Thread: sunbeam EM4820 basket size vs other sunbeams?

sunbeam EM4820 basket size vs other sunbeams?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    looking at buying unpressurised baskets but one of threads mentioned that this machine is 53mm and not 51mm
    could anyone confirm this and if it is in fact 53mm what options do i have for unpressurised baskets?

TIA

Re: sunbeam EM4820 basket size vs other sunbeams?

Quote Originally Posted by 51607D71120 link=1330676152/0#0 date=1330676152
    looking at buying unpressurised baskets but one of threads mentioned that this machine is 53mm and not 51mm
    could anyone confirm this and if it is in fact 53mm what options do i have for unpressurised baskets?

TIA
    I believe that Breville part a 53mm unpressurised baskets for the BES860

Thatd be the most effective way of going about sourcing something, Not sure if it will fit in the EM4280 though

Failing that, you could just modify the thing with ten minutes of your time and a dremel cutter

thanks for your post, managed to find them on breville website so regardless what size my machine is (will messure later) I can buy unpressurised baskets :D

does anyone know of retailer in melbourne that stocks breville accessories or ordering via phone with breville is the only way to get this?

ok got it all figured out now, though i share my findings for anyone with same machine looking for unpressurised baskets in future as well.

em4820 seem to have same group handle as em5900, they are the ones without plastic sticking out on the outlets but they are 51mm like all the other popular entry models from sunbeam/breville and not 53mm as one post on this forum indicated as possibility.

i confirmed my findings by messuring inside of the orginal baskets at ~51.5mm
    so i believe the normal breville 51mm set of unpressurised baskets will fit in just fine.

my machine developed bit of a problem so i took it back
    moved to breville now

my machine developed bit of a problem so i took it back
    Can we assume that the problem was unrelated to the basket you were using?

I have just acquired the Sunbeam and have been looking into unpressurized filter baskets.* I wasnt sure where to measure, but when I measured the inside of the double filter basket it seemed larger than 51mm.* Did you get a chance to try the Breville basket in the Sunbeam?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 6E626B6B68687A62606F6C790D0 link=1330676152/5#5 date=1340336273
    Did you get a chance to try the Breville basket in the Sunbeam?
    We have a Sunbeam EM3800 which uses 51mm baskets. We tried both the Krups and Breville 800ES unpressurised baskets. We found the 2 cup Breville basket used with a good tamper and a bit of temperature surfing achieved a very good result. We also have a Saeco Via Venezia and are still experimenting but cant say its substantially different from the EM3800 with the Breville basket and correct brewing. I didnt find the Krups basket as good as the Breville as it had a looser fit and popped out with knocking out the grinds after brewing. I also think the Krups holds slightly less than the Breville. If your trying to source the Breville unpressurised baskets they come as a 2 filter set (1 & 2 cup) only and are for the 800ES machine. They are called Single Wall Filter Set BSWF100. Be sure to say you have a 800ES machine or Breville wont supply you.

Ooh, thanks for alll the detail. I take it you bought them directly from Breville or a Breville authorized repair shop? One of the repair shops is near me so I might try them next week.

Im having trouble with the Sunbeam filter popping out when I try to empty the grinds. Im hoping the Grindenstein thats coming next week will help to alleviate that, but also that using the unpressurized basket will as well. Hopefully it wont have a negative effect on the quality of my coffees, as my husband is pretty impressed with them at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 565A53535050425A58575441350 link=1330676152/7#7 date=1340433358
    I take it you bought them directly from Breville or a Breville authorized repair shop?
    I did buy from an authorised Breville repair/parts shop. Had to quote the Breville 800ES as my machine and the Single Wall Filter Set BSWF100 as the item I wanted. Took about 2 weeks for some reason and were about $29 from memory when I picked up. As others have said it does make a difference but you need to experiment to get the best result for each type of fresh bean you use.* Dont get too stuck on what grind settings others are using. Taste is the main indicator and we found quickly that grinding too fine produced a bitter brew. I think we use around a 9 or 10 on an EM0480 which is 1 or 2 months old. You didnt mention which model machine you have? I think the EM6900 and EM6910 use a 58mm basket? If you measure the inside of you standard basket it should be 51-52mm to use the baskets I quoted.;)

Thanks. I have the EM4820. I measured it to confirm it was 51mm, but it came up more like 52mm. I wasnt sure if I was measuring it right. Still dont have the grinder yet. Im hoping to get a Breville Smart Grinder this week.

Quote Originally Posted by 333F36363535273F3D323124500 link=1330676152/9#9 date=1340593426
    Still dont have the grinder yet.* Im hoping to get a Breville Smart Grinder this week.
    Good choice. Youll have lots of fun experimenting with grinds in the knowledge youve bought a capable grinder. There are lots of other variables to play with too including tamping pressure, temperature surfing, grind dose etc.

I managed to get the grinder this week. Im still trying to figure out how to set the right doses for the portafilters at the moment, but the grind is so much finer and more consistent that Im not tamping nearly as hard now as I was before. With the pressurised baskets (Im still waiting for the unpressurised baskets to come in) I had to dial back the fineness because the machine seemed to be struggling to get much water to go through.