Thread: What to look out for when buying 2nd hand Gaggia? help!

What to look out for when buying 2nd hand Gaggia? help!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi coffeepros, I am a newbie here. I saw someone selling a 3yrs old gaggia classic for $250. Seller said that machine has been descaled. I would like to ask your opinions whether this is a good price and what are the things I should look out for when I go test it. Thank you!

Re: What to look out for when buying 2nd hand Gaggia? help!

When / how was it descaled?

Look out for internal leaks - look for green or white marks around fittings and boiler, or water marks in the bottom of the inside.

Try the water and steam and see how it looks. Empty the boiler (as much as you can) into a cup (being careful how you do this so you dont damage the machine) and let it cool. Smell it and taste it. Maybe even swish the machine around first and then do this.

Look for evidence of a water filter (where is the machine? Most big cities have very hard water - FNQ and NT are better). If filtered water hasnt been used, then its probably in a scaly state. Do Gaggias have a pressure gauge? If so, see how quickly it moves from cold - hot or back.

Look up part costs online and be prepared to get bits fixed. Are you happy with doing that yourself? If not, it will cost you more.

Hopefully a Gaggia owner will give you specifics to look for :) I have no idea of the cost.

Also a noob, but I do know the gaggia classic a bit.

They are really good reliable machines and can last a lifetime as parts are readily available.

Check it heats up and pumps water freely without the handle in the group head - the shower screen can get choked up if not kept clean.
    Switch the steam switch on and listen carefully - if there are leaks from the boiler you are most likely to hear them when steam pressure builds up.

Check for leaks from the steam wand.

If there is a blind filter, use that and check that the over pressure valve is operating - you can hear water trickle back into the tank when it does - the valve can get stuck in older machines.
    You can also check that the group seal is good at this point. Leaks around the filter handle would suggest it needs replaced - cheap and easy to do, but you could ask for a lower price.

After pulling a shot, a small amount of water should be discharged down the steel pipe to the rear left of the drip tray. This confirms the three way solenoid valve is working.

Even if you run these machines with a dry boiler, they dont damage the element. Like I said they are reliable. It may be the only machine you ever need - depends how many coffees you need to make at a time.

Compare prices on auction sites, that should give you an idea, but $250 doesnt sound unreasonable.

thanks guys!