Thread: Beginners Questions-EM5900

Nix

Beginners Questions-EM5900

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi guys
    I recently got myself a sunbeam EM5900 and I have noticed a few things that I need help with.

1.) the coffee is too runny and not honey-like. I know you are suppose to get around 30ml in 30 odd seconds but i get almost double that in 30 seconds. what can i do to solve this problem? Ive been reading that changing the filter from dual walled to single might help true? should i buy a BSWF100 from breville?
    Im a poor uni student so I have yet to buy a grinder so Ive been getting my beans pre-ground in small quantities from seven seeds(its right across the road from where i live)
    which brings me to my next question
    2.) what grinder would you recommend me to get?(something that is not ridiculously expensive)
    3.) Is it true that you can mod the settings for the EM5900 to get better steam output and coffee??
    Thanks in advance ^_^

Re: Beginners Questions-EM5900

hi Nix

this was my second machine on my coffeesnobs journey and it is definitely capable of producing some very good espresso :)

1) in terms of fast, runny pour there are many reasons this could be happening - grind being too coarse, stale coffee etc. do yourself a favour though and get a single wall filter set because that is not helping at all!

2) a good grinder is very very important. get the best one you can for your budget! in terms of lowest price and decent quality em450/480 is a good starting place. breville smart grinder is next step up

3) turn up the steam pump rate and temperature to max. instantly gave me better results with my milk!

have fun :)

Hi Nix, welcome to the group of poor uni student snobbers!

You say youre getting 60ml in 30 seconds? Is this with the double or single basket?

The grinder is definitely the next upgrade, I think. Its hard to tell the result of getting single walled baskets with the seven seeds coffee. Up until recently, Ive been using the Sunbea EM480. Good grinder, definitely worth it. Buy a grinder, and buy some single walled baskets! And then buy freshly roasted whole beans!

And let the journey begin. :)

David

yes the BSWF100 is a good start but it wont help all that much with pre-ground beans. For a start they age much faster, usually before you start using them, but more importantly you cant tweak the grind from shot to shot to find out what helps. You could ask for a slightly finer grind next time and see how it goes.

Also, 60mL in 30s is ok for a double basket.

From time to time a EM0480 comes up between $free and $100 so keep your eyes out. This will be sufficient but you may be happier for longer with the Breville smart grinder. In the mean time, look out for a hand grinder in lawn sales and second hand shops - another cheap starting point.

HTH :)

Nix

thanks for the advice guys.
    i just increased my steam temperature and pump rate(should it be wettest or driest?)
    Ill keep an eye out for a grinder...got myself a proper tamper that actually fits and it seems to improve the pour by a bit but still runny-probs the coffee itself.

I too have a similar setup with the em5900 & em0450 and am having multiple issues. I have the single floor bsfw100 breville filters and fresh whole beans ground as Im making the shot.

Firstly, I cannot get a decent shot from the single basket. Even when I put the grind setting on 1, I get about 30ml in 15 seconds. Ive tried numerous tamping techniques but none work (grind full, rest tamp and repeat 3 times) as well as grind, settle grind and then level off with finger then tamp. With the double basket, I can get 2 decent 30ml shots in about 20-25 seconds with a grind of about 5. This seams really low. Any suggestions? I dont really want to have to do 2 shots every time just to get a decent one.

The milk is a major issue too. No matter what I always end up with hundreds of tiny air bubbles. Ive been using a few cheaper cheaper machines for years and the milk is always perfect and silky. I tried the suggestion f turning the steam temp and pump rate up to max which helped marginally, but still nowhere near as good as on cheaper machines (although that said they take twice as long to texture)

Any suggestions (sorry- long post) I have a brand new em0480 still boxed up and not used but will this really make a difference? Is my em0450 stuffed?

