Thread: What to buy?

What to buy?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have a very limited budget, about $150 is it. Im currently using an BCG800 smart grinder with an Otto, but the time it takes to make a few espressos is getting annoying, and Im finding it very hard to get consistant results.

So, Im after a second hand machine, Im looking at anything around my budget. Ive been drawn towards a Gaggia classic if I can find one that will post to the N.T. Or otherwise its looking like a Sunbeam 6910 maybe or a Breville BES800 or 820.

What would be recommended out of something in this price range? Am I on the right track for a first machine? I know its not ideal and I should save more but I just need something that will get me through.

Thanks in advance.

Jai

Re: What to buy?

The Katherine thing does make it harder. Freight must be expensive even by road (even then probably with a Darwin pick up)? Buying an old machine sight unseen is risky too.

I imagine your familiar with Rancilio Silvias - plenty around but youll struggle to find one at $150.

A cimbali domus recently went unsold on ebay for $150. Look out for those (they go cheap because theyre pretty unknown with newbies)

Welcome from the small NT coffee conspiracy :)

When are you in Darwin next? Im selling my 820 with lots of extras but I was hoping for $300 with grinder, however if you want to look and take it off my hands without grinder and without me advertising I could be convinced :) Would you consider selling your otto?

Otherwise, try and get a 6910 if you can over the 8xx range. And consider the Silva as a single boiler alternative. Your grinder should be just fine for now.

HTH

PM sent to you iaindb!

Thanks for the quick replies!

1/2 an hr for 2 double shots out of the Otto this arvo has made me want an espresso machine even more!

I have a Gaggia Classic, with silvia wand, 3 baskets (blind, double, half) in perfect working order including accessories (tamper, cleaning powder) that I will very shortly be looking to divest myself of. I just changed the seals one month ago. If you can find the postage cost on top of your budget, I could help you out. ;)

PM sent claraflo

check out this one as well:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1331003997/2#2

not quite as good as the Silvia I hear, but still ok. Has a grinder you could flog off to recoup some costs, or perhaps not purchase in the first place.

Iain.

Ok, I have had a pretty decent budget increase thanks to the other half picking up a new job. And her love of warranties!

I know have about $700 to play with. Ill make a new post in the $500-$1500 section. Probably looking at a new Silvia though!

Thanks everyone. Iaindb especially!

Youre welcome :)

The Silvia will need manual priming so you dont boil it dry - but if youre only steaming this isnt too freuquent. Also it takes a little bit of surfing to get just right, but again that can be overcome by technique and later perhaps a PID.

Youre still welcome to drop in and have a look at my various machines in case you want some ideas ;) Theres not many stores you can walk into up here! We should have an NT snobs meet-n-greet...

With that new budget Jaishar you will be able to get something really very nice that will last you a while. Im sure the folks in the Mid-Range forum will give you plenty of options to mull over. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 4C444C4B4147250 link=1332297460/9#9 date=1332812968
    Youre still welcome to drop in and have a look at my various machines in case you want some ideas Theres not many stores you can walk into up here! We should have an NT snobs meet-n-greet...
    I might have to take you up on this offer at some stage! Especially when Im not doing a day trip to Darwin!

Quote Originally Posted by 464944574443494A250 link=1332297460/10#10 date=1332813406
    With that new budget Jaishar you will be able to get something really very nice that will last you a while. Im sure the folks in the Mid-Range forum will give you plenty of options to mull over.* ;)
    Thanks mate, Im looking forward to getting something thatll give me decent shots!