Thread: Aldi Expressi

Aldi Expressi

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Aldi is releasing an expressi pod machine for the quick n easy instant coffee replacement if anyone is interested. I might get the milk frother for 20 bucks to go with my breville smartgrinder and bialetti brikka combo until i can afford a silvia. My work has a nespresso which i use daily but i look forward to weekends to drink fresh coffee from my stovetop brikka. Tastes better for some reason. For me the nespresso has a bad aftertaste but still is a reasonable drink.

Re: Aldi Expressi

You know some Aldi stuff dose last for more than 6 months and are quite good until they break...but if all you are getting is a milk frother go for it you cant do better price wise.
    Aldi gear has improved muchly in the last 6 months, as for the pod machine, I have never tried one...for an office I say ideal better than instant by far, CS people dont seem that keen on them and I can see why, save for your Sylvia and leave the pod machines for work, but milk frother for a LTA or cap go for it. :-/...not much help I know

The units Aldi are selling are rebranded German units.* See here for the original K-fee: Non-sponsor commercial link removed

These might be better than the normal quality of electrical stuff that Aldi sells.* However regarding the milk frother, if its anything like the last unit they sold, it will be absolute junk.* We bought 2, and they went back the same day. Rubbish...

Hmmmm interesting.* The pods dont look like any other system, and the K-fee pod system claims to have tea, milk and chocolate pods too...* from the pictures powder inside pods.

cost is very cheap. $0.37 per pod. anyone taste one of these yet?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 42505E4854310 link=1321617158/4#4 date=1321950716
    cost is very cheap.* $0.37 per pod
    6 grams of coffee (at a guess, might be 5g) in each, $0.37 per pod which is $60+/kg for old coffee without a roast date and a pile of landfill as a side effect.

Not cheap on the pocket or the planet but cheaper than a very similar George Cluney machine and consumables.

Quote Originally Posted by 42505E4854310 link=1321617158/4#4 date=1321950716
    anyone taste one of these yet
    I doubt it.* Aldi start selling them next week.

Im thinking about getting one for a review / test /curious play

(edited in later)

I just posted my Aldi Expressi review:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equipment-entry-level-sub-$500/31128-aldi-expressi-coffee-machine-review-lots-pictures.html

(warning: long and lots of pictures)
    Last edited by Andy; 27th July 2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: updated the link

Quote Originally Posted by 495C544948260 link=1321617158/2#2 date=1321851023
    The units Aldi are selling are rebranded German units.* See here for the original K-fee:
    Aldi are selling them for 1/2 the price that they sell for under the K-fee brand name. I suppose that must mean the pods will be incompatible with the nespresso pods or k-cups and others, and youll have to go to aldi exclusively for the pods.

Not a problem for me. I"m always at Aldi, but this must be a loss leading product with the intent to get new aldi customers visiting regularly for consumables and ofcourse making the change to aldi as their preffered supermarket or at least buy other aldi weekly specials while there.

I have purchased one of these machines this morning... They were flying off the shelves when I was there at 9am...

I have been thinking about buying a coffee machine for a while and this offer seemed too good to pass up. After having recently bought the Aldi road bike among many other previous "higher-than-usual price tag" purchases at Aldi, I had come to expect only the best my new saying is "Nothing crappy comes out of Aldi".

The machine comes in excellent looking packaging and is a lot smaller than I had expected.

The build quality is sturdy and convincing, with what feels like high quality materials and attention to detail. Nothing feels out of place and all edges are perfect. The unit stands well with no rocking and has a great grip on the table.

I bought one pack of Renzo capsules to start off with. There was heaps of stock available. Some people in-store were asking if this would be stocked regularly and the answer from the coffee demo guy was yes.

The tank is a cinch to fill and has a satisfying rigidity and shiny clarity to it dont use a scourer on it!

As per the instructions, I cleaned out the machine with water before making a drink, and everything went smoothly. I couldnt believe how quickly the water heated up after having an older machine once before, I was expecting to hear some water boiling away while I frothed the milk (great machine also) but the machine is totally silent until you press a button and the water starts pumping.

The capsule happily falls into place and the arm has a reassuring smoothness as it forces the capsule into place. The pump fires up straight away after pressing the "Large cup" button and the coffee begins to pour steadily into the cup. The pump is pretty loud, but only as loud as I have experienced from any other coffee machine.

