Thread: Thought please

Thought please

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I own run a cafe....and am selling cheap, just enough to* cover the machine grinder tables and chairs...reasons are...I would rather not say, but 3 years of non stop work and more nuff said.
    But problem is now I wont be able to make a decent morning cuppa ....yes I have read all the posts on under 500 dollars starting and yes I know I should be getting a breville 60010 but I wont dont cant afford it and a good grinder as well no not even a smart grinder...tip dont start up a Cafe !!
    Saw this on ebay so thoughts please
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?virboard=news;num=1115338530

I know there are a thousand threads out there on home made coffee, trouble is I am now not a first timer and know a decent cup when I drink one, I see that the grinder in this auction can be modified to grind finer, it might do for a while until I find some money.

Re: Thought please

Hi Coma11,

Quote Originally Posted by 64484A461616270 link=1321491315/0#0 date=1321491315
    I am now not a first timer and know a decent cup when I drink one
    but I wont dont cant afford it and a good grinder as well no not even a smart grinder
    weeeeelllllll if you really do know a decent cup of coffee youll be disappointed with the BCG450. I have one, modified, and the more I learnt the more frustrated with it I became. I bought a cheap Gino Rossi RR45 off the bay, replaced the burrs, broken bits, cleaned it, and had a decent grinder for about $250 - the same price as the smart grinder ;) It was too large and messy so I just replaced it with a K3T. My point is: save up and spend right the first time.

I hear the ikon is OK but I dont know how it compares to anything, Ive never seen one. Have you considered a gaggia / silvia? Or even a sunbeam dual-thermoblock? Can you up the price of something in your cafe by a $100 and increase your budget a teensy bit? If not you might be better off saving up for a few months until you can afford it.

HTH

Thanks so much for the advice iai
    I know you are right, I have heard the ikon is OK with a decent grinder, cafe not sold yet so I am getting ahead of myself ...I seem to love to stress myself before I even get there , but the thought of not having a fresh brew in the morning is serious biz.
    The others local coffee sellers around here cant hold a candle to us even on a bad day so buying a cup is out of the question [small town]
    I will just have to persuade the other half to a bigger budget when the time comes.
    What about the Di Bella sites grinder the gaggia or something like that. at $153.00 it is well within budget...anyone got one, I might start my home brewing with some of their coffee for starters I quite like it, so 2 birds one stone.

Just found this

Non-sponsor commercial link removed

Good deal I THINK FOR $599 PLUS ONLY $10.00 delivery fee I just wish I had the money now* :D or would a Lelit PL041 Espresso machine and a gaggia grinder for $150 extra be better but talking $750.00 all up then not $610.00

$6-700 is a much better budget, but sorry I dont know about the Lelits, except that they are often recommended. I would prefer the separate grinder+machine rather than a combo, so you can upgrade either independantly. In this range you could also get a 2nd hand PID silvia that someone here has pre-loved?!

Have you looked at these?
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1320147143
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1320391205
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1321384277
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1318929538

I think the last one is a little over your budget, you never know!

Hi Coma11,

You missed out on the Rancilio Lucy that just got sold in the for sale section of this forum!* I think it went for $550.*

As an owner of a Lelit PL042E I can definitely recommend this machine simply because it gives an excellent espresso and textures milk well without fail.* It is hard to not make a good coffee as long as youve dialled in the correct grind. It is fast to heat up due to the small boiler size.* The only usual pet pieve with the Lelit would be the occasional drip from the steam wand and the size of the steam wand.* Personally I would go for a combi if you intend to have it fairly portable and go with you on holidays etc.* Ive not had issues with warm beans because I only put in the amount I need as Im about to grind. otherwise the PL041 and Gaggia MDF would be fine.

The other thing to remember about single boilers of which the Lelit is one is to always remember to prime the boiler after every steam.* If you cannot remember to do this even one time then you may as well spend the $900+ on a Nuova Simonelli HX since youd be spending up to that on new elements due to constantly burning out old ones.* ;)

did you see this Stacey? http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1321590560

Yes I did but thought it sold,,,will PM him
    I had a laugh how do you know my name ? is nothing secret around here !!

