Thread: Looking to buy a good machine to go with my brevill smart grinder

Looking to buy a good machine to go with my brevill smart grinder

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

I have recently started to get into good coffee and while I do love my aeropress, sometimes I feel like something different and have been considering buying a proper espresso machine.

I know beans and grind are important and I think I have that more or less covered with my brevil smart grinder(at least considering I am not willing to pay more than a couple hundred $$ for a grinder) so now all I need is a decent machine.

I keep hearing that the sunbeams are good value, but there are just so many choices. If I am looking to spend $200-300 what do you guys recommend? I will only be living in Australia for 3 or so more years so I dont need any long term investment.

What do you think of the sunbeam e4820? Should i go em5600?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if you know a good place in the Brisbane area or a good website to check out let me know.

Thanks so much,
    -David

Re: Looking to buy a good machine to go with my brevill smart grinder

hey david

have you had a look at the for sale section on the forum? theres some bargain finds there

this might suit your needs!

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1321766390

iggy

Quote Originally Posted by 6742481611230 link=1322177457/0#0 date=1322177457
    brevil smart grinder(at least considering I am not willing to pay more than a couple hundred $$ for a grinder)
    good idea - to "upgrade" from this you would probably have to go to a Compak K3 for a quality upgrade, at $550 but youd loose the accurate dose timer; or the Macap M4D to get both the quality and accurate dosing, but at over $1000.* Although many people get by without the accurate dose timer (such as myself :) )

anyhoo, Id patiently watch the for-sale section, but to tailor the answer: what do you like drinking and how many do you make at a time?

With my aeropress I usually drink my coffee black which I think more or less equates to an Americana (shot of espresso with hot water added)

If I had access to a machine I would most likely drink shots or cappuccinos.

For me it is most important that the shot taste good black. If that is the case then I am sure it will still taste great in a more complicated drink.

As for quantity I am usually 1-2 in the morning before work and then 1-2 in the afternoon when I get home. Average of about 2-3 per day in a week where I have good beans around.

To be clear I have never owned a proper espresso machine before so I dont have a lot of experience making drinks with one. That said I have loved learning how to make great coffee with an aeropress and expect a similar fun experiment with a machine.

Well, youre open to a plethora of options! Looks like you want a great shot maker, which probably means the lower-end thermoblocks are going to struggle to satisfy, although you may be content with them.

Consider that thermoblocks are "fast" at getting to temp and making coffee, and fairly fast at going between steam / water (especially the dual-thermoblock). However, theyre not shot-killers in my opinion :)

A single boiler machine would make better black shots, especially if it has a PID, which you can usually fit aftermarket. Single boilers take time to go from water <> steam, and you need to prime the boiler after steaming lest you burn it dry! However youre more likely to be able to produce fantastic espressos. I also prefer the proper 58mm basket size.

To make an americana on an espresso machine youd probably want to fill your cup with hot water, then extract the black shot on top.

Milk is possible on just about any machine, but the time to make it varies.

Dont forget to consider a good tamper and maybe some cleaning products in your budget - backflush solution, grouphead brush, microfibre cloths...

HTH :)

Quote Originally Posted by 795C56080F3D0 link=1322177457/0#0 date=1322177457
    If I am looking to spend $200-300 what do you guys recommend?
    youre being referred to the used section of this site as realistically, second-hand is your only option for decent coffee at this price point.

new-ish gaggia classics (small boiler), and sunbeam 6910s (thermoblock) are everywhere and could be found for this price. I think a Cimbali Domus (boiler) is for sale on CS at Gold Coast for under $300 as well.

Hi

Id go with the 4820 out of your listed choices, Why? Because while the 5600 has a fancy wiz-bang display screen (which doesnt seem to offer anything to the shot anyway), I find the side-mount of the control dial to be somewhat awkward (Im right handed, yes, but I like to froth the milk using my right hand holding the jug, which makes it a little uncomfortable and all over the place to turn on and off the steam arm) bear in mind that Ive never really played with it in the wild personally, but if its like the majority of sunbeams Dial machines that I have tried, then its somewhat stiff and recalcitrant to turn. Plus it has Sunbeams "old style" wand with a single direction of movement, I believe the EM4820 has a ball-jointed steam-wand, its certainly a better design anyway (seems that sunbeam is moving away from that silly rubber panerello thingy that they were offering for the longest time)

Plus, I just dont see what the EM5600 has on offer that the EM4820 does not. Especially for the extra price. (oh wow, its got an LCD Clock on the front, thats useful, yet another appliance to change the clock for on daylight savings* ;) )

Failing that, you could always go secondhand em6910/gaggia classic/Saeco VV like others have suggested, I wouldnt myself, but thats because I like the concept of warranties ;D