Thread: which 2nd hand Breville?

which 2nd hand Breville?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Im looking at a very low cost, short term upgrade and have found Breville Ikons and Breville es800s that are both sub $100.
    Im not necessarily pro Breville or anti other brands but I think these two are both good for what I want to achieve short term.
    My question is:
    If my wife and I are big latte drinkers should I get an Ikon for the boiler and thus (hopefully) more/better steam or the es800 because it appears to be a slightly higher level machine all round (if my info/assumptions are correct)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Cheers!
    Jono.

Re: which 2nd hand Breville?

Forgot to mention, I already have NP baskets from a Bar Italia/esp4 that I can put in these which is another reason why Ive looked at Brevilles.

Anyone? Also curious if anyone has any knowledge/experience with the Gaggia Evolution. I know the Classic has a good rep but is the Evolution, being a noticably lower price bracket, much lower in quality?

Any opinions, suggestions, advice hearsay, scuttlebutt are really, really appreciated!!
    Cheers!
    Jono.

Never used an Ikon or Gaggia. I had an 820ES then a Giotto. The 820 was good for a start, however needed proper flat-walled single-floored baskets and a good grinder. IMHO the BCG450 didnt cut it, even modified.

What Im saying is make sure you have at least the smart grinder, maybe even try it with your current machine and then you wont need the short-term upgrade? Save your pennies for when you get that Silvia or VBM... Just a thought...

Go for the Ikon, Ive used both machines. The 800 looks nice on the outside but its still a thermoblock machine and performs similar to a Roma

Thanks FB.
    Only problem is Ive now also found a 2nd hand Gaggia Evolution for the same price. Any ideas on which is better out of the ikon and the evolution? Im searching all I can but if anyone knows it would really help me out.

Cheers!
    Jono.

Id grab the Gagia, Havent used it but reviews are generally positive and the 58mm baskets are a nice option, there are aftermarket options like a longer steam wand too.

YouTube is a good place to check the machines real world performance also, obviously limited to the capability of the person making the video but its a good estimate.

Thanks again FB!
    From what I can gather off the Gaggia site, the main differences between the Evolution and the classic are plastic exterior instead of stainless, smaller reservoir and no 3 way valve which I didnt expect in such a low price bracket anyway.

Cheers!
    Jono.