move down when the pressure comes on (normal or not?). The only way I can get a shot out is to get the dial between on and off so I get the ‘putt-putt’ action from the pump (like it uses for the steam side).

I’ve put two new seals in the last month just to make sure the seal wasn’t suspect, and they don’t have any nicks or tears in them. What is next on the list to replace (apart from the whole machine [ch61514])… I’m seriously considering a Miss Silvia or De’Lite or whatever they are called. Sunbeam support is non-existant in WA, there’s one place left who last time I went there had 200+ machines on the floor with repair tags on them!

It seems to me the PF is no longer held properly against the group head, sometimes I can rotate the handle all the way with a new seal in, and the second shot the seal gives a bit more resistance.

Re: EM 4800 Sunbeam starting to play up. help please :)

Hi!

I dont own one but Ive seen the question often enough - sounds like a warn collar. Searching google for "sunbeam leaking group" gives a better indication of whats going on, then I searched for "sunbeam group head spacer" and came up with these:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1224547450
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1255934657
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1229919561
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1182147203

some light reading for you ;)

Thanks, I did search and only found talk about seal replacements... I guess Ill have to go to the one Sunbeam agent left in WA and buy the part, and have a go myself...
    Unless anyone here is a reseller? PM me...

Thanks UROCOFFEE....

Thanks for the links above, but they mosly deall with the model above mine, with the bigger blue seals and readily avaiable spacers.
    Ive put a new collar and new seall in, and its just as bad as before... I can roate the handle all the way to the stop without much resistance.* Can I get spacers for this model? Ive tried using twine to space the basket further from the PF, but that only works before the pressure comes on and moves the PF creating spurting water and coffee.
    Where has the extra gap come from? The PF/basket?
    Im almost sold on a better machine, but it would still be nice to get this one working again so I can give it away or something.* Im seriously considering the Lusso lever.* Those who have owned one for a while, how long did the seals last and have you seen similar problems to the above?

Wonder if the brew head lock is worn out?
    These pics were taken from a seller on that auctiuon site.

I cant tell if its worn from those pics.
    Can you post pics of the seal?

Those pics are of a new brew head lock from a seller on that auction site, I copied them and uploaded to show the OP, sorry for creating any confusion.

It seems that in the lower end Brevilles and Sunbeams they are made from a hard plastic and are going wear out eventually, especially with overtightening the PF.

Thanks Bill.
    Nice to know my eyes arent as bad as I thought.

Im interested in seeing the seal in case I can help in recommending a spacer.

Hi. The new collar is fitted. Photo is of the new seal and old collar, which isnt really worn. I really need a spacer for the seal I think. This seal is common accross the breville, ]krups and sunbeam ( or so Im told).
    Oh. Painful. Android and ios wont allow me to attach a photo. Best fire up the lumbering beast.
    On an exciting note, we got a Lusso lever, not delivered yet... very exciting. I can see coffee consumption increasing in no time at all... :D :D :D

Hmm, Old collar doesnt look worn at all, curious, I wonder if the portafilter wears down quicker then the collar

though, didnt the 4800 have the chrome plated brass portafilter? that would make it a little more resistant to wear compared to the lower-end machine aluminum jobbies

Still, Its curious as what caused the lack of seal? perhaps the shower screen has been pushed up by too much pressure applied? I dunno, Im only guessing here. Need more coffee

Anyway, Congrats on the Lusso! Im sure itd be a fine addition to your addiction

Hmmm, it looks ok to me too, anyway, its given you a good reason to upgrade.

Time to cut your losses but curiosity would get the better of me too and Id want to know why its failed despite replacing everything apart from the PF. Bloody machines!

My 3 year old (now retired) EM2300 with the cheapo alluminium PF has had no problems despite being used everyday. Original seals and lock too.

Need to see the other side of the seal. Anyway....if the other side is completely flat you can cut a spacer out of thin cardboard. Make a ring the same size as the seal. (Like a big O)

Yes, I’m very excited about the new machine, but not so excited about the burning smell now emanating from my pocket… oh well.
    I guess I could have bent the shower screen up through overdosing, but that shouldn’t be affecting the seal. The shower screen does fit into the seal and push it into the group head. Perhaps a new shower screen would be the thing to try.
    Thundergod, I’ll give your idea a try, the seal is not flat at the group head end, it actually fits into a recess and has a curve about it. I still think a home-made gasket could work. I may even be able to get some Sepco fibre to make them from.

Well the crude gasket made things tolerable again. Seeing as I wrote the machine off in my head, I really cranked the screws that hold the collor against the group head, and I think that has gone some way to fixing the problem. Id say my regular diet of overdosing the PF has taken its toll on the screws and threads in the group head , plus there is some corrosion going on in those threads. Im going to disassemble it again when the new machine arrives and treat the thread and screws.
    Bottom line, if you can see the PF handle moving when the pressure comes on, the screws need tightening, or theyve been streached.

perhaps use some loctite on the screws? Not the Permanent stuff but the removable ones - it might help the screws from working loose?