Thread: Breville 800ES: pump stops working after a few secs of providing coffee

Breville 800ES: pump stops working after a few secs of providing coffee

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I love my Breville 800 ES, but recently it stopped giving me coffee after 5 secs. Anyone some ideas around the cause?

Symptoms: It heats up properly and then when I turn the knob it gives coffee, but after 2-10 seconds the pump stops working. The STEAM light then blinks momentarily and then stays solid on. Turning the knob is not doing anything. Turning the machine off and on is the only –temporary- solution.

I have established that if I turn the knob to get coffee BEFORE its fully heated (i.e. the right button with the word STEAM is not yet lighted) it runs fine. It’s only when its fully heated that the problem occurs.

Any clues? Thanks in advance!

Re: Breville 800ES: pump stops working after a few secs of providing coffee

Could be built-in overheat protection activating or failing. Try calling a rep and see if its a common problem, may just need a new pump.

martaroony

Hi Jeroen,* How did you end up with this problem* ??

I have the exact same problem , and have had a bit of a stouch with Breville over it . Its out of warrenty by months , and they dont want to know about it , so I told them I thought it was the Pump as I new the pump has a 5 year warrenty , as apposed to the 2 year on the machine.
    The repair agent here on the Gold Coast has rung me back with a diagnosis of a fried PC Board,* So, as you can guess Breville wants nothing to do with it.* Athough the problem was there into the second year of its warranty, However, I wasent aware that it was a problem then, Until It got worse. to the point where It would only express a centemetre or two into a cup.

So,* thus my question , how did you get on.

This seems to be a bigger problem than we first thought , as the repair agent* told me that it happens quiet a bit due to the machine getting to hot.

My thoughts are , that if you or anyone else seems to be having this same problem that we buy the new PC boards in Bulk and fix the dame things our self , as the agent has quoted me $150 to fix it, :-/* And last time a service man told me this on another appliance the part turned out to be $12. >:(

So you can understand my apprehension. :-?

If anyone could shed some light on this Fix that would be great.* Even just a PC Board number so that I can look it up , to try and find the Parts. :(

Many thanks in advance.* Marty. :-/

it does not sound like a pump problem as i have partially dismantled mine and tested the pump, it will pump out a complete tank of water without going out on overload nor does the pump get hot at any stage (would indicate a defective pump motor if was hot) it seems more to do with the thermal cut out on the thermablock. Whether the thermablock has started to draw to much current due to it leaking water onto the element or the PCB components have become to sensitive and is causing it to go out on O/L is still a question i would like answered. But mine will work if i leave the switch in either the steam or express position then turn off the main switch and turn back on again after waiting a second.
    what i might try to do is putting a small short across the O/L of the thermablock . this will determine if the thermablock is faulty or if the PCB is faulty ( hoping thermablock has a thermal O/L attached to it of course ) could be current protected via the PCB, will keep you posted about my findings.

boz
    Wozza any feed back i have same issue machine only works when turned of
    let cool down then ok .

Quote Originally Posted by wozzathewizard View Post
    it does not sound like a pump problem as i have partially dismantled mine and tested the pump, it will pump out a complete tank of water without going out on overload nor does the pump get hot at any stage (would indicate a defective pump motor if was hot) it seems more to do with the thermal cut out on the thermablock. Whether the thermablock has started to draw to much current due to it leaking water onto the element or the PCB components have become to sensitive and is causing it to go out on O/L is still a question i would like answered. But mine will work if i leave the switch in either the steam or express position then turn off the main switch and turn back on again after waiting a second.
    what i might try to do is putting a small short across the O/L of the thermablock . this will determine if the thermablock is faulty or if the PCB is faulty ( hoping thermablock has a thermal O/L attached to it of course ) could be current protected via the PCB, will keep you posted about my findings.
    I too am having the same problems, looks like I will have 2 dead machines in my office now. let me know if anyone got to the root of the problem with this. I initially thought it was because the machine wasn't hot enough, now I am thinking it is over-heating. it does seem to get very hot, quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinmosquito View Post
    I too am having the same problems, looks like I will have 2 dead machines in my office now. let me know if anyone got to the root of the problem with this. I initially thought it was because the machine wasn't hot enough, now I am thinking it is over-heating. it does seem to get very hot, quite quickly.
    Just reading this. Appears relevant as it describes the problem exactly. Electrical/Electronic Issues - Breville 800ESXL Repair