• 2 Post By Coffee2Di4
  • 1 Post By Thaifan
  • 1 Post By LexiconDevil
  • 1 Post By PGH
  • 1 Post By rawill

Thread: Sunbeam Piccollo EM2800

Sunbeam Piccollo EM2800

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I started to become interested in coffee machines when Aldi brought out the Espressi for $79 - but wasnt convinced enough to buy one, due to lack of control over what ended up in the cup. And its appearance wasnt too endearing, either.

So, I started searching the Net for alternatives and considered the Breville Cafe Roma for around $158. But apparently they are so loud in operation, they can wake up a household.

Then I discovered that Harvey Norman was advertising a Sunbeam Piccollo expresso machine for $98. I thought I had remembered the price (was late night). Sunbeams RRP is $119.

Went next morning to Harveys & loved the look of the EM2800 machine. But, I wondered why the price was $98 and not $89 as I had remembered it. So, I asked why. They handed me a box and said $89! They indicated they would change the price in the afternoon. Right! Also bought the Sunbeam non burr coffee grinder for $32.

So, this 15 bar, thermo block, Italian designed and made Crema device with swinging remarkable frother, removable tank, with other kit for $89. The group handle filter part is doubled wall for back pressusre purposes. And Sunbeam claim it was designed with the assistance of an expert coffee judging panel.

I just keep looking at it and not believing the price. A barister who also had been a salesman for espresso machines awarded it 5 stars and described it as excellent in all respects. He believes its capability is 90% that of a professional machine.

And, I agree, except the cappuccinos seem superior to me, not that I bought more than one a week.

The machine is so simple to use and clean and it is quiet. It is built from stainless steel and plastic. Definitely not all plastic. The main brewing area, cup warmer, removable drip tray cover are all stainless steel.

Large mugs can be used by removing the drip tray cover from the drip tray itself - which slides out like a drawer. The machine vents off unused steam into the drip tray as one switches between pour and frother functions.

The frother is very efficient, - the barister felt close to a professional machine.

I have been using Harris Premium beans (using my grinder) and Coles pre-ground Fair Trade medium roast. Love the latter, the amoung of Crema is amazing. And Nestles mint flavour drinking cholcolate on top of the froth, is divine.

So glad I did spend hundreds or thousands on a machine that might well break down, or have frother pump problems as even expensive machines seem to develop.

The barister commented that salesman are always urged to try and sell the most expensive machine they could, knowing full well, they were no better than machines such as the Sunbeam Piccolo. ;D

Re: Sunbeam Piccollo EM2800

Hmmm, Im not so sure the EM2800 is all that good a machine, it certainly feels a lot flimsier then the next level up machines, and Im not sure that the baskets are the same as the other sunbeam/breville units, (those ones that we loooove to hate) that are easilly replaced with non-pressurised baskets

Dont believe the Hype and advertising from the "barister" turned PR director, Hes selling a product to the masses who dont know better as a 90% close to commercial models unit

Having said that, Its likely an effective machine. its certainly got the guts to make a darn good espresso or two, Provided you feed it the good beans, Stay away from the pre-ground coffee, its stale, Stay away from the supermarket coffee, its also stale (and has been stale for months) Coffee is best in its unground state within 1 week, to three weeks post roast period, after that, its gone off. Ground coffee lasts less then an hour.

I hope the Sunny Piccollo works for you, Its certainly a good start to know how the world of coffee works, but if you want really good coffee, youre going to have to upgrade sooner rather then later (that goes double/triple for the grinder)

(incidently, the Piccollo is sold in the US as the Jura Capresso EC100, for some reason, its RRP is like, the same level as the Breville cafe Roma :o )

Quote Originally Posted by 5E7367757A7B7C75536654736677120 link=1325377068/1#1 date=1325396040
    Dont believe the Hype and advertising from the "barister" turned PR director, Hes selling a product to the masses who dont know better as a 90% close to commercial models unit

Hmmmmmm, that is because the average barrister knows very little about coffee machines. Some baristas tend to know a bit more about coffee.

