Thread: Breville 800es ~ Is it suppose to be so noisy on start up (I mean Loud!)

Breville 800es ~ Is it suppose to be so noisy on start up (I mean Loud!)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    Just purchased the Breville 800es with grinder package and looked to having better coffee than the intant!
    Anyway, took off all promo stickers etc, filled water container and completed a water brewing operation without ground coffee to ensure internal piping as been pre-heated (as per Breville instructions booklet).

Turned the power on and pushed the on/off button, red light came on and it immediately scared the c**p out of me from the noise it gave off.

It was extremely loud and thinking this aint right I turned it off straight away.

I double checked everything in-case I hadnt done something - but all looked ok, turned it on again and the same loud noise.
    It sounded as if something wasnt connecting - (a loud clicking sound). So let it go for longer and it eventual stopped, but nothing else seemed to be happening except a slight water gurgling sound and di hear the pump noise.

So waited and waited and nothing - thought, turn knobs, push buttons but nothing - so turned it off again.

3rd time on and all the same as above until even red light didnt come on. The top heating area was hot but thought maybe the machine is now too hot and as a safety precauction it needed to cool down - so left overnight.

This morning, same extreme loud noise but eventually water came through.

My concern is the noise - its just too loud, it would make people in the room turn around and wonder what was wrong.

Do others have this noise at such a high level (I cant see this as normal).
    Thanks for any thoughts/ideas.

Re: Breville 800es ~ Is it suppose to be so noisy on start up (I mean Loud!)

Hi doobie and welcome to CS.

Because it has just had water placed in the tank, the first thing that it need would to do is prime the pump and pipes. (And probably the thermoblock too). Priming is a fast, sharp maybe rapping-like noise. Like a longish fast door knock maybe ?!

That will be noisey but how loud is loud to you? Its impossible to know without a reference point.

Brewing/steaming/hot water sounds like a slower, lower thump (compared to priming).

Quote Originally Posted by 434848454E42270 link=1324876792/0#0 date=1324876792
    3rd time on and all the same as above until even red light didnt come on.* The top heating area was hot but thought maybe the machine is now too hot and as a safety precauction it needed to cool down - so left overnight.

This morning, same extreme loud noise but eventually water came through.
    The cup heating area (a.k.a. the top) is heated passively from the plumbing and thermoblock. Its unlikely to be overheating.
    The red light means its heating. Its goes out when ready. Then you can turn the centre knob to left for steam or hot water, or right to brew. Thats when it makes the slower thump pump noise. When you turn it on and it s heating, the knob should be "upright". Water should not come through until you flip it left or right.

It all sounds normal to me.

Thanks dabbler for the welcome and reply.
    Well, today the loud noise seems to have settled, making me think it was only happening because of 1st use (maybe).

But as you mentioned it was probably doing the priming of pumps/pipes.

It could have been compared to a sharp rapping noise like you say but to compare the noise level it would have drowned out a TV with reasonable volume!....But today it is nowhere near that loud and only is noisy for say 3 seconds.

Now I just got to get the coffees right as they have a slight bitter taste.
    But reading some posts here it is all a matter of trying/testing - have watched a couple of youtbes and got some hints also.
    One thing already learnt is apparently not to buy supermarket ground / beans as they could stale (well, I didnt know that at the time - maybe this is giving the slight bitter taste).
    Anyway, thanks again, I will continue reading posts and probably ask more Qs too.

Youll get lots of great info on the site and CSers in general. As many have said before, ditch the pressurized baskets.

Did you get the Bar-aroma BCG450 ? You might want to look at this thread:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1204007644

A stock BCG450 will not be fine enough for some beans/roasts and unpressurised baskets.

As for the noise wait until you steam! We politely tell TV watchers when were about to grind, steam and brew.
    Ha - what timing. If* you could hear my wife she just said "going to make noise now".
    dabbler

Ditch the pressurized baskets? 2 came with the unit (1 serve and 2 serves) but have read that Krups is another sort to get (but I presume they are unpressurized).

Yes, got the BCG450 and have ground down the Gloria Jeans bean on espresso. I read it should feel like sand grit which I feel it is - the next setting in turkish which I presume would be too fine.

Thanks for the post link - quite informative but may wait on doing any modification yet as will see what fresh beans will be like (if I can find where to buy them locally).

(mmmm, women, they have that knack)

The basket size thing is a different matter and may not even be an issue to you because its more about the amount of coffee you produce each time than quality of coffee if your technique is good enough. A lot of people find it difficult to get good results with the single basket and just use the double. We always used the double because we wanted more coffee or stronger coffee. Plus we werent as fussy until we started using unpressurized so probably couldnt tell if shots with the single werent too good.

That aside, the stock baskets with the 800 are pressurized and also called dual walled baskets. Probably go by other names too. Anyway turn it over and youll see only a single pin hole. Its basically a basket sealed inside a basket and its used to produce a false crema regardless of the state of the coffee. Ive read somewhere here that tamp and tampers are less important with them too but have never tested this out.

You can either buy unpressurized (or single wall), convert them yourself or have it done for you. A fellow CSer offers this service. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1281345941

As for the BCG450 I reckon mine ground finer when new then got worse. Cleaning didnt help - necessary but didnt help grind size. I modded mine after a few months when I went unpressurized (cant remember now where I sourced mine).

Others will say get a new (better) grinder and there is logic in that advice but I imagine theres a good reason you have the bundle youve got and it doesnt allow for forking out more $.

Quote Originally Posted by 717A7A777C70150 link=1324876792/4#4 date=1324984816
    Ditch the pressurized baskets?
    yep ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by 717A7A777C70150 link=1324876792/4#4 date=1324984816
    Yes, got the BCG450 and have ground down the Gloria Jeans bean on espresso. I read it should feel like sand grit which I feel it is - the next setting in turkish which I presume would be too fine.
    In my experience with the BCG450 and BES820 - grind on the finest it will go. It says turkish but thats just a gimmick - its nowhere near.

