Thread: First espresso machine: BES840 + BCG800

First espresso machine: BES840 + BCG800

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone, I am looking to improve my coffees for a reasonable amount of money; I have a budget of potentially 600 dollars and I am looking for any opinions people have about what I have chosen.

I have decided on the BCG800 grinder; I was hoping to buy this online to save 50 bucks or so and to match it, a BES840 "infuser" from breville. To note I could not see much reason for the BES820 despite being the same price.

another thing I should mention is the BES840 will have to be second hand or refurbished to fit within budget, any opinions on quality of these machines second hand?

My coffee history is lots of cafe drinking until I moved out of home to student life :P which moved me to drip; then I stopped drinking milk with coffee and I started tasting the coffee much more which led me to the espresso machine.

Re: First espresso machine: BES840 + BCG800

I very much doubt that you would be able to find a BES840 secondhand anywhere, Given that it was released to the market less then a month ago as a replacement to the BES820.

So youre more likely to find secondhand BES800/820s about then you will stumble across a BES840 on ebay/cash-converters

Id suggest a secondhand/refurbished BES800, sure, you dont get the fancy programmable buttons, but to be honest, you dont need any of that, you can achieve the same outcome with counting in your head and a little bit of knowledge.

Failing that, buy a cheaper unit and save your bikkies to upgrade later, the grinders the more important part anyway.

Grinder is same as i have and its really good. Machine well depends on your budget mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by 587561737C7D7A73556052756071140 link=1333178748/1#1 date=1333187595
    Given that it was released to the market less then a month ago as a replacement to the BES820.
    Well that explains why I cant find it second hand anywhere :P

So now im aiming for a BES820; I guess its just a waiting game until something comes up. Thanks for that info.

@Thirteen, Thanks, thats good to know, it was hard to figure out how much to spend on something that would perform well; everything is just 50 dollars better until you are way out of your budget depth :P

is there actually a machine you want ? or you just sitting at about $600?

Well after 2 weeks of research that was the best I could come up with for $600 that is minus $200 for the grinder; budget is a little flexible maybe +-100$, that is just a matter of not eating much for two weeks haha.

Did you have a suggestion for a machine?*

People seem to have some joy with the Silvia and i think from memory thats around your price range...
    Alot of people comment on the Sunbeam (cant remember model number) as being a good choice too.. However also seems they like to die after 3 years.
    Ive never used either machine so i cant comment, but this forum is full of ALOT of comments on both machines.

I guess one way to find out is, either go through the <$500 main list and look at the machine discussions, people give there oppions in there. Also if you are around $600-$700 go into 500-1500 section and have a read too.

Youll be able to read the difference between the 2 classes of machines.

When you find what you like, go into the shops and have a physical look at the machines see if you like the look of them too. They will be living on the bench after all.
    First time i saw the BES900, i was like Wow, what a beast. Its about the size of 1.5 LARGE microwaves.. Has a decent footprint on the bench.
    Just start with the machine discusions and see what you come up wtih

EDIT* Just saw your message above;I have heard they die after three years as well :( but hopefully I will only have this breville for under a year before sorting out my options for upgrading; I am new to all of this so I think starting out on a less expensive machine until I get some insight would be beneficial; That is where I hope this BES 820 can help.*

I have found a 3 year old BES820 for sale at a good price; I think I might get it.

If its a good price then go for it. If its cheap enough and decides to kick the bucket at any point its not a hgue waste as what you will learn can help you decide wether you want to get a better machine or something on par.

Yes, my sentiments exactly. I have organised to pick it up next week,
    Thanks again for your help and advice!

No ones mentioned single wall or unpressurized baskets I think, so I will. Your coffee experience will be much better with them.* A second hand Breville will probably come with the original dual wall ones. These produce a fake crema.

Single wall/unpressurized can be bought as an accessory or the ohers can be converted. A fellow CSer ofers this as a virtually free service in "Pay it forward" board* I think.

Another thing to consider is the graeme. Thats the name given here to the plastic insert inside the portafilter. Crud builds up under it over time (a very short time) and thats not desirable either. They are easily removed in the BES8xx range.

Theres lots written here about the benefits of both changes.

Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks dabbler; the description says the machine comes with three filters so I will have to wait and see if they are pressurized or unpressurized.

I will definitely remove that graeme thing; seems to be a repeated topic in the forums. And I cant quite visualize the solutions to filling the third hole in the* middle after removing said part but im sure once I take a look I will figure it out.