Mind you even then there are a lot of not so good ones out there. Mind you, the Italian word Barista means no more than a bartender.

;)

The important thing is you like the drinks you are making.

When you want to go to the next level try and source a single walled basket and using freshly roasted beans that have been freshly ground.

The double walled basket artificially creates crema from stale coffee and as such it wont work with fresh coffee that produces real crema.

rawill likes this.

No offence Thaifan, but this sounds like advertising for Sunbeam...

Not intended to be, I just wanted folks to know what you could get for $98 or, in my case $89. And it seemed this machine had not been previously mentioned on this forum.

However, I do think Sunbeam esspresso machines may be under rated. Though, I cant imagine paying up to $400 + for one, or any other machine for that matter.

The perfect cup of cappuccino is not the holy grail I am pursuing. If an inexpensive machine can produce a passable cup that satisfies for the few minutes of consuming, that will do me.

The EM2800 has a 12 month warranty, and I expect to get $89 worth of value out of it. After that, if it breaks down, I will buy another not too expensive machine, which again would likely be a Sunbeam or Breville, simply because they are affordable and not likely to cause too much anguish if they break down. ;)
    rawill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D4148404F4847290 link=1325377068/5#5 date=1325482851
    However, I do think Sunbeam esspresso machines may be under rated. Though, I cant imagine paying up to $400 + for one, or any other machine for that matter.
    That is just so cute! Its adorable! :D

I suppose we all started that way. I remember, it was late in 2000. I thought, "Heck! $120 should be PLENTY for a machine that just makes coffee. A few weeks later I dropped about $800 on a machine, a grinder, and a roaster.

That seems like a decade ago. it wasnt. It was eleven years. Today, my grinder is worth about double that first purchases invoice. The burrs for my grinder would cost more than the esspresso [sic] machine you are considering.

Funny how times and priorities change. For me... Lifes too short to drink bad coffee, and that is what those department store, throw-away machines create- bad coffee. If your goal is great coffee there ware better ways to spend your $$. if it has to be espresso regardless of the quality of the beverage, enjoy.

mulquemi likes this.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 79454C444B4C432D0 link=1325377068/0#0 date=1325377068
    A barister who also had been a salesman for espresso machines awarded it 5 stars
    He clearly was no barrister then...Did he charge you by the minute?* ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 79454C444B4C432D0 link=1325377068/0#0 date=1325377068
    The barister commented that salesman are always urged to try and sell the most expensive machine they could, knowing full well, they were no better than machines such as the Sunbeam Piccolo
    Back to flogging cheapo TVs for him I think. He clearly failed coffee #101.... ::)

Quote Originally Posted by 7F434A424D4A452B0 link=1325377068/0#0 date=1325377068
    So, this 15 bar, thermo block, Italian designed and made
    Ahh....the Chinese prefecture of Italy.... ;)

Part of me wonders if this was a bait post. If not Thai, why not hang around, learn from those who do actually know what theyre talking about (and are not paid by the minute) and then revisit your post in a couple of years.

Enjoy the ride ;)
    Yakk372 likes this.

Reply to cjn

Yes it is made in China - like the Brevilles and no doubt many others.

But if the handbook states the Crema device was designed and made in Italy, why would I not believe those devices are not shipped to the assembly plant?

But it was not designed in China, and I have no qualms about the build quality of Chinese products or their capability of design either ... such as in my Hisense 47 inch LED TV - which was by no means cheap at $1500.

Incidentally, the EM2800 has exactly the same specifications as dearer Sunbeam machines. So why pay more?

Perhaps I am not coffee snobbish enough for this Forum! :-/

Ignore all the nay-sayers, Thaifan - we all started somewhere at one point in time.

I, too, started with a $98 Breville Bar-Aroma back at the beginning of my coffee journey, and worked my way up from there.* There is nothing wrong with a cheap machine if it suits your purposes, and that is precisely why we have a "Sub $300" Posting Section in CoffeeSnobs.