And sorry about posting a non sponsor listing moderators...I was getting excited and forgot....I am very sorry bout that

Quote Originally Posted by 527E7C702020110 link=1321491315/7#7 date=1321613793
    I had a laugh how do you know my name
    sorry, I can delete it if you want - it was on a post of yours sometime. I usually go through previous posts when people ask for help to try and be a bit more useful, and so that I dont tell them something they alrady know. No points for guessing my name from my login :)

that last for-sale was only listed today - is it gone already?

No problem Ian :) ?
    I really appreciate the help I dont mind at all....as you can see we started a Cafe in a very small town 1500 population double at holiday times in Northern NSW, 3 years later we are burnt out big time, we lost a partner...my brother which was good as we only make a small wage, despite everything there is no way to make money selling coffee, when there are not enough bums to fill seats.
    The lot of us were the biggest lot of green horn idiots ever to start a cafe.
    However to our credit and with a great deal of help from Dennis Wells from Cuppacoffee we fired on...with all of 1hr of barrista training in the closest next small town, we now have regulars, and get the tourist trade at holidays, David my partner in life and work is the hardest working man I know and has become an excellent maker of coffee...from drinking instant to that is a credit to him we have a very good rep in the area as making the best coffee in Northern NSW...well so we are often told...there is much room for improvement we dont advertise or do enough food, I cook all the cakes do the books and am most days found alongside David as waitress, we cant hire staff as one we NEVER know when it will be needed, and two we cant afford to.
    My brother did design and outfit our shop really well, and the look and ambiance at Cafe Coma is quite something and that dose matter, even if people say it has to be the coffee that counts...it is both
    At Christmas it will be 3 years without a day off, we live in a beachside town ...Paradise really and have seen the beach only a few times, we are had it...I know I am on the edge of collapse, so is David but wont admit it.
    Anyway,,,yes I do know a decent cuppa when I drink one I had a laugh ;D
    I PM ed the seller with no reply as yet but Perth is a long way to ship delicate stuff, like sending from overseas, but it is a great deal you are right, and just what I need for starters, so I wait to hear.
    8-) Ian....if you want to see our shop here is a link to my facebook page we sell stuff and I make jewellery and sell my brothers paintings so we are multitasking as well as working 9 hr days
    Link http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cafe-Coma/199944390065251
    Thats me drinking Coffee as per in one of the pics
    Cheers and Thanks again Stace :-*

Cafe Coma looks like a very nice place to sip on a cup of coffee! Its a shame to lose it I too had a Juice bar many years ago and called it quits after 4 years, so I understand when youve had enough of the work for not enough returns. But my business was a much smaller scale than what youve got there really. Well, at least you guys started young. Youve plenty of time to pick yourselves up.

Best of luck Stacey with everything...including finding that right equipment for your home.

Thanks Saoye for the kind words, I dont want to shut the doors, it has brought a lot to the town, and would be sorely missed by most, people do sit for hrs as it is beautiful outside in the garden.
    Start young I had a laugh kind of you but David is 60 years of age and the young girl sitting outside is was my waitress, I am over 40 :-X but not near 60 !! David has a younger Mrs...it is me inside drinking a cuppa I had a laugh ...but hey ya made my day...gotta run to work and cakrs in oven catcha all later

Oh and what dose prime a boiler mean Saoye, I am not sure what you mean but was interested in your review of the Leliet it is looking like a good option because we have friends and will be drinking at least 6 coffees between us a day...so I will need a hard working machine, so second hand is not looking the best at this moment :-/

Glad to have cheered you up ;)

Priming a boiler is basically running hot water our of the steam wand until a steady stream of hot water comes out from the steam wand. This is when youve re-filled (primed) the boiler. If you do not prime the boiler of a single-boiler machine like the Lelit, it means the element is no longer submerged in water and is exposed in the air generating excessive heat which burns out the element.

Hope that makes sense. Its a matter of habitually running hot water through the steam want after every steaming. If you dont steam milk then no issue there. If this is too much to remember then just spend the extra money on a Heat exchanger or a double boiler. The cheapest heat exchanger (brand new) would be the Nuova Simonelli (I believe). Others can correct me if Im wrong.

Laughs ...yes you did make my day
    Understand re the priming, I think that would be OK as you would just have to make filling up the boiler part of the routine, and of course making good coffee to us CS or wanna be CSs is a ritual and taking care of expensive equipment is all part of it...my sometimes rough as guts partner is surprisingly tender and careful in his care of coffee and machine maintenance , as he is the main barrista it should be fine just as long as he is not hungover, and that is rare I had a laugh :o Thanks again Sao