Thread: Time for my first upgrade

Time for my first upgrade

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Well my Ristretto EM2300 blew its seals the other month, and Im campaigning with the wife to upgrade it.

Models Im considering are:

Sunbeam EM5900
    Saeco Via Venezia
    Rancilio Silvia

I already have an EMO480 grinder and its been working perfectly, so Ill hang onto it for the time being.

The Ranci no question right? Its a bucketload more expensive than the others though.....which wifey is finding hard to accept. I like the look of the EM5900 which many say is a baby EM6910, the Saeco Ive only heard good things about but never actually used one.

Opinions? Between the Sunbeam and the Saeco, which would be the better buy.

Cheers
    Ian

Re: Time for my first upgrade

Actually... Silvias not an option. Too fussy on the input - youd need to upgrade the grinder as well.

Consider a Lelit or a 6910 even if second hand. Or maybe a Gaggia Classic.

You wont find much love for machines at price points below the above. Heaps of 6910s and Classics come up for sale in as new condition on CS.

Quote Originally Posted by 67515E4462515E53595C595F0100300 link=1318847035/1#1 date=1318847769
    Actually... Silvias not an option. Too fussy on the input - youd need to upgrade the grinder as well.

Consider a Lelit or a 6910 even if second hand. Or maybe a Gaggia Classic.

You wont find much love for machines at price points below the above. Heaps of 6910s and Classics come up for sale in as new condition on CS.
    Agree on the Silvia comment. Mind you, be carefully with the Gaggia classic. It was my first machine and I love them, but the boiler in them does tend to go after a while, even if it seems in perfect condition on the outside.

I wouldnt touch one older than 3 years.

RIP EM2300, I had one of these too paired with a EM0480 grinder.* I have retired, more correctly relocated mine to work (it still works fine), and upgraded (?) or stepped sideways to a single thermoblock Breville 800ES and replaced the grinder with the Breville BCG800 (Smartgrinder). I just sold the 0480 yesterday. It takes time to get used to a new machine and grinder....

I have used a Sunbeam EM6910 and a EM5600 and found both to be good machines to use, especially the 6910.*

The 6910 has a 58mm portafilter (so youd need a new tamper although it comes with one) and I found there was a huge difference in the steaming capacity between the 2 machines which is what youd expect.* Being able to extract and steam at the same time means you can knock out many more flat whites during a dinner party than the 2300 could ever hope to.

The 6910 paired with your grinder with the single wall baskets would be a nice upgrade, especially, as others have said, if you could find a well looked after one that could be picked up locally, youd be set.* I reckon thered be a few on the market now since the owners may be upgrading to the Breville Dual Boiler.

The 6910 would take up a lot more bench sapce than the 2300 and be MUCH heavier to move.

Also, have you looked at replacing the seals?

Yeah, definitely leaning more towards a 6910 even if they take up more bench space.*

58mm is almost the same sized group as the Rancilio, am I correct? Ive used a 6910 before and it felt great, plenty of power.* And the fact the newer models also accept pods is nice - for those who prefer an easy life (ie my wife).

No one has chimed in about the Saeco yet?

Id consider replacing the seals on the 2300 for a backup machine, but still want something a class above :)

Cheers
    Ian

A parallel thread states the VV espresso is just average, but better than the cheaper thermoblock machines, and the boiler is so small it struggles to spin a small jug of milk.

When you go from the little black plastic EM2300 (which feels and weighs as much as a little toy) to a EM6910, youll feel like a pro (even though your first shot will probably be not the best...).

When I was looking to upgrade, there were zero pre-loved 6910s in Tas and I happened to see the Breville 800ES locally for $100 so snapped it up.* The Grinder came from a fellow CSer in Hobart.* My upgrade didnt cost a lot, all up $190.00 after selling the EM0480.

The seal replacement should be easy if you can get the shower screen screw out, my screw is very tight but my seal is still in fair condition.

Well Ive settled on a brand new Sunny 6910 :)* Every retailer is prepared to price match, so I got a fairly decent price in the end.* $649

Happy like a pig in its own mess, just have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up.

I also had a very good look at a Saeco V-V, and the steam wand is twig thin! Not sure how one can get decent pressure from it... :-?

Seattle Coffee Gear have just posted a new Youtube video comparing the Saeco Aroma to the Saeco Via Venzia. In the background is the BES900 which makes these little machines look like toys.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SeattleCoffeeGear?blend=5&ob=4