Stick around, search the site and ask as many questions as you want - there are many people willing to help you along your path.

My one piece of advice is not about your budget, but about your coffee beans, because that is something that you can control piece by piece:-

1.* Always search for as freshly a roasted bean as you can find.* Generally Supermarket beans are stale before you open the bag.* Your best bet is to either purchased roasted from Andy in the BeanBay area, source them from a Sponsor, or find a local Cafe that sells them.

2.* When you buy freshly roasted beans, always ask them what the roast date is, if it isnt on the bag, because not all cafes sell fresh beans and its a pretty good indicator if they cant telll you - unless the boss isnt around and its an unknowledgeable person behind the coffee machine.

3.* Store Coffee Beans in a cool, dark place, but preferably not the fridge or freezer.* In a cool cupboard is the best place.

4.* The 3 Bean Rule - coffee starts going stale 3 weeks after roasting and 3 minutes after grinding.* There is also an additional one, but pertains to green unroasted beans.

5.* Once you start sourcing freshly roasted coffee beans, modify your double-walled basket, or source a single-walled basket, for your machine because fresh beans will more than likely choke in a double-walled basket.* This can be fairly easily achieved if you do a site search on modifying a double-walled basket to a single-walled basket and usually involves a Dremel and a deft hand.

And, by all means, keep us posted as to your journey (Note:* Betcha, if you follow my advice, youll have dropped more money on a coffee machine, a good grinder and probably be roasting your own coffee within a couple of years...it happens to the best of us!!! ;D )

Cheers
    Di
    rawill and mulquemi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 18242D252A2D224C0 link=1325377068/8#8 date=1325489942
    Perhaps I am not coffee snobbish enough for this Forum!

not yet, but stick around :)

your enthusism is good but you have a lot to learn, do lots of reading, ask some questions and your coffee knowledge and "barista" skills will increase ten-fold, youll look back on this post in a couple of years time and realise how much you have learnt and developed. Thats a good thing 8-)

Thanks Di & Trentski

The thing is I am simply delighted as it is with the cappuccinos I am making with this machine.

A short time ago I made another large cappuccino using the "stale" Coles Fair Trade medium roast I bought recently.

I swear, I have never bought a cappuccino as good, as creamy or as frothy, despite the grind possibly being 6 months old. And using lite milk.

That has been the case with the beans I ground myself, or the Grinders Crema.

So, despite the price and that it was made in China (what isnt?), the machine has great potential, and I will try fresh beans or at least a grind from Belaroma.

Look, I could afford hundreds of coffee makers at $1000 each. I have been work long enough to enable that. But, if I can find a machine for less than $100 that makes coffee better than take away coffee bars .... why would I pay more?

The thing is, I now think that take away cappuccinos from machines making assembly line coffee, isnt as good as coffee drinkers think.

I bought one of Aldis milk frothers for my Department at work, and whilst it makes impressive froth, the EM2800 using steam instead of a whisk/milk heater like the Aldi Espressi frother, makes even creamier and better froth. And for either machine, I use lite milk.

The Aldi frother by the one, is beautifully made (in China) and it is hard to believe it costs only $19. Other brands in Department stores cost around $73.

There will be lots of people who join this Forum, who buy low cost machines - probably to around $150, who simply want to know how to make a good cup of coffee, - not the ultimate cup of coffee.

And some will probably check this Forum out to see if anyone thinks a cheap machine (and what Brand & model it is) can make respectable coffee.

So, I suggest to them, yes they can! Technology is making it possible at cheaper prices.* :)

Quote Originally Posted by 09353C343B3C335D0 link=1325377068/8#8 date=1325489942
    Incidentally, the EM2800 has exactly the same specifications as dearer Sunbeam machines. So why pay more?
    Okay, just on this point alone. For starters, Compared to the other $400+ sunbeam and breville models, I ask the question "how much does your group handle (the thing you put the basket thingy in) weigh?

