Thread: Sunbeam EM3600 - Noob Questions

Sunbeam EM3600 - Noob Questions

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I purchased a Sunbeam EM3600 about a year ago,
    and it has been serving me pretty well up until recently
    (I have a Breville BarAroma for fresh grinding of beans).

A couple days ago, it seemed to have lost almost all pressure,
    out of both the main espresso... opening... and the steam wand.

I thought "Damn, its shot" but I took the casing apart and couldnt see anything wrong,
    then, upon reassembly, it seemed to work properly.

I figure it might have been jammed with something, somewhere,
    and it possibly cleared itself during the jiggling of taking it apart.

This lead me to revisit these forums in search of others having issues,
    which lead me to revisit my entire coffee making schemes
    so I have some questions!

Im still using the factory group and the factory dual-walled baskets.
    One of the things I read to do was to remove the black plastic piece in the group.
    I did that just now, and it opens up a third hole, which resulted in a few seconds of a good pour,
    which promptly turned into a "spray in all directions" pour.

Would removing a wall and drilling more holes perhaps help this?
    Should I be jamming that middle hole up with something?

I have an extra double-shot basket and a dremel,
    so does anyone have a link to a thread detailing the de-walling process?

Ive been using the terrible factory plastic tamper,
    and Ive read all over the place that you should get a proper heavy one,
    but I cant understand why it would make such a difference
    if you put the same amount of pressure on the plastic one.

Can someone enlighten me on why the heavy tamper makes that much of a difference?

Sorry for the wall of text,
    I just like to be thorough!

Cheers.

Re: Sunbeam EM3600 - Noob Questions

Quote Originally Posted by 39303C33293538345D0 link=1325811896/0#0 date=1325811896
    One of the things I read to do was to remove the black plastic piece in the group.
    I did that just now, and it opens up a third hole, which resulted in a few seconds of a good pour,
    which promptly turned into a "spray in all directions" pour.
    removing the black piece is fine - some people plug it up, some dont. Depends if you need exactly 2 spouts for splitting into 2 cups.

The spray is because youre still using the pressurised filter - it starts off slow but once the pressure builds up behind the tiny pinhole, it rushes out of that hole with enough force to reach the other side of the room!
    Quote Originally Posted by 39303C33293538345D0 link=1325811896/0#0 date=1325811896
    Would removing a wall and drilling more holes perhaps help this?
    Yep youll need to modify / find / buy an unpressurised basket if you remove the black plastic insert.

Hi dmanthei,

As iaindb said above, itll spray everywhere with the black plastic "crema" thing removed if youre still using the pressurised baskets and you havent plugged that hole somehow.

I purchased the Breville BSWF100 unpressurised single and double basket set for my EM3600 and they fit exactly the same as the original Sunbeam ones; in fact, they looked mostly identical. Easier than cutting the bottom floor off the originals unless you have the right gear (which I didnt). Attached is a comparison photo.

I removed the black plastic thing and plugged the screw hole in the centre with the end of a silicon screw. They seem to work well cause they can compress a bit, meaning you can squeeze it in the hole and then itll expand to very effectively seal it. As an experiment I tried the pressurised basket in it while just pumping water through and the plug held up just fine to the high pressure spray coming from the pin hole.

Hope this helps! :)

Regards,
    Harlan

Quote Originally Posted by 2D243729242B2F450 link=1325811896/2#2 date=1326327058
    I removed the black plastic thing and plugged the screw hole in the centre with the end of a silicon screw.
    Great, thats exactly what I need to do too! Where would be a good place to get a silicone screw from?

Thanks!

Hi Papagoose,

I used the end of a silicone screw from my computer case. The rear fan is held in place with silicone screws to reduce vibration noise. This type of silicone screw has a long "threaded" section that seems to be for pulling the screw through whatever hole it is going in; that long section is not necessary once a computer fan is installed so that is the part I cut off to use.

I just googled computer fan silicone screw and found some useful results for the same thing. Computer shops would probably have them too.

Regards,
    Harlan

hahaaha thanks Harlan, I am a bit of a computer person myself, and it completely slipped my mind that I already had those silicone screws in my computer! I took one off a fan and put it in the portafilter, it plugs it perfectly :)

Excellent! Good luck with your coffee :)