Quote Originally Posted by 4D4049545E434E14142C0 link=1332656129/5#5 date=1332972213
    I can get 2 decent 30ml shots in about 20-25 seconds with a grind of about 5. This seams really low. Any suggestions?
    your number 5 is someone elses number 10 is someone elses number 2... so ignore the numbers ;) It varies from grinder to grinder, bean to bean, and person to person. The grinder setting number is almost completely irrelevant, except that it provides a relative point for you (and only you) to check against next time.

If the output is good, then dont even look at the number. It seems good for your double basket, which will always take a different grind than a single. Now, the single basket is gushing even on 1, which means you cant go any finer. I would order some shims from Sunbeam (look up 0480 and shim on this site and youll find heaps).

This will raise the lower burr marginally so its closer to the top burr (the existing washer compresses slightly over time). Be warned that your numbers will change again, and you may find you need to grind on 10 for the double and 5 for the single, or whatever trial and error tells you!

Hope that helps, and it sounds like Nix might be interested in your new 0480 ;)

Hi all, I just purchased this machine to go with my Breville smart grinder as it was only $188.

Just wondering what upgrades for this machine I need for good coffee.

I see that BSWF100 filters are recommened, do these make it non pressurised? is there anything else I need to get?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 6C444953484543260 link=1332656129/7#7 date=1333008594
    Hi all, I just purchased this machine to go with my Breville smart grinder as it was only $188.

Just wondering what upgrades for this machine I need for good coffee.

I see that BSWF100 filters are recommened, do these make it non pressurised?* is there anything else I need to get?

Thanks
    Yes, BSWF100 baskets are single-walled (not double, like the stock baskets), thus unpressurised. You have a good grinder, which was the next thing on the list. Fresh, good quality beans are next on the list. And a good tamper. :)

Thanks David8.

Now I understand the difference in single and double walled.

Is it easy to fit the BSWF100 filters? Sorry im a noob. Benn using a Stovetop.

I get my beans from Coffee Alchemy since I pass the area often.

Any suggestions on a tamper?

The double-walled baskets should just pop out of the group handle. Then you can just stick the new filters in to the handle.

There is also a Krups brand single walled basket available. The Brevilles are more similar to the stock sunbeam, so I would recommend these. I think the Krups have bigger holes than the Breville, so this may let coffee into the cup.

I think Pullman tampers will make a 51mm tamper for these baskets, if you can fit it in the budget. Youll definitely get a fantastic quality tamper though!

Some will disagree, but you may not need a precise fit tamper. So, if you can find a tamper with enough weight in the base, that fits well - Id go with that!

For instance, very nice tamper offered for sale a while ago: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1323404542

You wont get 50-60mL out of supermarket beans. You wont get a 30 second extraction, and if you do, itll taste horrible. You can get about 30-40mL. If you try to extract 50-60mL the last 20-30mL will be bitter tasting foulness.

You can get 40-50mL with fresh beans. Youll notice it comes out at the same rate but with more volume - it comes out like caramel, almost thick and creamy. Poor quality / stale coffee comes out black to start, not brown, and goes blonde much quicker.

The timing is just a guide. Cut the shot when it loses colour.

Quote Originally Posted by 6643544B461A220 link=1332656129/8#8 date=1333008987
    Yes, BSWF100 baskets are single-walled (not double, like the stock baskets), thus unpressurised. You have a good grinder, which was the next thing on the list. Fresh, good quality beans are next on the list. And a good tamper. :)
    Youll also want to remove the baffle as it will interfere with your coffee coming out, making it harder to judge the shot. Youll need to find something to plug the little hole though.

Im no expert, but for what its worth, Ive had this machine for a while now, and find that (when it was working at least) made an excellent coffee.

It took me a while to work it out but to get the best extraction I did need a medium to fine grind that was well tamped.

Usually Id fill to almost the top, then tamp, then fill again, tamp then clean up the edges. This usually gave me the best extraction possible.

One other thing I found - allowing at least 10 minutes for warm up seemed that the extraction was better. That said, the machine would still work OK when I was too impatient and only left about 3 minutes warm up.

The machine is currently broken at the moment *snif* but hopefully I can get it up and running again...

Hope this helps :)