The Piccilo has a very chinzy group handle compared to the upper range machines, it feels like its made out of plastic, and very flimsy (The one Ive actually picked up and had a look at, the handle slid off the group as I removed it from the machine :o, I wasnt even trying to pull it apart either!)

Compared to say, the Breville BES800 (which retails for around the $400 mark), which has a chromed brass group handle, it not only feels more solid, it also retains heat better.

Like I said in my previous post, The piccolo is a very worthwhile starting point, but it is built down to a low low cost. You can only go so far with the cheap machines. and they tend to stifle you earlier then more expensive machines.* I started off with an EM2300, and I feel it was a much better machine for the money then the replacement (the handle didnt fall off when I un-hooked the group head from the machine for one). for a few dollars more, you could have got an EM3600, with a more solid footprint and a full metal body, sure the portafilters not heavy brass, but its less likely to fall apart under normal use.

The group handle is quite heavy, as the basket holder is solid metal. And there is no way the quite solid handle part could separate from the metal basket holder.

It all seems perfectly satisfactory to me, a good weight. But, since when, does a heavy metal basket holder of a group handle make better coffee than a lighter metal alloy?

I am very happy with the build of the machine, if I felt it was shoddy, in any sense, I wouldnt have bought it.

If any others of you want to ridicule this machine - go for it and show of your snobbishness to full effect ... it will simply show you live up to the Forums name.

Any reader thinking about buying this machine, - buy the EM2800 with confidence. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 665A535B54535C320 link=1325377068/13#13 date=1325499086
    since when, does a heavy metal basket holder of a group handle make better coffee than a lighter metal alloy?

Since they started making espresso. Like I said in an earlier post addressed to you, do alot of reading. The temperature stability of your group handle is espresso making 101 ;)

Anything else?

But dont bother to tell me, as I have now disabled notifications and will not further participate on this Forum.

Why cant you get it that I like this machine, - I am not interested in reading up on any technical data.

When this machine breaks down after warranty, I will buy the latest replacement model.

Ill bet you are hanging out at your computer for another take!

LexiconDevil likes this.

Can someone tell me how to embed a smiley, please? I really want to insert a dummy spit smiley in here, but dont know how to...how frustrating!!!

Ill just have to settle for a rolling eyes smiley, I guess...um, here goes... ::)

:)

Quote Originally Posted by 4478717976717E100 link=1325377068/15#15 date=1325504273
    Anything else?

But dont bother to tell me, as I have now disabled notifications and will not further participate on this Forum.

Why cant you get it that I like this machine, - I am not interested in reading up on any technical data.

When this machine breaks down after warranty, I will buy the latest replacement model.

Ill bet you are hanging out at your computer for another take!
    Yep, several things.
    1. Ive been following this thread and expected your last post much earlier.
    2. This *is* an internet forum. Google/Wiki what that means.
    3. The advice given here is free,* commercial-free and hardly "technical".
    4. Most of us lurk for a long time before first posting.* Youdve learn a lot about this forum if you had too.
    5. Youre still lurking so why not read more threads now.
    6. If youre still not happy dont forget your bat and ball.

Hmmm, being the owner of the EM2300, I was curious about the new EM2800.* When I managed to see one in a store I thought it looked like a piece of cheaply made rubbish, the buttons were loose with too much play, the PF chrome plated aluminium and not heavy at all when compared to an equivalent brass PF.

The EM2300 had a single boiler whilst this has a thermoblock.* The steam wand looked impressive but I reckon the chrome would wear off after a few months.

For the time being, Im making do with an 800ES, saving for a BES900 and enjoy learning about coffee, poor Thaifan seems to have fallen victim of the Sunbeam text in the instruction manual.

We all started somewhere.....

Hm, dont know if Thaifan is still reading, but he/shes hit the nail on the head on a number of points here:

Quote Originally Posted by 5F636A626D6A650B0 link=1325377068/11#11 date=1325497009
    The thing is I am simply delighted as it is with the cappuccinos I am making with this machine.
    Theres nothing wrong with that - be happy where you are and eager to learn.

