Thread: Sunbeam em4800c

Sunbeam em4800c

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,
    i just purchased a Sunbeam EM4800C (from ebay - I know, I know that says it all!) and am having trouble with the steaming wand.* There is no steam!* There are a few drips of water but steam is escaping out of it somewhere - as the backboard of the machine is steaming up when it is on... I hope I have explained that correctly, I have never used a coffee machine before. I was excited to use it and now I am just frustrated as heck so had a wine instead! Any advise would be very much appreciated :)

Re: Hi! Im new here. Go easy on me!

Hi, Im new here I have just purchased my first coffee machine (and think I stuffed up!) I got it on ebay (that could be my first mistake) and the steamer wand thingy is not working. There are drips of water that come out of it but no steam.... There is however steam coming from I think where the wand meets the machine (i hope that makes sense - I dont know the correct names for these things yet) If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. :-[

Ok, if there is steam coming from the section where the wand joint is (where it connects into the machine), you may find it is simply blocked. Take the tip of and check for blockage.

Btw, what machine is it? Knowing the type of machine will help us help you.

its a sunbeam em4800c.* I took it apart but have no idea what I am looking for!* I will try again in a couple of hrs when I have more patients.* 3.30am with a 3month old.. oh what I wouldnt give for a nice cap :(

Re: Sunbeam em4800c

Quote Originally Posted by 5E514A4B4C4C51555D4A380 link=1323598015/3#3 date=1323626001
    I took it apart but have no idea what I am looking for
    the steam tip should be about the size of a toothpaste cap. Hold it up to the light and you should see a small pinhole - if not its blocked - use a toothpic or pin or anything and unblock it. If you can see a tiny hole, and its still not working, the blockage is somewhere higher up, or theres a different problem...

Yep, pretty sure its blocked, I had the same problem a few months ago. You can take the tip of the wand off for cleaning, also to check where it is blocked.
    Grab the plastic tamp/scoop thing that comes with the machine, look along the handle, there are holes machined along it. The last two are hexagonal and will fit over the tip to let you unscrew it. Clean it in hot soapy water, and you might need a fine needle or pin to unblock the hole.

After you steam milk, make sure you wipe the end thoroughly and give it a quick blast of steam to clear out any milk that might have gone into the wand.

EDIT: Make sure you plug the drain if you wash the tip in the sink! You dont want to lose it down the drain

thank you so much for your advise!* I took the tip off the wand (didnt know it even came apart!) and have soaked it all in vinegar and water, pulled apart a pin and used some cotton buds to get right into the wand... and wand and tip are now as good as new!

Full steam ahead* ;)

Now to work on technique and getting a great looking froth!!*

Thanks again guys, I look forward to being totally educated on all things coffee

sooo, wondering now how long do you let the coffee extract for? until the colour starts to go clear? or stop it before that when it is still dark in colour.

And then, I can get the milk hot but having trouble with the froth! I had a laugh- may invest in a cow with the amount of milk I have used practicing the last day. An hour ago is the first time I have been able to drink what I have produced out of the machine!

There is definitely and art to coffee making :-[

Quote Originally Posted by 343B202126263B3F3720520 link=1323598015/7#7 date=1323749256
    sooo, wondering now how long do you let the coffee extract for?
    For as long as is necessary, grasshopper! My point is (yes there is one!) that changes for each cup / roast / day, but generally youre aiming for 30ml in 30s for a single basket of around 9g, and 60ml in 30s for a double basket of around 18g. However, dont hesitate to cut it at 20 - 25s if you have to, if its starting to "blonde". A little lightening is ok, but if its running pale then its probably sour & weak.

To test this, extract one shot for a minute or more, and pass 3 - 4 cups under it in 30s turns. The first one should taste ok but every one after that will taste progressively worse...

Quote Originally Posted by 2A253E3F38382521293E4C0 link=1323598015/7#7 date=1323749256
    And then, I can get the milk hot but having trouble with the froth!
    heaps of info here on that - search for "steaming" and "thermoblock" and you should find masses of tips. Practise makes perfect. Put the tip just under the surface so it doesnt screech, growl, or create a whirlpool until you have foam (stretching). Finish by creating a whirlpool to suck up the larger bubbles and make it more silky. How frothy you want it determines how long you stretch it for. Youre looking for "wet paint" depending on how frothy you like your capuccinos.

:)

I am getting pretty decent milk out of my 4800.
    Start by holding the tip just under the surface, and getting as much air as you can into the milk (without it blowing bubbles). Pretty much as soon as you feel the milk start to warm up through the side of the jug, raise the jug up so the tip of the wand is about 0.5-1cm beneath the surface of the milk. Adjust the position/angle of the jug so you get a good whirlpool going. Hold the tip at about that depth (you may have to keep lowering the jug as the milk stretches).
    Keep going until the jug is too hot to touch (or as hot as you like).