Thread: hot chocolate hurt my Breville ESP4?! Help!

hot chocolate hurt my Breville ESP4?! Help!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Funny story:

I have come into posession of yet another espresso maker, this one a Sunbeam EM3500. I went to a party and discovered in the kitchen, a very large paperweight unused by ANY of the 12 occupants. They were happy to move it on. Diagnosis: Milk frother wand blocked. Easy. Control knob busted - replaced with one of my sons toys of the right dimensions (soon to be replaced by an ACTUAL EM3500 control know, once I get around to ordering one).

So, I decide to gift the old ESP4 (which I use only to froth milk as the steam wand on my ancient em6910 burnt out), which is virtually brand new, to a friend of mine. I call his wife and let her know. I am feeling like a saint.

Straight away, I get off the phone and begin to clean up the ESP4 to prepare it for Christmas packaging. I turn on the steam wand and wonder why it is taking so long to heat up. Out pours... a stream of hot chocolate. I switch to pour. Still more hot chocolate. Uh-oh.

A week before, the afore-mentioned friends daughter was over at a party, making hot chocolates for the kiddies using the ESP4 steam wand. Somehow, quite a lot of that hot chocolate got sucked back into the tank. Silly me, I didnt clean the machine up after her, so it sat all week.

Ive been trying to rinse it with vinegar a la decalcification, but this is more than just calcium coating the bottom of the tank... What do I do? The thing is still taking ages to build up a head of steam!

Help!

Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar

Re: hot chocolate hurt my Breville ESP4?! Help!

Eeeeeugh!
    That sounds like trouble - esp with that much milk coming out both outlets - are you sure the friends daughter didnt just fill up the whole water tank with chocolate milk? ;D ;D

If it hasnt been used since (ie the heat making the milk in the tank go rancid) then you might get away with it. Youll probably need to flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush, flush…

…then flush again! And hope the friend is not a coffeesnob!

Good luck with that one!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by 0E2F39232D2423242D083309252C2C2F2F4A0 link=1322496938/1#1 date=1322517216
    are you sure the friends daughter didnt just fill up the whole water tank with chocolate milk?
    Thats what I reckon might have happened. Kids are remarkably ingenious.

You could try alternating between acid and alkali flushes - using a wash containing a small amount of dishwasher detergent followed by another wash with the decalcifying stuff. I wouldnt let it get hot for long periods, and would fully pump out the tank each time, and flush with water before switching the acid/alkali. Hopefully it will get rid of any milk solids left in the tank.

Gonzo

I have successfully cleaned it out. Bicarb Soda and Vinegar. Vinegar alone wasnt lifting it, but the bicarb did a crack-up job. So, thanks Gonzo!

I think this is what I love about the ESP4, even though I dont have as solid and consistent results as I was getting with the em6910 - there is not electrical mess to figure out. Just a heating element, a tank and a control knob.

With the Breville heating element, Im not worried that its ever going to burn out. Everything else seems simple enough to fix - theres not that many places any problem could be...

I reckon more complicated machines might be less forgiving about what I put in them to clean them, but I dont know that for sure. Ill probably post here (in the right forum, Javaphile - thanks for setting me straight) before I attempt anything.