A short time ago I made another large cappuccino using the "stale" Coles Fair Trade medium roast I bought recently.

I swear, I have never bought a cappuccino as good, as creamy or as frothy, despite the grind possibly being 6 months old. And using lite milk.
    Probably because most cafes dont know how to make good coffee...

Look, I could afford hundreds of coffee makers at $1000 each. I have been work long enough to enable that. But, if I can find a machine for less than $100 that makes coffee better than take away coffee bars .... why would I pay more?

The thing is, I now think that take away cappuccinos from machines making assembly line coffee, isnt as good as coffee drinkers think.
    Also spot on - most cafes (up here at least) make stale, burnt, over-extracted, bitter coffee from old grinds ground yesterday from old beans. Its not hard to better than that. And most drinkers sit there sipping it saying its great.

Again, if youre happy with youre coffee from a $89 machine who are we to say that they are just "unenlightened" and theyll "see it our way eventually"?

So, despite the price and that it was made in China (what isnt?),
    my espresso machine for a start...
    the machine has great potential, and I will try fresh beans or at least a grind from Belaroma.
    Im happy that youre willing to try some suggestions from here. I take a bit of issue with the fact that you think youve reached the limit of taste, but I can see how some of the suggestions from here may seem patronizing (although they are not intended to be) its just that there are lots of people asking the same questions, and the quickest way to answer is to tell the truth simply and plainly - take it or leave it, its a fact that you should be able to get even better tasting coffee by trying the unpressurised basket & fresh beans ideas. You could leave your cafes for dead. Dont deny its possible until youve tried it, refined it, and tried it again.

Thats all I have to say for now :)

I did login to see what washup there was.

Reply to Mr Bill in Tasmania

You didnt see an EM2800, as it has no chrome whatever, and it has no buttons - except the power on -off button which is very firm in its action. Just a knob to turn left or right.

The body I repeat is stainless steel and plastic.

The cup warmer is quite heavy gauge stainless steel.

There are too many people on this Forum who are putting this machine down, as they are either mistaken in what they they saw, or just make things up.* :-/

And now, I really dont think there is anything else I want to say on this thread, or any other.

Please continue to post, this is hilarious :)

This is a forum to help improve peoples coffee with tips and tricks gained from their own experiences, which some have shared with the most important fact, being fresh beans!

P.s. I thought this was a troll when I first stumbled upon this, then I saw 20 posts sh^& whats going on here? ;D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4C6B7D6F77040 link=1325377068/16#16 date=1325505747
    Can someone tell me how to embed a smiley, please? I really want to insert a dummy spit smiley in here, but dont know how to...how frustrating!!!

Ill just have to settle for a rolling eyes smiley, I guess...um, here goes...* ::)

:)
    Hi Di,

You need to host it elsewhere and then embed it as you would another graphic- like this one for example .

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 122E272F202728460 link=1325377068/15#15 date=1325504273
    Quote Originally Posted by 122E272F202728460 link=1325377068/20#20 date=1325539031
    And now, I really dont think there is anything else I want to say on this thread, or any other.
    Promises, promises.

Look -
    If you are happy with the coffee - great.
    If you think you have reached the peak of your coffee making potential - great.
    If you are not interested in striving for anything beyond what you have - thats your choice.

But there is no point getting snarky with a group of people who are trying to let you know there is more to it than you might think.

Some people here have been into coffee for 20+ years, and are STILL learning.

You might get a great coffee from a $89 machine. You might get a great coffee from a $15 plunger, but to close your mind to the possibility that it can get better, thats just foolish.

"One thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing." - Socrates

Brett.

Cool, thanks Chris!

Something like this, then:-

Actually, Im adding this one also, because I found it while I was trawling for the perfect dummy spit smiley and it was just too cute not to share...

There was a stack of others, I wanted to post as well, but probably werent appropriate for a Mod to post, unfortunately (and given Andys request that we dont post moving stuff due to it taking up the server...whoops, no more, I promise!)