The Renzo delivered a strong flavour kind of bitter but thats how I like it...

From start to finish, making a coffee takes under a minute.

Lifting the lever pulls the capsule back into its original position and it sees it fall neatly into the "used capsule" tank behind the pouring spot. The drip trays are easy to remove and clean, and you could easily fit more than 10 used capsules in the machine.

I reckon this machine would suit a workplace as it is easy to take care of and quick to use.

After reading the above comments, I then got to thinking about refilling the capsules.
    Also, I like the idea of using fair-trade coffee, and dont like the idea of landfill...

I managed to cut the top off a capsule, rinse it out, fill it with my own coffee grounds, wrap it back up in glad wrap (questionably safe.. melting?) and make another perfect coffee out of the same capsule. The machine seems not to know the difference and works just as it did with the original capsule. WIN!

I filmed the whole process and you can view it here on Youtube:
    youtube.com/watch?v=3LckX_LrfNA

Quote Originally Posted by 0C2A3C2B1F2B303C373D3520100D590 link=1321617158/7#7 date=1322288960
    I bought one pack of Renzo capsules to start off with.
    I wonder if Renzo from Di Bartoli knows about this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1F392F380C38232F242E2633031E4A0 link=1321617158/7#7 date=1322288960
    I have purchased one of these machines this morning... They were flying off the shelves when I was there at 9am...
    First time Ive seen a lady in there doing instore demos and pouring coffee for people. Very beautiful aromas and flavours.

Unfortunately I got there at 1pm and an entire 1 or maybe 2 pallets of coffee machines were completely empty, so they went all out with tasting sessions but you couldnt actually buy the machine. Anyway you say theyll be regularly in stock rather than a once off thing so maybe ill get to buy 1 soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 0935283339382F3A32395D0 link=1321617158/8#8 date=1322289981
    Quote Originally Posted by 0C2A3C2B1F2B303C373D3520100D590 link=1321617158/7#7 date=1322288960
    I bought one pack of Renzo capsules to start off with.
    I wonder if Renzo from Di Bartoli knows about this.

flattery? ;D

Got the Milk Frother, I am very happy with it, possibly the best $20 Ive spent. Makes great froth to my standards anyway, seems to be the similar standards as Nespresso. It now sits with my Smart Grinder and Brikka so now I can make most of the diferent types of Coffee I like. I didnt buy the Pod machine cos I dont like the taste of Nespresso so much compared to home grinded beans. Im no expert with coffee but can tell a big difference in taste between Nespresso and own grinded beans. But yeh, stoked with the $20 frother.

I love this review from User Friendly IT.

Someone that actually that* has had an experience with the coffee machine.

When we were at our local Aldi store at Bowral NSW at 11:30am they still had what looked like a pallet full and lots of people swarming around the in store demo.

I thought that the price of the coffee machine was excellent, and I too did the cost calculation per pod. I think that for the convenience and consistency, it is well worth it especially if one factors in the cost of a decent* grinder. At home, one is not going to make hundreds of coffee every day, so the extra 20 cents per cup would be inconsequential. Obviously a coffee machine like this is not for everybody, but I would imagine that some people that buy it will use it for a week and then put it away, but others will like the taste of a good coffee and might progress to better equipment.

I did not buy the Aldi machine, we already have two excellent coffee machine at home.

While shopping at Broadbeach Waters yesterday, my wife and I popped into Aldi. They were demonstrating the Expressi, and were selling quite a few. Naturally, curiosity got the better of us, and we had a look. The unit is cheaper than the Nespresso my brother bought. The result looked similar. The capsules were $52/kg for the coffee. Despite many coffees being made my wife said she noticed no discernible aroma of coffee. Nothing like what emanates from freshly roasted and ground coffee at home.
    She was offered a coffee but politely declined. A woman whose other half was loading three machines into a trolley, looked at her snobbishly and said:
    "Dont you like coffee? This makes coffee way better than instant, and as good as our local cafe!"
    My wife replied "I love good coffee. Enjoy your coffee journey, we passed this step over a decade ago".
    Plastic woman looks back with a sneer and asks "Well what stage are you at?"
    To which my wife looked her in the eye and replied:
    "The pinnacle. My husband sources and roasts his own high quality beans. Every morning, using fresh beans he makes me a delightful coffee on our commercial espresso machine and serves it to me on our deck, overlooking the water. Why would I bother with a machine when I have him?" ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 5552474845260 link=1321617158/13#13 date=1322352882
    Why would I bother with a machine when I have him?"
    Good to see that you wont swap your good husband for a machine.

