Thread: Anyone have experience with the Breville BES820?

Anyone have experience with the Breville BES820?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    We are considering this machine as it combines some auto features for my wife and is still manual enough for me to make potentially great coffee. We can also get this machine for a great price on a once off deal.

Im interested in thoughts, experiences and opinions on this one.

Re: Anyone have experience with the Breville BES820?

Use the search

use the smurf?

Quote Originally Posted by 565D5746415C330 link=1315571001/2#2 date=1315575751
    use the smurf?
    Thanks for the response, most of the search results are from 2-3 years ago. I might be a newb here, but I am an internet and Forum "been there for a freaking long time" and digging up old threads (Ive read the ones I need to) isnt the accepted norm.

So shall I start another thread?

Those that will: post away.

Sorry my first post a pit more blunt than usual, but using the search function I am able to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by 404B4150574A250 link=1315571001/0#0 date=1315571001
    We are considering this machine as it combines some auto features for my wife and is still manual enough for me to make potentially great coffee. We can also get this machine for a great price on a once off deal.

Im interested in thoughts, experiences and opinions on this one.
    1) it is a single termoblock machine and as such has its limitions on quality and speed

2)Unsure what you mean by "auto features for my wife and is still manual enough for me to make potentially great coffee" as is a very automated process. I think the only thing you have control of (on the machine) is the extraction length. The other (more important) variables are the grind, dose and tamp which the machine has nothing to do with and will remain for the wife

3) You could make good coffee with this machine provided paired with an adequate grinder (BCG800 springs to mind, but the EM450 min)

4)For the price (RRP not "once off deal") there are single boilers that will make better coffee for much longer, but wont seem quite as automatic.

5)Most people seem to think its worth paying the bit extra for the sunbeam em6910 twin thermoblock in this class

6)Take a look at the for sale part of the site as lots of this class and better have been coming up owing to the recent release of the BES900, I think there is an em6910 with a rocky grinder and a gaggia classic on there at the moment.

I think most of the lower model Breville and Sunbeam domestic machines use a 51mm portfilter with the black plastic insert designed to insulate the espresso as its being extracted. Some are made of chrome plated alluminum, others, chrome plated brass.* I pulled the insert out of my EM2300 PF and found 2 years of accummulated muck which I promptly cleaned and did not put back in. I make sure the PF is warmed up before using.

To block up the hole, I snipped off the part of the insert that the screw secures to and used it as a plastic nut,* I didnt overtighten and it seems to have worked as Im getting no leaks through the central hole.

I use a non pressurised Krups basket with this cheapo unit.* I just bought a used 800ES for $100, havent received it yet but hope the Krups basket fits.

Ive had an 820 for a couple of years - I would have preferred the sunbeam had I known back then, or the BES860 (but it wasnt out). I had upgraditis pretty soon and now I have a Giotto.

The 820 has no OPV and it is hard to get the right pressure spot, but I also have the (modified) BCG50, not the nicer smart grinder. I also have a Gino Rossi which is much better for this machine, a naked pf, single wall basket - krups and Breville. Personally I find the krups basket holes too big and they let some fines through into the cup.

Its not a great machine, but its not bad. Steaming is slow, no problem with getting "cream" but it cant do oodles of foam for the kids cause it gets too hot. IMHO you could get the same performance out of its smaller brother (800?). I make better coffee than most people have drunk, but I also use nothing but fresh beans, freshly groundly, properly stored, and Im not perfect but I know a couple of tricks about making coffee ;)

hope that helps!

What iaindb said. there are better machines out there for the money, especially for the outrageous rrp