Quote Originally Posted by 172B222A25222D430 link=1325377068/20#20 date=1325539031
    I did login to see what washup there was.

Reply to Mr Bill in Tasmania

You didnt see an EM2800, as it has no chrome whatever, and it has no buttons - except the power on -off button which is very firm in its action. Just a knob to turn left or right.

The body I repeat is stainless steel and plastic.

The cup warmer is quite heavy gauge stainless steel.

There are too many people on this Forum who are putting this machine down, as they are either mistaken in what they they saw, or just make things up.* :-/

Hi Thaifan,

The unit I looked at was located in Target Launceston. I have attached a photo of the same unit, it was certainly the EM2800.* As said, I have the basic (no longer used) EM2300 which is largely plastic, feels like a toy and has some stainless steel (drip tray and top warming plate, glued onto the plastic casing).

The EM2800 model I looked at had a lot of play in the on/off switch, the steam wand appeared substantial and appeared to me to be chrome plated.* The stainless steel you refer to are the glued on panels over the plastic on the top housing and warming plate.* The drip tray cover may have been made of stainless steel.* The PF is a lightweight chrome plated alluminium (like that of the EM2300). If you feel the weight of medium and higher level machines from both Sunbeam and Breville, they tend to be chrome plated brass and give better thermal stability.

I wasnt having a dig at you but in my opinion, when I looked at the EM2800 in store, I was comparing the build quality to that of my EM2300 and felt the EM2300 had better build quality.

I have also owned a EM5600 and now a Breville 800ES, both of which are just above entry level machines.* I use a good grinder (BCG800), grind on demand fresh roasted beans and use a single wall double shot basket.* I tamp with a Pullman Tamper.

I too used to use supermarket beans with dual wall basket and thought the taste was better than most bought coffee which tells me that most bought coffee isnt the best.* Since using fresh roasted beans, single wall basket and a decent grinder, the taste, IMHO, is much better.

Still, if youre happy with what youve got, thats great, it seems most of us here in this entry level section of the market use these lower priced machines to learn about the art of making decent coffee and yearn for a better machine that gives better control and therefore, consistency.*

At the end of the day, it comes down to taste of the coffee. :)

This sort of thread is very similar to what we get on brewing forums.

"Just tasted my first beer made from the concentrate that came with the kit i got for xmas and its a million times better than commercial beer".

A few years later they are growing their own hops, milling fresh grain, spending far too much money on stainless equipment, playing about with complicated mashing regimes, and kegging system to have the beer on tap. I know because i have done the exact same thing with both beer and wine. And now I am here.

I spent the best part of a year lurking on this site, checking ebay auctions for the cheaper espresso machines and then searching through reviews on this site to see whether it was any good. In the end i bought the lower end sunbeam (EM5900) and a grinder (EM0450) to dip my toe in the water. Was still using supermarket beans and was very happy with myself.

Then i visited a colleague who had a Rancilio machine and was using fresh roasted beans from a local supplier. Ive since started buying my beans from the same local roaster on a fortnightly basis.

I am not even worthy to be called a snob but as time goes by i hope to learn more, upgrade equipment and then get into roasting.

If i wasnt interested i wouldnt have joined a forum called coffeesnobs.

Cheers
    DrSmurto

p.s. i looked at the $100 machines at some non-sponsors (KMart, Target etc) and they always felt so flimsy. My partners parents have a Sunbeam EM4800 and its a struggle to get a decent espresso out of it.

dazr33

I was the same and didnt really want to spend over $100 -200 on a coffee machine, however, I went thru 2 of the sunbeam piccolos; The first one had a problem with the water tank not sitting down on the inlet properly and it kept sucking in air instead of water, took it back and got a replacement which lasted about a month and then it started blowing steam out the group head instead of the steam wand when i was trying to froth milk. I did have a few occasions where the handle unscrewed and fell off the brewing head which im guessing is because i ground the coffee too fine (Ive got that little sunbeam grinder where you have to guess how long to grind it before its the right grind).

