Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By koma
  • 1 Post By iaindb

Thread: Thanks, and new Gaggia Classic for $400

Thanks, and new Gaggia Classic for $400

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi folks,

First post here and just wanted to say thanks for this great website. I spent some time browsing and purchased a Gaggia Classic based on the disucssions here. Have also ordered a Breville IQ grinder.

I also wanted to let you know that you dont have to pay retail for a coffee machine! The Gaggia Classic retails for $650-$700 but I picked one up on ebay for $400 (brand new) including shipping from the UK. Shipping was fast too, arriving in less than a week. I did need to buy a plug adaptor to fit into Aussie power sockets, these are cheap at around $5.

So the money I saved on the machine allowed me to get a better grinder and other equipment.

Worth shopping around if youre in the market.

I suggest checking ebay, amazon and sites like shopbot.com.au that automatically compare prices around Oz. Theres also lots of cheap online only stores like alwaysonsale and Billy Guyatts.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and thanks again for a very informative website!

Re: Thanks, and new Gaggia Classic for $400

Actually you have paid retail. Just not in this country. What youve really done is directly imported a product not entirely suited to Australian conditions potentally buying future headache and heartache. And exported even more dollars.

Your next step needs to be contacting a reliable electrician and getting rid of that TRAVEL adaptor. That means spending money. But at least it will be benefit this countrys economy.

Weve seen these sites so youre hardly educating us. If you had spent any time here youd already know what the majority think of your purchasing decision.

Look after your machine well. Youll need to.

Oh, btw, youve also broken and bent numerous site/forum rules in this post.

Actually the machine comes with an international warranty and can be repaired under warranty in Australia (the seller has a base in Tasmania that takes care of that).

Ive bought a few appliances using this method, fortunately only 1 needed repairs and it was covered, I did my homework before purchasing.

And lets imagine that it wasnt covered, most repairs could be made for less than the saving Ive made, barring failure of a major component.

Travel adaptors are fine if the device comes from a country where the voltage and amp input is the same. If not a voltage converter can be used. Theyre not expensive either.* In addition, the plug on the Gaggia Classic is fused.

Overpaying for appliances from Australian retailers may support site sponsors and our ecomony, but what incentive does this give for changing our ridiculous import duties?

Oh and I do support the site sponsors, Im using one of them for beans and small accessories.

I appreciate you taking the time to post your response, even if it was riddled with condescension. Perhaps youre trying to justify overpaying for things to yourself. Theres nothing wrong with saving some money. I support companies that want to compete, and that means not (over)paying RRP.

Edit: I just read some of your other posts, most of them are just as condescending as the one you wrote me. Its like youre trying to moderate the forum without having any mod privileges, please remove stick from rear end.

Hello and welcome koma.

Congratulations on your purchase, the most important thing is that you are happy with your new machine and how much you paid/saved.

As you spend a little more time here on CS you will understand why dabbler made the comments that he did, despite being a little kurt.

Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by 090D0F03620 link=1324693877/2#2 date=1324700364
    Travel adaptors are fine if the device comes from a country where the voltage and amp input is the same. If not a voltage converter can be used.
    just beware of the earth - its not always connected. And theres frequency to consider as well ;) I personally dont like the travel adapters as they never seem a tight fit, and I dont want loose plugs around my kitchen. I would get it chopped and refitted anyway.

Personally Im quite happy with grey imports for most things - especially if your alternative is a big retailer that complains that his 100% markup is required to cover a 10% duty tax... However a local coffee shop like "our" sponsors provide so much more than just the equipment - have you considered that your machine in its "factory standard" configuration may not produce the best coffee it can? I dont know about Gaggia, but most decent machines have pressure, temperature, and level adjustments that can be tweaked, which is an art to get all 3 working just right.

just my second crack worth.
    aussieflicker likes this.

Declaring up front, we are an Authorised*Australian Philips/Saeco/Gaggia coffee machine Service Centre.

