Thread: Sunbeam EM4820 Cafe Crema II question (Water got stuck on the ground,cuz of the pressurised basket?)

Sunbeam EM4820 Cafe Crema II question (Water got stuck on the ground,cuz of the pressurised basket?)

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

I have been using my cheap russelhopps machine for few months and it was working well but since a while ago its pressure pump doesnt work well (the piston-spring system, water stained on the filter with no crema on the cup) so I brought it to back the retail and paid extra for a Sunbeam EM4820 ytd as I heard its a better brand (I simply want sth nice and reliable).

I was so excited to make my first espresso with the new machine. However, I tried the same degree of fine as I used before with the russelhopps but it seems water just couldnt get through the grounds well.....it doesnt pour the espresso smoothly ,the brew looks a bit water-like (but with crema tho...)

then I remove the PF, check the top of the basket...water was stained on the basket filter...thus I tried the coarser ground (a manual grinder btw) and used the bigger 2 shots filter rather than the 1 shot filter...it shows the same result...

I did a bit research on this forum and its user manual...
    Im guess if the "crema enhanced" designed filter could be the reason or not...or sth I gotta do with its pressure for the first time....or any other reason...

These are what I used for the coffee:
    A Sunbeam EM4820 Cafe Crema II
    A Manual coffee grinder
    A curve shape tamper
    Fresh ground beans straight before brewing (from supermarket tho...)

Look forward to your replies* :)
    Could show video and pics if necessary

Re: Sunbeam EM4820 Cafe Crema II question (Water got stuck on the ground,cuz of the pressurised basket?)

Hi NelsonLSY, Im a little confused by some abbreviations and names of parts - lets see if I get this right...

Quote Originally Posted by 143F362935341609035A0 link=1325734977/0#0 date=1325734977
    water stained on the filter with no crema on the cup
    the filter is the bit that holds the coffee - do you mean the shower screen (where the water comes out)?
    so I brought it to back the retail and paid extra for a Sunbeam EM4820 ytd as I heard its a better brand (I simply want sth nice and reliable).
    At this price point its much of a muchness - theyre toaster / kettle type machines, so go with what looks and feels best to you.

I was so excited to make my first espresso with the new machine. However, I tried the same degree of fine as I used before
    each machine / grinder / packet of beans / barista / day will need a different grind setting, so adjust it as necessary until it comes out right.

then I remove the PF, check the top of the basket...water was stained on the basket filter...thus I tried the coarser ground (a manual grinder btw) and used the bigger 2 shots filter rather than the 1 shot filter...it shows the same result...
    not quite sure what you mean by stained, or by "basket filter". Do you mean the puck (the block of wet coffee grinds left over) is sloppy?

Could show video and pics if necessary
    maybe a picture of the problem area would help explain it.

Re: Sunbeam EM4820 Cafe Crema II question (Water got stuck on the ground,cuz of the pressurised basket?)

Thanks for the reply and sorry that english is not my first language

Like after each brewing it could produce a lot of fake crema but the coffee ground in the filter basket (the one in the handle) arent dried (like mud with water)

rather than the ground too fine,Could the pressurised filter basket be the reason tat water got stuck on the ground beans?

Yea the puck is sloppy after brewing

Quote Originally Posted by 755E574854557768623B0 link=1325734977/2#2 date=1325825449
    that english is not my first language
    no problems at all - just wanted to make sure I had understood you right!

Yes the pressurised basket is a very likely reason for a sloppy puck. You can try grinding finer and tamping softer, or putting less grinds in to start with, but I think if you start with a non-pressurised basket youll start to see improvements.

Beware that a non-pressurised basket means you wont get any more fake creama of those supermarket beans :)

Thank you so much...as long as i could get the right puck then i gu
    ess i will back onto the right path...i wil go grab one tmr and see how it goes..

I was stil able to get a dry puck and reasonable crema with my previous russelhobbs from supermarket beans with its unpressurised basket(or maybe tat wasnt...)

Thanks a lot anyway: )

as far as I know the Russell Hobbs uses some sort of pressurised basket as well, although I cant be 100% sure. Most "cheaper" machines do - but some are in the portafilter, some are in the basket itself.

I just got this machine yesterday
    wasnt able to play last night as it makes fair bit of noise
    but today first 2 runs i had same problems but managed to "fix" it
    i use the 480 grinder at 13 setting
    without being able to see it best i can describe this is half way between table salt and flour, hope that helps

then i fill in the filter, level off with my finger, tamp it down not too hard then top up filter with more coffee and tamp it down bit firmer now but dont go crazy, twist at the end and then clean up the eges.

make sure you brew first (steam milk leter)

with this steps i get ~30-40sec pour for double shot and the puck is nice and dry, when i use bang bang bin (or whatever you call it) it goes out nice and without sticking to the middle bar in the bin.

coffee isnt half bad as well

so far very happy with my em4820 machine

just have to practice milk texturing

Rbn

The above post is very much like the way I do it. I probably tamp mine too hard, and polish it too much.

A secret is in the way you fill the basket as described above. With a single shot cup, it is hard to get it right.
    but with the two shot cup it is much easier.