Thread: old/used Saeco Via Venezia or new Breville or Sunbeam entry level?

old/used Saeco Via Venezia or new Breville or Sunbeam entry level?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi CSers, Ive been lurking around and reading as much as I can but feel the time has come to get some more personalised advice.

Ive been using an Aeropress and Sunbeam EM0430 burr grinder for the last 12 months and have enjoyed the results but find the one thing that is lacking most is the lack of texture in the milk, which I usually just heat on the stove or in the microwave.

So rather than just buy a milk frother I thought Id look at upgrading to an entry level espresso machine and probably a decent grinder as well (EM0450 or EM0480 or Breville Smart Grinder).

Of course after a few hours of CS reading I cant just buy any espresso machine can I!!!

So Im asking for advice in choosing from the following options:

1. 8 year old Saeco Via Venezia - $40 in classifieds - seller says it still pulls good shots but loses a bit of pressure when steaming milk, can probably be fixed I guess.

2. 4 year old Saeco Via Venezia - $70 in classifieds - seller says working well.

3. New Breville Venezia BES250 - $150 shipped from online non-sponsor

4. New Breville BarVista BES200 - $117 shipped from online non-sponsor

5. New Breville Cafe Roma ESP8C - $128 shipped from online non-sponsor

6. New Sunbeam Cafe Espresso EM3600 - $111 shipped from online non-sponsor

If you have any other suggestions feel free to suggest.

I dont drink espresso or black coffee that much, mainly flat whites so decent steaming function is important to me. Ill be using whatever I buy to make two cups each weekday and 3-4 each weekend day.

My limit is $200 for the grinder and $150 for the machine but the cheaper the better which is why Im looking for second hand bargains.

Thanks in advance.

Re: old/used Saeco Via Venezia or new Breville or Sunbeam entry level?

hmm.... no one has an opinion on this?

Have I broken some golden newbie rule and am subsequently being shunned? :P

Quote Originally Posted by 434A49494A524057250 link=1334063979/1#1 date=1334145009
    hmm.... no one has an opinion on this?

Have I broken some golden newbie rule and am subsequently being shunned?* :P
    Probably difficult to give much of an opinion since I havent used most of those before. Ive owned the Saeco, and that was a good entry level machine. Its probably the only boiler machine in the list, is it not? I assume all those others are thermoblock machines?? Id rather a boiler machine over a thermoblock - better steam pressure. Ive never been impressed with the cheap Breville and Sunbeam thermoblock machines that friends of mine have. If the Saeco is in good condition, or can be brought up to good condition without spending too much on it, Id go for that.

cafe roma imo is bad my steam function is a hot water tap

With those limits, If I were you, Id go for something like the 2nd hand Rocky for sale here and one of those Via Venezias.

With a little temp-surfing, a decent grinder the little Saeco can produce a decent coffee. Ive had mine for about 9 years now and its still going strong, just the occassional de-scale. I also own a Rocky, had that for about 7 years (3 of those in hibernation), good grinder.. Better out there for sure but its a decent unit.

Every now and then I leave it on and it boils dry, just a matter of re-priming the pump which can take some time , I almost thought Id killed it a few times but each time it eventually primes with enough cycling of the shot button and the hot water dispenser (steam knob without steam button depressed)

There is also the option of just spending it all on a good grinder and then saving up for an espresso machine but for $70 the Saeco is good value.

Rbn

I wonder how you got on.

We have a Breville Bar Vista in our campervan and a Sunbeam, (see my details left) at home in the house. We have had them both for 3 years, and the one in the house does 1-2 cups per day. It has not given any problem.