In view of all the above weve been waiting patiently for a reply from Oz HQ for a ruling on what happens on the subject of "warranty", and here is the interpretation*we have been given to understand.

e-bay resellers are not Philips authorised resellers and cannot offer warranties or international warranties on behalf of Philips Saeco. Consumers should always carefully read the terms and conditions of sale to understand what guarantees are made, but there is still the risk of being misled and there are known risks associated with internet and overseas purchases. UK models are not approved for use in Australia, buyer beware!

This is not to preclude of course, that an e-bay vendor may be offering their own private warranty on an item they sell. I would however, thnk seriously about how much support could actually be offered by the vendor in the event of a warrantable breakdown, given the extremely low value to them of the profit made on an item that was transported from the UK to Oz for a total sell of $400.00 (and the cost of further transport from mainland Oz to Tassie and return after repair).

If I bought one of these, I would be doing so with eyes wide open that there is in reality, no real guarantee / warranty on the item.

Various Australian authorised service and sales centres offer pretty good deals on the equipment, with a real warranty, and if CS members are concerned to buy something with a warranty they only need ask authorsied vendors for information.

Rgdz,
    Attilio
    very first Cs site sponsor.*

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 6F5B4C5A41766A464F4F4C4C290 link=1324693877/5#5 date=1325730242
    Declaring up front, we are an Authorised*Australian Philips/Saeco/Gaggia coffee machine Service Centre.

In view of all the above weve been waiting patiently for a reply from Oz HQ for a ruling on what happens on the subject of "warranty", and here is the interpretation*we have been given to understand.

e-bay resellers are not Philips authorised resellers and cannot offer warranties or international warranties on behalf of Philips Saeco. Consumers should always carefully read the terms and conditions of sale to understand what guarantees are made, but there is still the risk of being misled and there are known risks associated with internet and overseas purchases. UK models are not approved for use in Australia, buyer beware!

This is not to preclude of course, that an e-bay vendor may be offering their own private warranty on an item they sell. I would however, thnk seriously about how much support could actually be offered by the vendor in the event of a warrantable breakdown, given the extremely low value to them of the profit made on an item that was transported from the UK to Oz for a total sell of $400.00 (and the cost of further transport from mainland Oz to Tassie and return after repair).

If I bought one of these, I would be doing so with eyes wide open that there is in reality, no real guarantee / warranty on the item.

Various Australian authorised service and sales centres offer pretty good deals on the equipment, with a real warranty, and if CS members are concerned to buy something with a warranty they only need ask authorsied vendors for information.

Rgdz,
    Attilio
    very first Cs site sponsor.*
    Timely post Attilio,

Out of curiosity, I recently made an enquiry about one of the big selling prosumer machines from our range and was told that if there was an issue, that I could take it to the importer or my local dealer for warranty service which would be provided at no charge. This of course was yet another serving of lies to the gullible- solely to secure a sale. ::)

Very true Chris.

Further to this topic and for the information of CS readers.

Just been having a chat (in person) with Philips Saeco Rep.

In clarification of the topic of "International Warranty".

Clients would be able to access Philips Saeco international warranty IF the equipment was purchased initially from an authorsied Philips Saeco dealer. Reiterating, we are informed that e-bay vendors are not authorised Philips Saeco dealers and ergo, there is no authorised dealer warranty on equipment purchased from them.

Rgdz,
    Attilio
    very first CS Site Sponsor

Ill chime in and say that the Gaggia Classic (mine anyway), takes a standard plug as found on a kettle, PC, or other elec equipment. Get an appropriate cable and ditch the adapter.

Hi sorry to bring up an old thread but I have a few questions. Is the international warranty likely to apply if bought from Philips on Amazon? Also has anyone had any results having just changed to an Australian pc/ rice cooker plug, will this still damage the machine as opposed to using an adapter? Thanks

You won't need a warranty, they're bullet proof! ��

Hello,
    Just adding my bit as well,Gaggia classic are super machines IMHO,standard ISO supply cable,active,neutral plus earth,if you have a foreign alternative ,any appliance supplier store would have stock of Australian cables,
    Congratulations on your sensible purchase,good choice,will outlast you and and I together!
    Cheers,
    Mick.