Thread: What to pair with a Gaggia MDF?

What to pair with a Gaggia MDF?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Im a newbie to this site and to "proper" coffee, having just attended a barista training a week ago.

I have been enjoying freshly roasted coffee beans from one of the site sponsors, prepared with my Aeropress and the Gaggia MDF (which I decided to prioritize after reading a lot of feedback from this site).

Now my question is, which espresso machine should I save up for, with a budget of only $350 (ideally less)? I was looking at the Saeco Via Venezia and a few of the entry level (and really cheap) Sunbeam machines 3600, 3800, 5600). Im itching to try out an espresso machine both for practice, and also because I would like to have a proper latte (which I cant have with the aeropress). In your experience would it be okay to start off with those cheap Sunbeams while I improve my technique? Im a bit worried that the Saeco VV would be too advanced (and expensive!) for my skill level atm, plus if I choose that Id have to wait a little bit longer (whereas I could possibly start off with a sunbeam within the next week).

I had looked at purchasing pre-loved machines but Im just not sure what to look out for so Ive decided not to go that road.

Many thanks in advance :)

Re: What to pair with a Gaggia MDF?

For what its worth, once I got a second-hand Sunbeam EM 0480 Grinder, the coffee I could make out of my completel rubbish EM3500 became really good (with a LOT of attention to detail!) most of the time. The MDF is on my wish-list.

I reckon that you will be VERY able to practice on a poor machine and get good at the details. Then, when you graduate to a nice machine, you will be able to enjoy it that much more. In the meantime, I reckon: save your pennies!

A little caveat: I get the impression that cheap machines mostly have pressurized baskets. That is easily repaired, though...

Re: What to pair with a Gaggia MDF?

Quote Originally Posted by 2323332F2E222B470 link=1331440910/1#1 date=1331455226
    For what its worth, once I got a second-hand Sunbeam EM 0480 Grinder, the coffee I could make out of my completel rubbish EM3500 became really good (with a LOT of attention to detail!) most of the time.* The MDF is on my wish-list.*

I reckon that you will be VERY able to practice on a poor machine and get good at the details.* Then, when you graduate to a nice machine, you will be able to enjoy it that much more.* In the meantime, I reckon: save your pennies!

A little caveat: I get the impression that cheap machines mostly have pressurized baskets.* That is easily repaired, though...
    Hi, thanks for this. After looking around I decided to go for the Sunbeam EM5900 for $188. Will probably give me problems (hearing how inconsistent Sunbeams quality is) but at least its not that expensive. Btw, I got the MDF for $150 so I reckon $338 for the setup shouldnt be too bad!?!