Thread: Help with PF!

Help with PF!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi
    Hope im in the right section.
    I recently bought a 2nd hand Breville 800 series (entry level) and have been having trouble with water left behind in the PF after pouring a shot! Can anyone help with some advise please?

Re: Help with PF!

Water left in the portafilter you say? could just be evidence that your basket is one of the dual wall pressurised types

Sad to say, that even with the unpressurised baskets, Because the breville (and sunbeam) lower end models dont have 3 way valves, Theres almost always going to be soupy pucks and water left in the portafilter after espressing the espresso...

The only solution Ive found is to let the puck sit for five minutes before dumping it into the bangbucket. Mind you, thats with an unpressurised basket, pressurised baskets are worse, you have to wait another 10 minutes for the water to disperse

Hope this explains what is going on?

Thanks for the help, I noticed today that after one brew it was completely normal and the one before was full same as before. Very odd.

As a fellow 800ES owner, I seldom get soupy, wet pucks with the single wall double shot baskets.* When I used the dual wall baskets with my Sunbeam EM2300, the pucks were consistently wet and mushy unless you let the puck dry out for ages.

If you increase your dose so that the tamped level is just touching the shower screen, you may reduce/eliminate the amount of retained water on top of the puck.

Tamp pressure and grind size is not overly important with the dual wall baskets as the pressure is mostly controlled by the basket.* With the single wall however, its vitally important as this is what creates the pressure.

Great advise, I will try filling the D/shot a little more and see what happens. I may also be tamping a bit too much creating a situation that the last bit of water can not be releast through the ground coffee?