Thread: Changing filter basket to a unpressurised one. Help.

Changing filter basket to a unpressurised one. Help.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight

Hi guys,

I want to change my filter basket of my machine to a unpressurized one. I have a Russell Hobbs espresso machine which is similar to a Sunbeam EM3600/EM3800. I am told it uses 51mm size filter baskets.

Firstly,can someone tell me how the size of the filter basket is measured since i am confused? :-/

I have tried calling Russell Hobbs head office for a unpressurized basket but they dont seem to know what Im talking about. >:(

I would really appreciate it if someone have done this upgrade before and could give me the model number. ::)

Thanks in advance. ;D

Re: Changing filter basket to a unpressurised one. Help.

Quote Originally Posted by 7E716A667E7B7E691F0 link=1319020706/0#0 date=1319020706
    Firstly,can someone tell me how the size of the filter basket is measured since i am confused? Undecided
    The 51mm measurement is the diameter of the basket.

Usually the diameter of the inside, which could vary slightly. You could try removing the false floor if there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by 5E514A465E5B5E493F0 link=1319020706/0#0 date=1319020706
    they dont seem to know what Im talking about.
    I am not surprised at all...
    When I was purchasing my setup at a non sponser, thought I would double check with the saleswoman since it was supposed to come with a single and double cup filter basket in both the double and single walled types. She didnt know the difference, neither did she know the product she was selling and had to go open a box to check for me at my insisting, after telling me she was 100 % sure I was wrong. Boy was she sheepish when she came back...
    >:(

Hi anu,
    I recall your machine looks identical to the EM3600/3800 Sunbeam series apart from the branding.* This series and EM2300, EM4800, EM5600 and EM5900 all accept a 51mm basket.* I bought my single wall double shot basket from [s]site sponsor[/s] URO Coffee.* The link to the part I purchased follows;
    Commercial link to non-site sponsor removed

I guess you could email the company to see if theyd send it to you in South Africa, itd only be a small package.

This basket fits into the PF for my EM2300, EM5600 and also my new (used) Breville 800ES.* Im getting quite good results when paired with a Breville Smart Grinder.* The puck comes out nice and dry.* Im having some issues dialling in the new grinder as it replaced a Sunbeam EM0480 but this morning I reckon I nailed it!

Thanks guys for all the comments.
    So i guess my machine uses a 51 mm filter basket. But i still have had no luck sourcing one. I guess its not a off-the-shelf item so no use looking in the local shops here.

If someone have the model number of the non-pressurized filter basket then please let me know. I can call the relevant company up and ask them then.

Also can someone tell me how to find the advanced function search on this site, seems to have misplaced it since last time i used it. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 7E716A667E7B7E691F0 link=1319020706/5#5 date=1319201808
    Also can someone tell me how to find the advanced function search on this site, seems to have misplaced it since last time i used it.
    It was removed quite some time ago.

Java "Buttonless" phile

Java "Buttonless" phile[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by 59564D41595C594E380 link=1319020706/5#5 date=1319201808
    Thanks guys for all the comments.
    So i guess my machine uses a 51 mm filter basket. But i still have had no luck sourcing one. I guess its not a off-the-shelf item so no use looking in the local shops here.

If someone have the model number of the non-pressurized filter basket then please let me know. I can call the relevant company up and ask them then.

Also can someone tell me how to find the advanced function search on this site, seems to have misplaced it since last time i used it. ;D
    Apparently the Krupps filter basket (catalogue #0907163) is a good fit for your machine, Failing that, theres also a version available from breville that you may be able to get someone to purchase and send to you

if all else fails, Dremil the bottom wall of the filter off.