Im not a barista or anything, but Ill defend the poster in saying the coffees i made were nice and alot better tasting then some of the fast ones you get through gloria jeans and mccafe and even some cafes and I even made a few cups for friends that came over that were surprised with how good the coffee tasted (and I only used the cheap old supermarket brands vittoria and harris pre ground coffee).

After the second one broke down I spent a whole $50 more and got the EM3600. It certainly feels alot heavier and has a hot water function out the steam wand and the group handle feels alot more solid, and the same for the thicker tamper/measuring spoon that comes with it. When using the steam wand it seems to slowly wind up and takes about 5 -10 seconds before steam starts blasting out at the required rate, whereas the picollo was almost instaneous with its steam. However the coffee it makes tastes exactly the same as picollo and both produce similar results. Only thing i can complain about is the lack of microfoam in the crema on top of the expresso sometimes (looks more like a beer head) but thats most likely due to stale cheap supermarket coffee.

If your lucky and get a good picollo that doesnt break down then excellent. Im waiting to see how long the em3600 lasts. Hopefully quiet a few years or at least until the warantee ends this time.

Will try a better coffee when i find a descent place in newcastle australia to buy it..

Rusty1989

I actually bought one of these today. Very new to the coffee game and just wanted something simple to start out. Thanks for the reccomendation Thaifan :)

The EM2300 was a nice little machine to learn on.* It was a single boiler with nice proportional control of the steam pressure.* When I first used a thermoblock machine I had no idea what the "tunk, tunk, tunk" noise was.* I also didnt like the all or nothing steam knobs but Im used to it now.

I have a Breville 800ES now which took me a while to adapt to.* The BES900 will hopefully come later this year!

pretty cool thread.ya get that about anything on forums like the beer brewer guy up there says

but still the drip filter machines gone tits up in the outer room after a gazillion years finally so we took up a collection and have about 150 bills & change to splurge on a new coffee making apparatus.A quick jump in the google mobile shows us a few options (found this thread by googling the sunbeam piccolo) we did float the idea earlier in the year about a machine but was a bit of a minefield and the 4 figure price tags scared a few people away too.But we all know how the steps go

we're all on $2 7-11 coffee at the moment but I think someones going to come back with a jug & tin of international roast so we don't keep leaving every hour for 20 minutes
    chokkidog likes this.

PGH
    Piccolo was my first machine. After spending $1000+ bucks on a grinder there was little money left in my pocket. Got a very lightly used one off ebay for $10, made the basket single wall, put in some fresh coffee and BAMO was making some respectable coffee. Used the steam wand once, that was a waste of time, but didnt care as I mainly like black. The only other fault was the alloy taste because the boiler/group head was corroding. Now I have Nikkita my piccolo is just a faint memory and buckets of milk are plenty.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    rawill likes this.

Just bought one of these as my Breville 860 stopped working. Found it hard to get much information before purchasing so I'd like to comment on this old thread. Couldn't get anything near a drinkable shot with the dual wall basket, and the steam wand doesn't provide a consistent steam. I do like the plastic construction which is easy to clean and won't corrode. Speaking of rust, there are signs of it inside the group handle and jug after only one day of use.
    Keep in mind there is no water filter.
    It's necessary to remove the basket to wash away the coffee from inside the group handle after every use, as it has a little area below the basket which i assume is to increase the pressure.
    Also the coffee pucks are always wet and messy.
    Having said all this, If you're prepared to modify the dual wall basket to single wall, use a proper grinder, and show some patience with the steam, its possible to get nice coffee from this machine.
    Oh and one last thing, the tamper is absolute rubbish, its horrible to use.

Rbn
    Great thread, and couldn't agree more that we all have to start somewhere.

My first machine was a Breville Bar Aroma, about the same as the Piccollo.
    I am glad I got started there, or I wouldn't have learnt what I have now.

No need to bag the learners, we all started somewhere near the start, and it all depends how far we want to go on our coffee journey.

Same as wine, beer etc.
    lixegel likes this.