Thread: Buying tomorrow - EM0450 + Breville BES250?

Buying tomorrow - EM0450 + Breville BES250?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I NEED to buy a machine tomorrow. Found out my university cafe makes great coffee so Ive been dropping at least 2 cappuccinos everyday. Now I dont go to uni on the weekends, it gets rough without coffee so its time to get into making it at home. From what Ive read on here the EM0450 is the entry level choice grinder but I dont really know what machine to get. Im on a tight budget of $500. I havent found any evidence of machines making any difference in the $500- range in my research but plenty of warning to newbies to get at least the EM0450 and fresh beans. Are there any specific models I should consider, Id really like to get a nice foam on my cappuccinos :]

The 800ES is on sale for $370 but I havent found any reason to get this over BES250 Id rather just save $210.

Re: Buying tomorrow - EM0450 + Breville BES250?

I might be criticised here, but Id probably go for the BES250, it is cheaper, theyre both thermoblocks, both have the auto-purge feature, both have the same 15 bar pump... The only difference is that the 800ES apparently is semi-programmable - that is it will always deliver the same volume of water through your grounds. But I dont see this as a big issue as, I think most people here would say to watch and measure it yourself anyway!

But as youve said, it always comes down to having a good grinder and good, fresh beans. Also, look into getting the single walled baskets. Breville makes these. They will give you better and more authentic espresso, providing you use fresh beans. :)

Have fun!

The other alternative is to pair the EM-0450 with a Sunbeam Machine (EM3600 or EM4800/4820 are the options), I think theyve got more of a range under the $250 then Breville does, but when it gets down to that level, theres not much of a muchness to any of the units available, minor differences, etc.

I guess what it comes down to is which unit matches your aesthetic the most, Brevilles look, or Sunbeams look.

So, um, yeah, Happy Coffee Hunting!

I have an 800ES and it isnt programmable, the BES820 I think is programmable for shot volume.

Having had a look at the Sunbeam 4820 in the shops, it looks to be poorly made unlike the solid feel of previous model Sunbeams.*

I also dont reckon* BES250 is hugely different to the 800ES internally but I may be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by 27383F2735500 link=1323341318/3#3 date=1323430260
    I have an 800ES and it isnt programmable, the BES820 I think is programmable for shot volume.

Having had a look at the Sunbeam 4820 in the shops, it looks to be poorly made unlike the solid feel of previous model Sunbeams.*

I also dont reckon* BES250 is hugely different to the 800ES internally but I may be mistaken.
    From Breville:
    Programmable Semi Automatic
    The programmable pour, or semi-automatic function, simply controls the volume of the espresso pour, at the press of a button. Thats 30ml for a single shot and 60ml for a double. Which, of course, is adjustable.
    Also. It appears that the 250 doesnt have a hot water function? Maybe this is an issue for you, wouldnt be for me, I never use it.

As far as a grinder goes, look for a good deal on a Breville smart grinder. Theyre a big step up from the em0450 for not many more dollars. You should be able to get one for under $200 if you ring around, bargain and tell them what you can get it for elsewhere. Try Hardly Normal or The Crude Guys. If you buy the machine from the same place they might be able to sling you more discount. I reckon ring around for the best deal, go to that shop, and ask the smart gri der plus the best machine they can do for under $500 and youll come away with a decent start up package.
    If you can wait till after Chrissy youll get more bang for your buck
    And Id you can wait till after Chrissy keep an eye out in the for sale section on this forum. A Silvia and rocky combo came up for $500 a few weeks ago and that would be WAY better than any of the new Breville or sunbeam ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 5E7B6C737E221A0 link=1323341318/4#4 date=1323431004
    From Breville:
    Programmable Semi Automatic
    The programmable pour, or semi-automatic function, simply controls the volume of the espresso pour, at the press of a button.* Thats 30ml for a single shot and 60ml for a double. Which, of course, is adjustable.
    For the BES820 and 860, this is true, However, the BES250 and BES800 use a dial on the front to control the pour/steam

So yeah, the programmable function on the machines we are talking about here is basicly you guesstimate the right time and amount