However, using the pressurised basket means the grind changes will have little/no effect.

I modified my grinder after about 6 months, drilled out the pressurised floor of my basket, bought fresh beans, and never looked back. Theres a warning that goes with this path - you may end up a coffee snob :)

Quote Originally Posted by 717A7A777C70150 link=1324876792/2#2 date=1324952010
    Now I just got to get the coffees right as they have a slight bitter taste.
    When was it roasted? This could give a bad taste too.

I also have the 800ES but paired with the Breville Smartgrinder and the Krups double shot single wall basket and matching tamper, both from Pullman Tampers (beautiful tamper).

I have also removed the black plastic base from the bottom of the PF as muck and grime can accumulate beneath this.* The design of the base of the PF (flat and ridged) means the flow from the basket to the PF into your espresso cup/glass is not as smooth as one would like.

The 800 does make a moderately loud vibrating noise which lasts a couple of seconds when turned on.* I was used to the old Sunbeam EM2300 single boiler which makes no noise when turned on so I thought this was odd too when it first happened.

I warm up the 800 for around 15 minutes with the PF in place, flush for 3 to 4 seconds, remove the PF, dry and grind into the PF and tamp, wipe the shower screen, attach the PF, texture the milk after letting the steam run for 40 to 50 seconds until its a dry steam and coming out at a good velocity. Clean steam wand and purge, allow machine to reduce thermoblock temperature and then pour the shot.

I remove the PF after a few minutes and the puck is usually dry and knocks out easily, flush water through the group head to clean, wipe and turn off.*

Try to use fresh roasted beans and grind on demand which just about everyone here will tell you is very important if you want to achieve great tasting espresso.

wow, thanks guys for all the info.
    There is certainly a lot to learn and try.
    Obviously Im a noob at this and think I will take 1 step at a time, from getting fresh beans from somewhere, maybe changing baskets at sometime and maybe modding the grinder etc.
    But Ive only had it going for a few days so still green at this.
    Was trying too much the other night and the wife said I wont sleep - as usual she was right - but hell, I enjoyed trying/testing :D

Experimenting is part of the learning process and I have always found this to be fun. When you change one variable (basket, grinder, beans) you have to dial everything in again until you get a decent shot.* I try not to swallow when tasting espresso when dialling in otherwise Id be unable to sleep at night. My palate is not great but I reckon I can taste the difference between a sour/bitter/good shot.

Once you start modifiying the machine with; new parts, extra parts, new grinder, fresh beans, different beans, youll be well and truly on the way (as iaindb also said) to coffee snobbery.

All sounds good except I am not sure about leaving the pf attached for 2-3 mins while you are texturing the milk. Some say you should not leave the grinds to be roasted under the brew head and should extract straight away

Quote Originally Posted by 293631293B5E0 link=1324876792/7#7 date=1325039904
    I also have the 800ES but paired with the Breville Smartgrinder and the Krups double shot single wall basket and matching tamper, both from Pullman Tampers (beautiful tamper).

I have also removed the black plastic base from the bottom of the PF as muck and grime can accumulate beneath this.* The design of the base of the PF (flat and ridged) means the flow from the basket to the PF into your espresso cup/glass is not as smooth as one would like.

The 800 does make a moderately loud vibrating noise which lasts a couple of seconds when turned on.* I was used to the old Sunbeam EM2300 single boiler which makes no noise when turned on so I thought this was odd too when it first happened.

I warm up the 800 for around 15 minutes with the PF in place, flush for 3 to 4 seconds, remove the PF, dry and grind into the PF and tamp, wipe the shower screen, attach the PF, texture the milk after letting the steam run for 40 to 50 seconds until its a dry steam and coming out at a good velocity. Clean steam wand and purge, allow machine to reduce thermoblock temperature and then pour the shot.

I remove the PF after a few minutes and the puck is usually dry and knocks out easily, flush water through the group head to clean, wipe and turn off.*

Try to use fresh roasted beans and grind on demand which just about everyone here will tell you is very important if you want to achieve great tasting espresso.

Agreed. Only attach the PF immediately before the shot. I actually only run the steam for long enough to purge the water, but I might see if waiting longer makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 2E233B2025222B4C0 link=1324876792/10#10 date=1326726272
    I am not sure about leaving the pf attached for 2-3 mins while you are texturing the milk.
    In the past few days Ive been attaching the PF after Ive textured the milk. The exact procedure has been to grind into the warmed up PF, tamp, leave aside, texture milk, flush brew head, attach PF and extract.

One drawback to doing that is that its hard to keep the milk moving whilst youre attaching the PF. Since picking up a couple of small Motta jugs, Ive taken to pouring the shot, then steaming the milk for one cup (much faster now).

The shot will sit for 30 seconds or so, but I pre-fill the jug and put it in the fridge before grinding the coffee into the PF and pouring the shot. I can then grab the milk out of the fridge while purging the steam wand, which makes the whole process quicker.

Doing it this way I can have the coffee poured before the PF is depressured and ready to remove from the group for the next shot. Helps the latte art when Im making multiple coffees too ;)

Ive found that with thermoblock machines, its easier to operate them with the milk steaming after the coffee, rather then before.

I know theres reason to do Milk Before-Coffee with Boilers without autofill, but with most thermoblocks, that doesnt appear to be that much of an issue.

Plus, if you have poured a shot, you tend to get a bit of a buildup of steam if its around the right grind (at least, if youre like me and pour Ristretto rather then Espresso shots)