Barry

I believe these machines have their place. Its the Nespresso kick started my interest into coffee. At first I thought it was great, but after drinking it every work day for about a month I started to be able to taste some displeasurable bitterness to them, i dont know how to describe it but I rarely use it now. I noticed other work colleagues who used to love the Nespresso now buy coffee from the cafes I had a laugh. Now when I grind my own beans, there is no bad bitterness at all. I believe some of the Expressi people eventually will want to upgrade to fresh beans later on and continue the journey as Bosco mentioned. An expensive journey that is.

Im thinking about getting one for a review / test /curious play
    Then wash it down with a proper coffee afterwards??* ;D

-Linda

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 64484A4A485A764A41404A4248290 link=1321617158/16#16 date=1322390706
    Then wash it down with a proper coffee afterwards??
    Hmm... you could have warned me before now.
    Thats exactly what I did.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equipment-entry-level-sub-$500/31128-aldi-expressi-coffee-machine-review-lots-pictures.html

These machines were heavily promoted at my local shopping centre on Saturday: pretty young girls with tight t-shirts handing out brochures and possibly other promotional stuff.

I dont know what it was but they seemed to ignore me. I walked past three who seemed to pointedly avoid me and hand out to other customers. I definitely dont have CoffeeSnob stamped on forehead. I thought it was because my wife was with me but one girl handed out stuff to another couple* as we approached Aldis (on the way out) but chose to ignore me. Im sure I am better looking than the preceding guy and my wife objectively confirmed that.* ::)

Was it Divine intervention that I wasnt led to temptation? Was it along the lines of the story of Daniel and the lions? Did the promo girls have sales training that helped them to detect properly caffeinated punters: "Theyre the ones with the smug and satisfied look" or "Look out for the indignant type who might appear to be itching to get in your face about having the temerity to offer our products :-/.

I would have refused it if I was offered but that isnt the point. I demand the right of refusal.* :P

Quote Originally Posted by 68474D50290 link=1321617158/17#17 date=1322416878
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1322406344
    Hi Andy,

How does the Expressi compare to a Nespresso? I think this would be the real comparison of the market that they are trying to capture. Is there a comparison of how much coffee in a nespresso etc etc?

Quote Originally Posted by 4F676A706B6660050 link=1321617158/11#11 date=1322304441
    Got the Milk Frother, I am very happy with it, possibly the best $20 Ive spent.

I purchased beans at the last beanbay, pretty sure I got better value for my $20 than you did ;)

JJJ

Quote Originally Posted by 0129243E25282E4B0 link=1321617158/15#15 date=1322364592
    An expensive journey that is.
    Id argue that, long term, such a journey would actually save money when compared to a decade of using pod systems.

Higher up-front costs with a quality coffee setup, granted, but long term the money one saves by buying green and roasting ones own easily covers the initial output, and youre getting a significantly better result in the cup.

Follow the link and read the other posts but from my experience the pods are inferior to the MAP ones which actualy have a plastic filter top & bottom to control the flow of water through the coffee shot. The expressi ones dont, which explains the huge price diff of 65c/ea for the MAP and 37c/ea for the expressi.

If you buy the expressi then please goto officeworks and buy a box of MAP pods and compare at least; for a small investment of $6.50 you might get a decent coffee...

PS heres a thought...

buy the MAP, pull apart and refill for the exressi and use the extra filters (being plastic thy might make all the difference) then all you have to do is buy some fresh grounds or grind/roast your own; ITS SO WORTH IT

I checked out that youtube post about the pod repack - thanks for that btw. One thing though that I noticed in this video, and also from a lot of posts on this website relating to this machine - seems many are settling for the fact that this machine routinely turns out lower temperature brew coffee with fairly average crema and flavour. I know this is a cheap machine (sort of - I mean you can get fairly comparable cost machines with filter handles, better quality coffee), but I would have expected the brew temperature to have been higher as a basic.

I'm carrying out Andy's mod of this machine, using a clamp. Will post results in the other thread that has the details and pics of the hose mod.

Cheers,

Magic Man

If it seems to good to be true, there's a good chance that it is!